Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a Homegrown frame. It has a tomato etched above the dropout. I have'nt heard anyone mention this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yep, Homegrowns have that, or at least my Sweetspot does. I remember thinking that was pretty cool when I took the frame out of the Supergo box in '99. :) Due to the design of the bike, my 4 Banger doesn't have those. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
it is all about the ATD...my 01 hg has them and my 00 moab had a schwinn emblem instead...character character character....!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
yes...perfect example...once again it is the attention to detail that yields quality...!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CTB said:
Yep, Homegrowns have that, or at least my Sweetspot does. I remember thinking that was pretty cool when I took the frame out of the Supergo box in '99. :) Due to the design of the bike, my 4 Banger doesn't have those. :(
What disc brake adapter is that?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
A2Z DM-UNI.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_04adapter_05.html

Got mine from a US seller - possibly Jersey Cycles or something similar, I don't recall, but I avoided the Hong Kong sellers. It worked after some light modification (I decided to grind down the "bumper" that touches the seatstay to clear the weld between the dropout and stay), but it has a serious drawback that I didn't think was serious until it got me twice in one ride in AZ. It is incapable of supporting a rearward load. "Big deal, you're pedaling forward." Well, yeah, up until you get faced on a climb and instinctively grab the brakes to stop from falling backwards. ZING! Now your adapter is rotated away from the seat stay and you've scraped up your dropout, and now you're digging your 5mm out of your backpack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is that frame in the original post the one from Ebay, the seller thought was a 2000? Wanted to bid on that. Cool in raw aluminum (if the same frame)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Spent that money on a RIsse Genesis. I 'll start building the bike parts fund back up and be looking for a frame or hardtail HG by this summer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A2Z DM-UNI.

www.a2zcomponents.com

Got mine from a US seller - possibly Jersey Cycles or something similar, I don't recall, but I avoided the Hong Kong sellers. It worked after some light modification (I decided to grind down the "bumper" that touches the seatstay to clear the weld between the dropout and stay), but it has a serious drawback that I didn't think was serious until it got me twice in one ride in AZ. It is incapable of supporting a rearward load. "Big deal, you're pedaling forward." Well, yeah, up until you get faced on a climb and instinctively grab the brakes to stop from falling backwards. ZING! Now your adapter is rotated away from the seat stay and you've scraped up your dropout, and now you're digging your 5mm out of your backpack.
Thanks for sharing that fitment and issues. Have you found ways to secure the top part of the adapter so it wouldn't swing away with backwards pressure? The fit looks good and flat. I'd like to get one for my '99 HG.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I gave up on it a long time ago, though I had ideas of making a brace that attached to the 22mm Hayes mount on the chainstay, IIRC. I got 22mm Hayes brakes instead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I still haven't found info on the A2Z AD-PMR (red that attaches directly to the 22mm mounting holes) if it will fit specifically my 17" 1999 HG frame. I've seen pics fitting on larger frames, but need some confirmation before ordering. Perhaps if there are specs of this adapter I can measure. I have no problem running a 180mm rotor. Anyone using this on their 17" frame?

Thanks, looking forward to completing my SS build.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I know this post is 7 years old now... but, I have two Homegrown frames, well one is mine and the other I picked up for my son. A '97 hardtail and a '00 hardtail. Neither of those frames are factory team frames so they were built in Portland. The '97 does not have the Tomato stamp while the '00 does. Just a FYI that not all of the Homegrown frames have the stamp.

If you're not already doing so and have a FB account, go here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291334091808/

Lots of helpful folks, all with Homegrown-itis. These adapters come up as topics from time to time.
Thanks for that. I don't do FB much myself but will make an exception in this case. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts