Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
During Build

Here is a pic of my 2001 Factory when it was being built. Seatpost, stem and bars are different now, though.

Too bad it's a 19" and not a 17". I am currently in the process of trying to sell the frame for something smaller.:sad::sad:

Attachments

·
schwinn fanatic
33 Posts
My '97 Factory Straight 6

Hey guys, wanted to share this with everyone. It's my 1997 Factory Straight 6. Love this bike, probably the one I value most. All stock except for the neck, bars, grips, and headset.

Breakdown:

1997 Homegrown Factory 7005 frame/6061 swing arms
Chris King headset
Sun rims front and rear
Hayes/DT front hub/rotor/caliper/lever
Hope Big Un/C2 rear caliper/lever
Maxxis tires
Rock Shox Boxxer 6" travel front fork
Rock Shox Coupe DeLuxe 2" travel rear shock
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
Grip Shift 8 spd shifter

I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do. Love these bikes, and thanks for letting me share!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
i'm hungry for more... :D
Sorry man, but I haven't added anything new in a while. The two single speed Homegrowns are still doing great though. Currently I'm in the middle of upgrading my Sweetspot's shock to needle bearings, which is taking a bit of custom work to get done. It's amazing how a coupe simple tweeks can really make a Sweetspot downright plush.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
B-Mech, tell me more of these tweaks. Believe it or not, I'm pondering building up a SS Sweetspot. The Sweetspot frame has a great deal of recession in jounce on the rear wheel, so that's a good thing for plushness. Since it's a URT, all that recession has zero effect on chain length. Which you already knew. :) I've just become aware of the Real World Cycling needle bearing kits, so maybe those can be adapted to the SS?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
B-Mech, tell me more. Believe it or not, I'm pondering building up a SS Sweetspot.
It's about time!

With a 2nd generation Sweetspot with the hollow pivot, the two main issues to address are misalignment between the front and rear triangle which binds the shock (less of an issue with coil shocks), and pivot bushings which are too wide, and therefore cause excessive friction. I posted a while ago about how to fix those issues:
http://forums.mtbr.com/mongoose-schwinn/sweetspot-making-work-correctly-661665.html

I'm installing needle bearing because the mounting bushings are starting to wear out, and I might as well provide a long-term fix.

By the way, don't forget to rebuild your Alps 4r before using it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just found this....last of the HomeGrowns. A rarely used 2001 19" HG Comp with XTR rear and XT front derailleur and LX HollowTech cranks and Judy Race fork. Everything is stock except for the seat and pedals. It weighs 26lbs....probably was less with the original seat and pedals. It wasn't clear coated so has a few storage nicks.

241 - 260 of 287 Posts