Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from visiting the mother-in-law's house. She knows I am a big biking enthusiast so she was anxious to show me her homemade indoor bike trainer. Please keep in mind she grew up on a farm, with parents that survived the great depression. In other words, nothing ever gets thrown out and you recycle EVERYTHING.

In this case she managed to rig up an old bike with an old music stand (to hold a reading book while she rides). A friend welded up a stand for the back tire to sit on. The duct taped pedal adds a nice touch as well. Quite resourceful eh?

Who needs to spend $1000 on an in indoor trainer??????

bikerneil

Attachments

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
i don't see any method of resistance. Am i missing something?

·
Kosher Princess
748 Posts
rkj__ said:
i don't see any method of resistance. Am i missing something?
Duh, you need special riding gear, which provides the resistance.

Oh yeah, and having a grilled PB&J+Bananas sandwich just out of reach is for the more experienced rider.

Not to mention the seat, which simulates riding on the slope of a single humped camel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I thought that resistance is provided by that black "stuff" on the chain stay that is also wrapped around the kick stand. :D

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
I think it is very cool. Tell your mom-in-law congrats on the smart re-use of old stuff!

But really - is there any resistance? Or is it just for joint movement to improve bloodflow and flexibility?

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
there's crappy mag trainers to be had for $100(maybe a bit less, but that's the cheapest my store has) and i'd imagine it took at least a couple hours to get that whole thing set up, plus there doesn't appear to be any resistance. creative and kinda neat, but functional? hardly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts