Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
... I guess you won't be
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but have any of you homers ever done this.....?

After years of the same !!! things happening to my lower back [last three weeks - very uncomfortable], I finally rolled the dice and tried a cracker. And after looking at my X-rays, and seeing what's gacked about my frame, two adjustments later and I'm feelin better than I've felt in months....And, my insurance is paying for a fair share of it....

Sure, I'm an ex-motocrosser, current mtb'er, snowboarder, bar-hopper, beer drinker, but I can't believe something so simple is making me feel so good again. I'm somewhat shocked and suprised.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I totally torched my back, just like last year laid up for weeks. It is all muscle fatigue related from over use and not enough strength excersize on the rest of my frame.

This year I went to one of those witchdoctors... brother of a co-worker... the man really knows his stuff. It still seems like a black art to me but sure enough it works. My Health care covers it too...or at least that's what they say now...we'll see in a few weeks.

A good back-o-cracker can work wonders.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i and many cyclist pals have gone this route with great success over the years. i owe my current back condition, though not perfect by any means, to the help of a good chiropractor. mine was also covered by insurance for the most part. my cracker split the difference with me to make it affordable and i repaid him with referals.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's kinda funny but when I reseached chiropractors on my insurance's website, I came across a cracker who was just around the corner from my house who actually was a former pro-motorcycle road racer...that was enough to convice me to trust that he actually knew the way over the handlebars, if ya know whaddi mean....and what you deal with afterwards....

thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I've never had luck with chiropractors. I've been to at least 6 of them and best case... nothing happened. Worst case.... the yutz didn't realize that I had cracked ribs and made things far worse.

For me... muscle relaxers in the short term... and physical therapy long term worked wonders.

Having said that... My wife has had positive experiences with Chiros.

Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Chiro

For the pas 17 years! Mie is also a runner, so we compair pains. Its a matter of the right tool for the job. Drugs work for somethings, but so do hands!

Bob W.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
He he he, I first started using chiropractic care 33 years ago, first for a tweaked lower back, now as maintenance for the body. I know much about the healing art; my wife is a chiropractor. As with any health care professional, there are good ones, and there are some you shouldn't go near. Some can make outrageous claims; but the basics of the philosophy is that by manipulating subluxations in the spinal column, the nervous systemis allowed to operate nominally. That is a very general statement, but it is the root of the process. It is not woo-woo witch doctor stuff.
That being said, I do like a couple vicoden, mixed with alcohol too!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Just trying to understand basics of this art:

I have nothing against the art of aligning one's vertebral column (VC) but manipulation of the VC to allow the CNS to operate "normally" does not make much scientific sense since neuronal signal transmission is not regulated by the alignment of the VC. The VC is merely a conduit for the "wires", if you will.

Edit: I posted as my new neighbour is a "cracker" and I'm thinking, what the heck, maybe I'll give it a try but I;m just not convinced yet... :)

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Scuba, the vc is the conduit for the nerves, and at each junction between vertebrae, nerves exit the conduit en route to every part of our bodies. That exit space I believe is called a foramen. The space is limited in size. When a segment of the spine [vertebrae] is out of alignement either rotationally, side to side, or forward or backwards, the nerve exit space can get closed down, pinching down on the nerves. Dependant upon the degree of pinching, you can experience dull pain, sharp pain, numbness or simply a decrease in the effectiveness of muscle groups or organs. When a chiropractor "cracks your back", they reestablish the correct alignement. The crack you here is merely the sound created by the relese of small amounts of gass that are found in each joint. My wife calls them "spine farts".
Further elaboration can be seen here, with pics and graphs!:
http://www.chiromatrix.com/Chiropractic_Website_Spine_Simulator/nerve_chart/

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Renegade said:
Scuba, the vc is the conduit for the nerves, and at each junction between vertebrae, nerves exit the conduit en route to every part of our bodies. That exit space I believe is called a foramen. The space is limited in size. When a segment of the spine [vertebrae] is out of alignement either rotationally, side to side, or forward or backwards, the nerve exit space can get closed down, pinching down on the nerves. Dependant upon the degree of pinching, you can experience dull pain, sharp pain, numbness or simply a decrease in the effectiveness of muscle groups or organs. When a chiropractor "cracks your back", they reestablish the correct alignement. The crack you here is merely the sound created by the relese of small amounts of gass that are found in each joint. My wife calls them "spine farts".
Further elaboration can be seen here, with pics and graphs!:
http://www.chiromatrix.com/Chiropractic_Website_Spine_Simulator/nerve_chart/
Spine fart. That's funny.
There are many explanation for why manipulation works. Another is that muscle tension is relieved and that, in reality, there is no effect on the nervous system.
Regardless, in the hands of a good practitioner, manipulation is safe and often effective (although not universally so by any means).
The trick is finding someone who is good and doesn't sling bullcrap dogma. And if it doesn't work then further exploration for the source of the pain is warranted.

Or just try heroin & meth.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Hey, I'm all for the heavy duty painkillers, especially for recreational purposes.:thumbsup:
Yes, there are plenties of theories, beliefs, and notions as to why and how manipulation works. As Squeak will tell you, Osteopathic physicians perform very similar adjustments. Finding the right practitioner for you is the most important part, not only finding a competent one, but one that you trust and beleive in. Healing isn't just physical.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Renegade said:
He he he, I first started using chiropractic care 33 years ago, first for a tweaked lower back, now as maintenance for the body. I know much about the healing art; my wife is a chiropractor. ...
So you married your back-O-cracker? Some guys will do anything to get out of paying a bill!!
Heeeaayy....Isn't there some kind of law or regulation against doctor-patient relationships?:eekster:

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Bikezilla said:
So you married your back-O-cracker? Some guys will do anything to get out of paying a bill!!
Heeeaayy....Isn't there some kind of law or regulation against doctor-patient relationships?:eekster:
When I met the future Mrs. Renegade, she was fresh out of school with a master's degree in excercise physiology, which is about as worthless a degree as many when it comes to getting a job. A couple of years of shacking up together, and we moved out of state so she could attend chiropractic college. I supported both of us during the school years, and the 5 years following that, so she could build a practice and pay off her school loans. What I'm getting at is, I earned my in house chiropractic care!
Actually, she doesn't work on me. Many health care practitioners don't work on their spouses/family. I see some of her colleagues, I pay on a barter system.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Ah yes, a foramen; just a fancy word for a hole in a bone...:D

Thanks for the info Rene 'n Squeak. Maybe I'll give it a try.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's interesting to see what everyone has to say about this.....

I'm going to give it a go, just because I'm tired of relying on over the counter pain pills to mask what's goofed up w/ me spine. It sucks to have to time your pill eating so it doesn't interfere w/ your beer drinking [don't want to f-up my liver too quickly]

That said, it's been two days since my last adjustment and I still have absolutely no pain, and have a range of motion I had forgotten about.....I like it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts