Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good recipes for homemade gels? I tried using the forum search function but I didn't really find anything relevant - although I'm sure this topic has probably been posted before.

thx :thumbsup:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Check Dirt Rag...

redbugcr said:
Anyone have any good recipes for homemade gels? I tried using the forum search function but I didn't really find anything relevant - although I'm sure this topic has probably been posted before.

thx :thumbsup:
They did an article a while back on homebrew energy gel. www.dirtragmag.com

Basically, the recipie was something like a cup of honey, a few tablespoons of blackstrap molasses, a pinch of salt, and stuff to flavor it up... maybe even super strong espesso for caffine. You can even mix protien powder in. Then, add water to make it runny enough to put in a Gu flask, and be able to suck on it when needed.

I tried it once and had good results a while back.

·
Registered
751 Posts
what would be the purpose of cooking homemade gels, when the packaged stuff works so well and is so cheap? seems like it would be an awful lot of work to reinvent the wheel...

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
My GF's dad swears by cake iceing. I wouldn't know I dont really use it. Her dads kind of a strange guy, but he was a college track coach for 30 years, and was also in the 1968 Olympic trials as a marathon runner. He still runs a high amount of marathons a year for a 60 year old man, but he's retired so all he does is run. Man I've never seen anyone who loved running so much!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a few good reasons... for me at least

Thanks Pimpbot.

For me there are a few good reasons to look into making my own gels.

a) cost - they may be cheap at a bit over $1 each but they end up adding up if you think about how many you buy in a year.
b) think green - reduced use of plastics and other non biodegradable materials in packaging
c) all natural - I can control what I put in my body. Not sure what preservatives/additives are in the store bought kind.

·
6,360 Posts
Bwahhhaaa

kidd said:
forrest gump!

Ok that's pretty friggen funny. But I live in Alabama they live in Atlanta but mabye close enough...

Edit: Damn I hope the flavor wasn't the one that life is like...

·
Registered
199 Posts
i make it with a random combo of brown rice syrup, honey, molasses, buckwheat honey and maple syrup. not necessarily all the ingrediants in one batch, but i rotate through. i dont have a set recipe, just whatever i feel like. the molasses has a strong flavor so i dont get too carried away with that. and water to thin it out a bit. sometimes a add a squirt or two to my water bottles.

i feel those little packets are a crazy waste of resources. right up there with co2 cartridges, and ketchup packets:nono: .

·
Registered
108 Posts
ssissy said:
i make it with a random combo of brown rice syrup, honey, molasses, buckwheat honey and maple syrup. not necessarily all the ingrediants in one batch, but i rotate through. i dont have a set recipe, just whatever i feel like. the molasses has a strong flavor so i dont get too carried away with that. and water to thin it out a bit. sometimes a add a squirt or two to my water bottles.

i feel those little packets are a crazy waste of resources. right up there with co2 cartridges, and ketchup packets:nono: .
Yes, it's too bad Costco doesn't sell a giant tub of Goo with a nice pump dispenser...

·
6,360 Posts
mtbklutz said:
Yes, it's too bad Costco doesn't sell a giant tub of Goo with a nice pump dispenser...

Yeah than you could smear little dabbs of it in diffrent places on your body, and use as needed...

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,623 Posts
TrekFan said:
what would be the purpose of cooking homemade gels, when the packaged stuff works so well and is so cheap? seems like it would be an awful lot of work to reinvent the wheel...
Cheap? I guess it's all relative. I find tham all rather expensive. From the ingredients I have seen listed here, making your own would be a lot cheaper.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you want to go with something a bit more scientific formulation like exactly what's in most of the gels, try a mixture of maltodextrin, fructose, electrolytes, and mabye some BCAAs. Balance out your carbohydrate grams, 70% maltodextrin and 30% fructose. Just a pinch of the other stuff. This mixture is rather liquidy though. You can add some fruit pectin to thicken it up.

Most of the ingredients are available here:

http://www.proteinfactory.com

But yes, if you do a search, you'll find other posts on the subject.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I need potassium for cramps and low sodium.

People said gatorade more sodium than pottasium.

People said power aid more pottasium

Hey orange juice has loads of pottasium and low sodium.

I have been using for years.

Next step dilute out and add to some carbs.

And why in case i dont have any thing else handy.

·
Registered
751 Posts
kapusta said:
Cheap? I guess it's all relative. I find tham all rather expensive. From the ingredients I have seen listed here, making your own would be a lot cheaper.

you can get gu or powergel 24 for $20. that's pretty cheap and convenient. as for the environment, gu has a kickass empty wrapper recycling policy.

i'm not discouraging you from making your own gel mind you. in fact on the surface it's probably a cool idea. but for me, the prepackaged stuff it is. i am a lazy, lazy bum...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd have to say that GU does have an excellent recycle program - I"m colecting all my packets and waiting for someone to go up and mail them in for me :)

As for them being cheap, I guess that's relative. For an person using US currency it's $1, but for me that's $2 so it ain't really all that cheap. Might try mixing up a concoption and giving it a try, but then again I really don't use GU too often, 'cept on really long road rides (which I don't do all to often) or sometimes on an epic MTB ride. Other wise I stick w/ banans, apples, snack bars, bagels etc. I used to use it a lot when I first started, but now my fitness level is quite high I try to ride/train without it so when I do need it, it has that extra kick my body's not accustomed to.

TrekFan said:
you can get gu or powergel 24 for $20. that's pretty cheap and convenient. as for the environment, gu has a kickass empty wrapper recycling policy.

i'm not discouraging you from making your own gel mind you. in fact on the surface it's probably a cool idea. but for me, the prepackaged stuff it is. i am a lazy, lazy bum...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Man are you kidding, the tri-berry tastes aweful :p Only flavour they sell that really "tastes" great is the Chocolate Outrage, banana and vanilla aren't bad.

TrekFan said:
no way man, the vanilla is delicious. so is the tri berry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts