Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a motorcycle shop to get some fork oil for my manitou Mars. They ended up only carrying honda oil. Has Anybody used it before? Any reason it might not be good for my fork? Its ss7, 5 wt, doesn't say synthetic, says protection for seals and bushings against excessive wear and deterioration. I was hoping they would have silkolene, maxima or belray or something, probably ended up paying just as much as bike-specific, I guess I'll try somewhere else next time.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
HVskier said:
I went to a motorcycle shop to get some fork oil for my manitou Mars. They ended up only carrying honda oil. Has Anybody used it before? Any reason it might not be good for my fork? Its ss7, 5 wt, doesn't say synthetic, says protection for seals and bushings against excessive wear and deterioration. I was hoping they would have silkolene, maxima or belray or something, probably ended up paying just as much as bike-specific, I guess I'll try somewhere else next time.
No I haven't but 7.5 wt will overdamp your fork.

Any brand of fork oil is fine as long as it is from the same wt or you would want to intentionally change the damping on your fork (higher wt = more damping, lower wt = less damping).

Your Mars needs Manitou M-Prep or Rock n' Roll Super-Slick grease injected thru the Microlube ports to protect the bushings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, sorry, its 5 wt. I guess I wrote that bad. I use prep m the microlubes ports, just reading what it says on the bottle

Warp2003 said:
No I haven't but 7.5 wt will overdamp your fork.

Any brand of fork oil is fine as long as it is from the same wt or you would want to intentionally change the damping on your fork (higher wt = more damping, lower wt = less damping).

Your Mars needs Manitou M-Prep or Rock n' Roll Super-Slick grease injected thru the Microlube ports to protect the bushings.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
HVskier said:
yeah, sorry, its 5 wt. I guess I wrote that bad. I use prep m the microlubes ports, just reading what it says on the bottle
You'll be doing fine, Son. Next time look for Torco, Maxima or Spectra fluids... those are supposed to be better.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
I went with the 10 wt Silkolene in my zoke and so far its been very nice.
I was a little surprised when I opened it up and found out its red.
I changed the damper side last night and the red turned purple with use.
Inadvertant color coding.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
HVskier said:
Just have the motorcycle shop order you some Specto Cartridge fork oil. Marzocchi uses 7.5 wt (125 / 150 per Spectro)

I don't know what weight is spec'd for your Mars.

About the fork oil tat you bought. It will be OK as long as it's made for cartridge forks. You may want to check that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They ended up only carrying honda oil. Has Anybody used it before? Any reason it might not be good for my fork?

I am a dirt bike rider/ racer. I ride only Honda's and lemme tell you, Honda makes darn good chemicals and lubes. Think how much more abuse dirtbike forks take whenever landing a machine that big. It can take way more than a mountain bike can dish out. Honda, Maxima are great. I also recomend Bel-Ray water-proof grease. It can be found at any motorcycle shop as well, i have my bottom bracket packed full of it, it keeps all water out and everything rolling as smooth as, well, grease. I have a lot of experience with Maxima in my old 2-strokes, HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!!! all thinks labeled MAXIMA, HONDA, BEL-RAY are excellent.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
I've been running Honda oil for 2 years in my 2003 Z1. I've changed it about 6 times. Finally settled on the Honda 10wt with my Z1 (I'm 225 with gear.) Still on the stock seals. I bought some spares, but haven't needed them.

I suspect that bikes actually work their shock oil similarly hard to that of a dirt bike. The reason is that a mountain bike fork has less than a 1/10 the volume of a typical dirt-bike fork. The travel is more like 1/3 to 1/2 so there is a higher percentage of the total oil being jammed through the damper on each compression / rebound cycle.

I know that some of the lower-volume oil damped forks and non-resevoir rear shock have problems with damping breakdown due to friction heating when riden hard (DH).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.