Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it best to drink homogenized or skim milk after ride? I am afraid of cholesterol. Is anyone on MTBR is nutritionist? I want to gain some weight but don't want to lift weight.

·
too tired to be clever
117 Posts
Homogenization is a process used to keep the milk from separating out. I think everything on the store shelf is homogenized.

Skim milk has had the fat removed.

I think your question is about whole milk .vs skim milk, or one of the tweeners, like 1% or 2%. I'd look at the labels in the store to judge the cholesterol.

Me, I drink soy mik now, or at least I use it on my cereal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do you have high cholesterol or a family history of high cholesterol? If not, don't worry about it so much if you exercise. It's kinda hard to gain weight, muscle mass, without lifting weights. Cycling tends to keep you lean, your legs might get bigger, but your upper body tends not to grow. You don't have to do much lifting to add muscle mass. Push-ups. sit-ups, light dumbbells for arm, back, and shoulder work can add muscle mass (weight) with just 3-4 short work-outs a week, less than 30 min a day.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Picard said:
Is it best to drink homogenized or skim milk after ride? I am afraid of cholesterol. Is anyone on MTBR is nutritionist? I want to gain some weight but don't want to lift weight.
I drink skim milk.

Better for you than whole milk by a lot. I simply try to avoid fat and cholesterol and all those evil ingredients as much as possible. With the exception of eating chocolate though. Belgian chocolate .... mmmmmm :p

·
climb
2,293 Posts
RustyBearings said:
I drink skim milk.

Better for you than whole milk by a lot. I simply try to avoid fat and cholesterol and all those evil ingredients as much as possible. With the exception of eating chocolate though. Belgian chocolate .... mmmmmm :p
I don't think skim is better. I would rather have a 'whole' food than another processed food. Fat is not that evil especially after riding for many, many hours.

As for chocolate, no better anti-oxidant in the world.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you guys have blood check for choleterol 2 times a year? Has it gone down when you do ride MTB and also consume whole milk. I have to drink skim milk because there is heart problems in my family. I am scare to death of cholesterol. I get blook check regularly by family GP. I eat only lean meat.

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
jl said:
I don't think skim is better. I would rather have a 'whole' food than another processed food. Fat is not that evil especially after riding for many, many hours.

As for chocolate, no better anti-oxidant in the world.
I was brought up (or am being brought up :D ) drinking lots and lots of skim milk. I guess I'm just not used to whole milk. Same goes with butter. My facts were probably way off, but got to support my preference with something ;)

As for chocolate, those words are music to my ears :D Another reason to eat it !

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Picard said:
Did you guys have blood check for choleterol 2 times a year? Has it gone down when you do ride MTB and also consume whole milk. I have to drink skim milk because there is heart problems in my family. I am scare to death of cholesterol. I get blook check regularly by family GP. I eat only lean meat.
I wouldn't worry about milk and cholesterol. I would worry about hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils--they'll kill you. It's ironic that low-fat ice-cream and margarine have these oils. Whole milk ice cream and butter do not.

This is my attitude about food. The more it's handled by humans, the less I want it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
either as long as..

Drink either as long as it is organic. Maybe I put too much faith in the American press, but what Monsanto is doing to the dairy cow is just wrong ...unless you like drinking puss.

Better yet ,,,drink organic soy.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
1% here

Picard said:
and the family dos have a history of cholesterol. But at the same time i dont drink more than a glass of milk a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.