Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting rid of the pickup and getting one of those funny lookin' Honda Elements. Since they are marketed towards outdoorsie type people, I was hoping there'd be a few of yall here who have them, or know somebody who has one. Thoughts and opinions please? Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know anyone who has one, but I can give you my opinion anyway. Much like that one Scion model (I don't remember which one) I think it is just a big ass box. I am sure they are pretty nice vehicles, but I personally wouldn't want to own one. Just looks like it was put into a trash compactor and that is what came out. Go with a Subaru! I love mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
bikerboy said:
I am thinking about getting rid of the pickup and getting one of those funny lookin' Honda Elements. Since they are marketed towards outdoorsie type people, I was hoping there'd be a few of yall here who have them, or know somebody who has one. Thoughts and opinions please? Thanks.
I see a lot of them at cycling races and triathlons. They're great for holding bikes. I think you can actually get skewers attached to the floor so you only have to take off the front wheel and get to leave the bikes upright. No, they're not the coolest looking vehicles on earth, but they might be one of the most practical. They get good gas mileage too.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
bikerboy said:
The only thing stopping me from getting one is the lack of a bench rear seat. With 2 kids, we simply need space for a 5th passenger (kids' friends, mother-in-law, etc).

It's not just a "big box" like the other poster said. Go to the Honda site and fool around with some of their flash animations. It's a pretty cool car, and you can set it up a lot of different ways, including to haul multiple bikes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had mine for about a year and a half and 24,000 miles. Best car I ever had. Excellent in snow and ice. When the back seats are folded up, 2 bikes fir nicely in there with all wheels on. I can lay down full length in there. And, it is not a chick car or lesbian car. It also has nice screw in mounts built into the roof for my Thule rack.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Element vs Scion

KuNgFuDeViL said:
I don't know anyone who has one, but I can give you my opinion anyway. Much like that one Scion model (I don't remember which one) I think it is just a big ass box. I am sure they are pretty nice vehicles, but I personally wouldn't want to own one. Just looks like it was put into a trash compactor and that is what came out. Go with a Subaru! I love mine.
Element has 160 hp versus Scion's 108 hp.
Element is marketed towards outdoors type (option of seats that you can hose down, for example) versus Scion marketed towards urban/city.
Honda base price almost 18 grand
Toyota base much lower at almost 14 grand
The Honda is a bit longer, wider, and DEFINITELY roomier, and maximises space better.
Toyota significantly better on gas, though the Honda is not bad (honda 21/26 vs toyota 31/34)
A better comparison for the Element is the Toyota Rav 4, which I just traded in, but I don't even think those two are a good comparison. The element blows the rav 4 away, IMO. The only reason I had the Rav was the Element didn't come out till after I had gotten the Rav.

All in all, though they might appear somewhat similar (the Element and Scion), they are VERY different, and are marketed and appeal to different buyers.

I almost bought an Element, stangely enough the wife and I were torn between the Element and the Odyssey (yes, a minivan), and if I didn't have a daughter and plan on another in the near future, we would've gotten the element.

Personally, I really liked the Element, both driving it and the features, and the look. My wife hated the look until we drove it, then she fell in love with it. I like how the seats fold up for more storage, fold down for sleeping. The cockpit of the Element feels big and roomy, and with seat pushed way back there was still tons of leg room in the back seat. I also love Honda's and am constantly amazed at how well they hold their value versus other cars (Toyota's are similar but I just recently had a horrendous experience with Toyota on both the dealer and Corporate level, and would never personally buy another Toyota NO MATTER WHAT). And Honda's are reliable. I've also got a 97 Honda Accord wagon, which maybe one day will be replaced by the Element (if the Element is still similar in at minimum 5 years, which is how long I plan to have the wagon)

The model Element I looked at besides coming with a cd player also had a built in aux line-in feature so I could plug my mp3 player right in.

Subaru's are good cars, but they're not a great comparison to the Element. Compared to either the Subaru Forrester or Impreza Wagon, the Element has more cargo space, more rear leg room (not important to some, but the first time you and four buddies go on a long trip to the trails you'll be hearing about it as well as probably moving your seat up), and is cheaper. Granted, all models of Subaru's come all wheel drive, important to some, not so to me (as long as I've got front wheel drive, anyway), but for the price of a Forrester (a better comparison to the Element than the Impreza) you can definitely get an all wheel model Element, probably fully loaded down to side bars and a roof rack.

I'm not knocking wagons, as I noted above I own a wagon and I admit I love wagons but if I had to pick a wagon or the Element, I'd go with the element any day. But that's just me. :D

Go test an Element, and you'll probably buy an element!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I thought I wanted one until I drove my neighbor's. The visiblity really sucked for me - I couldn't see out the sides very well at all without totally relying on the mirrors. Disappointing.

·
telemarc
293 Posts
We love our element

We have had our element for almost 2 years now after ordering one and getting the first one on Vancouver Island. I have not 1 complaint about this vehicle and have done 2 trips across the province with 4 bikes on the back. We can easily get 2 DH or Xc bikes in the back , 3 if you really had to. We don't use the skewers as you don't need to take the tires off. Just wheel em in backwards and use hold downs .There are lots of loops to tie to.
I originally had the 1-1/4 hitch with a swagman X-treme 4 bike rack ,but with our new bikes this year that are not as rack friendly we are changing the setup to:
2" Valley hitch. Took 30 minutes to install.
Sportworks T2 2 bike rack with 3rd and 4th bike add on.I have the 2 bike rack already and it is awesome.I also got the riser assembly to get more clearance for ferry ramps. The bike add on's should arrive this week.The toaster has tons of power and is great in the snow.Easy to clean out(big sponge) and it is the first vehicle that has a good enough stock stereo that I didn't have to install a custom one, and I'm fussy about my music.When we daytrip we usually just put the bikes in side .Then we don't have to worry if we stop along the way.The rear seats came out the first week and have stayed in the garage.(NO KIDS!!!!!)But are easy to install( 2 minutes)If we had 2 new vehicles we would but another one without a dought or a WRX for fun not function.

