Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of using a smaller tube and cutting it to the size of your rim and using as a rim strip similar to Stan's tubeless rimstrips. Has anyone else heard of this/had any sucess?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
If you want to try it there is an easier way and about the same cost.
Maxxis strips. I have a few. have not tried them yet. Sealed up great with their matching TS tires (set of 2 tires, 2 strips and patch kit for $10).

$5 each, $5 shipping per order. Free tshirt this month.

Be sure to order the proper width for your rims.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Hmmmm...

Mountainbikextremist said:
I have heard of using a smaller tube and cutting it to the size of your rim and using as a rim strip similar to Stan's tubeless rimstrips. Has anyone else heard of this/had any sucess?
Sounds pretty plausable. I don't know if I would trust it a long way wrom home though. Duct tape works great for non-tubeless tires.

·
✭✭✭
31 Posts
use 20" bmx tubes

For the last 18 months I've been using Salsa 20" bmx tubes, Presta valve, with Stans No Tubes. Cut the tubes open, lay them into your rims with some soapy water, mount your tires, and then with an Xacto blade trim off the excess rubber once the beads pop into place and your tires are mounted. I've found they actually work better than Stans rimstrips and the tires don't burp. I blew a Fire XC Pro off a Mavic 223 rim using Stans rimstrips after I ran over a goat head bur on the ascent and the tire deflated to about 25psi before the latex sealed the puncture (and sprayed latex all over my back and neck)...on the fire road descent I rolled the tire right off the rim at about 38mph and miraculously hung on and skidded to a stop. After an hour of filing the burs out of the rim and ghetto-truing it trailside I was back on the bike and finished my 30 mile loop. I suggest running them at at least 35psi. If you're worried about them, carry a 26" spare tube with you if you're venturing far. And carry tools. You're riding an experimental combination most likely beyond the r & d foresight of the rim manufacturer, so don't be too surprised if something goes wrong...just be prepared.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It Works!!

I just got done putting the ghetto style tubeless in. I didnt mount my tire before trimming off the excess though. Whoops! Still works though. I havent taken it on any serous trails though...we just got 6+ inches of snow last night :( They are holding their air so far though. I should have though of this a long time ago! Thanks for the help! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.