Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we've been getting nothing but snow for the last 3 weeks here in the high country, my riding has been limited - SO, it's time for the winter build projects. Here's what's been brewing in Cutthroat's work shop - I know it's no 6 Pack, but the frame came off Ebay with a bad complexion problem. A few hours with the fine grit sand paper, new decals and clear coat and a new parts package (most from the parts bin) and voila - a low budget substitute for a 6 Pack. I opted for SRAM to handle all the shifting, but stuck with Shimano for the rest of the drive train - a mix I like. I haven't ridden her yet with all the new snow but here's the spec:

Azonic Saber 2004 frame - 19"
Manitou Nixon Elite coil 115-145mm
Romic (a Manitou 4-way Air is on the way)
Shimano XT cranks, XT cassette and XTR chain
SRAM X-9 rear der.
SRAM X-Gen front der.
SRAM X-9 Shifters
Avid SD-7 levers
Avid BB-7 mechanical disks
WTB Dual Duty 32 hole rims with WTB Speed Disc hubs
Azonic bars
Ritchey post
Hope QR collar
Selle Italia Prolink saddle
ODI grips
Cane Creek S2 Headset
FSA 100mm stem
Geax Sturdy 2.25s

As built it comes out a 35lbs, a bit porky, but the 4-way will shave a pound and a lighter set of tubes and tires could cut more weight off. The Dual Duty wheelset is HEAVY but looks strong as hell. For less than the price of a Turner frame, this bike seems like a pretty good versatile build. You can change the shock mount position on the rockers to get 5" or 6" of travel. Now if the snow would let up I might be able to hit some trails on the front range for a test ride. Cheers..

Attachments

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Hell yeah, very nice, that sucker will rip at Keystone! Now go get an 8" rotor and a thru axle up front and your set.

BTW, don't bother coming over here, were snowbound too, especially after today!

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
Nice non-bling build. It looks like 99% of the fun at 50% of the price. Be careful, you may lose some Homer status riding around on a bike that cost more to build than a lot of used cars.;)

Also, can someone explain to me why TE's lawyers are not making Azonic put funny looking stickers on that frame?

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rroeder said:
Hell yeah, very nice, that sucker will rip at Keystone! Now go get an 8" rotor and a thru axle up front and your set.

BTW, don't bother coming over here, were snowbound too, especially after today!
Yes, the 8" rotor is next on the hit list. I debated about the through axel. but opted for a QR mount to allow me to swap out my other wheelsets if I wanted to convert the Saber to lighter 5" trail ride. Plus, I saw a lot of cracked Manitou through axel mounts. I'm such a wimp on the big drops that I think the QR mount will be fine. Keystone is definitely on the radar for this ride, although on Saturday it was the fat pig Teleboards and 15" of fresh pow! :p

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
2TurnersNotEnough said:
Also, can someone explain to me why TE's lawyers are not making Azonic put funny looking stickers on that frame?
Maybe the rocker pivot locations make it fall outside of TE's patents.

Maybe TE's been too busy threatening to sue other manufacturers to notice the Sabre.

or my favorite..... Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to it ...... yet.

TE is the AL Davis of the bike world.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Blue Shorts said:

Maybe TE's been too busy threatening to sue other manufacturers to notice the Sabre.

Or the company that makes the Sabre (Xtension and its parent company) are so large that TE would cut his own throat.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Is that right, you put it up for sale already? Itching for another project?

_MK

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MK_ said:
Is that right, you put it up for sale already? Itching for another project?

_MK
Just trolling for a resale - you never know. Maybe one step closer to a Pack or a Spot since another Turner is what I really want. :p

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tscheezy said:
CT, is that a crack in the chainstay yoke right there where all the other Azonics cracked? ;)
Bastard! :p
As I understand it, the chainstay cracks were a 2003 problem, resolved with beefier stays in 2004. Other problems with cracks or suspension hitting the seatstay were on the 17" frames and not the 19"ers - so I think I'm in the clear. One thing I did note is that the Turner frame tacos do a nice job of coralling the rear cables. On the Saber, the cables can hook on the QR collar at full compression - a zip tie around the cables as they fork around the seat tube gussett solved the problem, but DT's taco is a cleaner fix even with the housing wear issue. I guess now I need the full face helmet and the body armor!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
wrath of TE

Blue Shorts said:

he already got to 'em. that's why azonic isn't selling 'em anymore or the 4" propulsion. a real loss i think. ain't he a wunnerful fella?
'

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
tscheezy said:
What did you pay? Must have been cheap if you went for that over a used RFX.
The frame went on Ebay for $410. This one came with a seat post, QR clamp (that I promptly relegated to the bin for the Hope) and an extra spring for the Romic. You can do the math on the rest of the parts, many new, many used, but fully built, the bike came in well under the price of even MK's used RFX. I plan to ride it but sell it as soon as I can - then we'll look at a Spot or RFX (assuming the big travel bug continues to infect me).
(EDIT) By the way Tscheezy, it was your review of the Dual Duty wheelset (reluctantly approving) that made me decide to pick those up - heavy but burly as hell and a screaming deal from Greenfish ($189 for the set).

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,232 Posts
Hey, nice bike! I just ordered one myself, and I also scored a slightly used 4-way air on ebay to fit the frame.

Do you know if the mounting hardware for the romic will work on the swinger? If not, what exactly do I need to make it fit? Do I just call Manitou up and get some hardware? If so, do you know what the spacing is top and bottom for the shock mounts. I thought I read that it was 50mm and 22mm, but I can't find where I read that.

Thanks

Kapusta

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.