·
XC CONVERT
110 Posts
I have a Scion XB and it has a lot of room for its occupants (I am 6'3" and have plenty of leg/head room). I believe the Element is better for fitting bikes inside even though the XB's back seats fold flat. I can get my bike in there, but have to remove the front wheel and lower the seat.

IMO the XB is better looking than the Element. I think the Element looks good when the quarter panels and bumpers are painted.....Come on Honda! Comparing horspower (160 vs. 108) isn't really a good comparison because the XB is much lighter than the Element. Expect the Scion to knock down close to 10 mpg more.

Quality wise both are top notch, but I beleive Toyota makes a more reliable product in general. My family had nothing but problems with their Honda Odyssey....two transmission, abhorent road noise (we decibel metered it and it was louder than my nephews tacoma with a flomaster!) and other smaller less than perfect attention to details. For what I paid for my XB.....the quality is outstanding.

If you do get the Element....paint the quarterpanels and bumpers to match, then lower it with some 20"'s...that would look very nice.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
bikerboy said:
I've had an element since 2003. I got one of the first with side air bags.

I love it. It handles well. easily holds both of my bikes....with the wheels on. It can easily carry 3 bikes inside with wheels on and the 2 back seats up.

It's great. I now can bike...then go eat somewhere without having to constantly worry that my bikes would be stolen...like I used to with my pickup. It's also great around the city. It's short so you can park it anywhere.

I highly recommend it. I like the way it looks.

·
Banned
683 Posts
They Kick ass

My buddy has one and he can put mtn bikes and all his camping stuff with room to spare. Not to mention, leg room in the front is insane. I am 6 foot and can almost walk around in the damn thing. I have an explorer with a V-6 and his little 4 banger is a straight up tie in a drag race with me. Plus...I think they look kind of cool. When I get back from Japan...I might get one. Honda makes good ****.
Over and out...

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Son of a b&&$#@

I've been wanting one of those but the ferry clearance had me wondering. Now I know. :rolleyes: Your post just cost me about $25,000+, CAD. Jim ((Bowen Isl)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You know that Dateline special every year where they go to the Insurance Institute place and watch them crash cars? The Element is the only car I have ever heard the guy actually say, "You will die in this crash, there is no doubt about it." Usually they throw around the maybes and what not. This time it was a "will". Pretty scary.

I don't know about the Scion, and I am sure other cars test porly as well, but that statement turned me off for sure. Now their data doesn't seem to be as scathing, and they did only test the non-side air bag model (they are available, but Honda did not submit one for testing.) I watched the dummy's head smash through the window and down on top of the concrete smasher-thing. It was the only car where the driver's head actually left the vehicle.
http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0308.htm

All I am saying here is really think this through. If you get one, definitely go for the side airbags.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Don't compare with Xb

If you see them side by side, nothing like each other.
Element is by far the best vehicle for MTB and skiing combined, which are my two favorite sports.
Muddy bike fits upright inside without taking off anything, and mud just wipes off the interior.
I can change into ski clothes inside the heated car, just need to stoop but I can stand with my legs straight (i'm 5'11") to put on a pair of ski pants.
Another good option would be a small pickup with locking camper top.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
You Should Read the Whole Article

24601 said:
You know that Dateline special every year where they go to the Insurance Institute place and watch them crash cars? The Element is the only car I have ever heard the guy actually say, "You will die in this crash, there is no doubt about it." Usually they throw around the maybes and what not. This time it was a "will". Pretty scary.

All I am saying here is really think this through. If you get one, definitely go for the side airbags.
I read the article, but there is no mention of death...or heads flying off. The only areas where there were problems was the side....and that was without side air bags. I'd like to see a comparison of similar vehicles without air bags

You also forgot to mentin that the Element got excellent..."Best Pick Frontal" for frontal crashes. It got the highest ratings for that.

Just get the Element with side air bags and you'll have a vehicle that's most likely safer than most in it's catagory.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
No Scions in Canada

and I don't buy my vehicles based on safety ratings, I buy them to drive. If we all bought based on safety, there'd be no pickups (lack of crumple zones), no SUVs (higer centre of gravity= rollover when unstable), etc etc etc.

I do drive defensively and would get side airbags. But just as I risk a broken neck doing FR at 58, (had 2 fellow riders break backs in /04), I choose to drive and take my chances with other less-responsible drivers that may, or may not, hit me.

Life's a risk. Thanks for the warning.

Jim

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
They so much as say that Honda should have provided a side airbag model, but Honda chose not to.

I understand the written report is less scathing. That is why I said it is less scathing. I am telling you what the guy actually said on TV, and what was obvious in the video. The head smashed through the window and onto the top of the barrier. There were no bones about it, you gonna die. Why they chose not to be as blatant in print I do not know. I am just telling you what was said and what was seen. Yes, side airbags would lessen that, which is why I said get the airbag model.

I have nothing to prove here, just providing information. I would not buy the vehicle without side curtain airbags, but there are plenty of other cars for which the same would be true. Quite frankly, the XB doesn't look too safe either, but doesn't seem to have been tested that way yet.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
OK, and to make me look dumb, I just looked up my car and it seems it got the same rating for the same reasons. So I guess I should have looked at this before I bought it a few years ago and chances are I will die.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.