Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is really cool and decided to buy me a new hardtail frame for my birthday. Both of us being rather poor at the moment did cause me to make some concessions as to the price of said frame. So, I decided to go with one of the cheap $45 Nashbar steel frame. I built one up a few months ago to use up a bunch of parts I had around. It actually rode very well, so I figured I might as well get another one since I sold that bike. I will be swapping my current bike's parts over and adding a suspension fork.

Anyway, as some folks might know, this frame is painted, but completely lacking any decals. Aside from a funky looking sticker I already picked out to go on the downtube, I want to keep it rather simple by only adding a headbadge. I was thinking about cool little things I could use to make my own unique headbadge for the bike. First, I thought about getting a beer bottle cap from one of my preferred brews, flattening it out, and attaching it. I also though about finding a smaller cassette cog and contouring it to the headtube and using that.

I'd love to hear what others have done or suggestions. Pictures are great too. I don't necessarily want to copy someone, but seeing other things will help me get the ideas flowing. Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One guy I rode with years ago hade his own out of a scrap of stainless steel and a jeweler saw. Very cool.
You can also go to a headshop, get some jewelry and contour it around the headtube with a hammer. Saw a homemade badge that looked like some weeds made that way.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have been working on a secret bike light project (been too poor to start it earlier when the days were shorter) and I have found that aluminum is quite easy to work with. I have been using a hacksaw, a file, and sandpaper to make aluminum parts for my project. Cutting with a hacksaw has been easy and the file and sandpaper make quick work of shaping, smoothing, and polishing. After this, I was considering a custom headtube badge myself.

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Two ideas, both of which have worked fine for bikes in my fleet. Cut the blue ribbon off the front of a can of PBR and use some double-sided foam tape to attach it. Or leave your favorite bottle of beer in the cooler to soak overnight, and then slip the label off and apply it to your headtube.
- Joe

bikerboy said:
My girlfriend is really cool and decided to buy me a new hardtail frame for my birthday. Both of us being rather poor at the moment did cause me to make some concessions as to the price of said frame. So, I decided to go with one of the cheap $45 Nashbar steel frame. I built one up a few months ago to use up a bunch of parts I had around. It actually rode very well, so I figured I might as well get another one since I sold that bike. I will be swapping my current bike's parts over and adding a suspension fork.

Anyway, as some folks might know, this frame is painted, but completely lacking any decals. Aside from a funky looking sticker I already picked out to go on the downtube, I want to keep it rather simple by only adding a headbadge. I was thinking about cool little things I could use to make my own unique headbadge for the bike. First, I thought about getting a beer bottle cap from one of my preferred brews, flattening it out, and attaching it. I also though about finding a smaller cassette cog and contouring it to the headtube and using that.

I'd love to hear what others have done or suggestions. Pictures are great too. I don't necessarily want to copy someone, but seeing other things will help me get the ideas flowing. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.