Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I like mud
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which combo to buy from Homebrewed so I did an Excel chart.

Rows are chainring sizes and columns are cogs, according to what you can buy from Homebrewed.

Note that these are ONLY aluminum versions of each, not the titanium two-piece cogs or the stainless steel chainrings.

The colors are for my reference - I want to go to something more aggressive than 2:1 but less than 2:22.

Red is too much/hard for me, and orange is where I am now.

I did a blog post on this if you're interested in my reasoning/basis for the 22 tenths.

Cog Blog: Homebrewed Components - Choosing a Chainring and Cog Combo

·
Registered
47 Posts
nice blog. I hope the new setup is to your liking. I am still testing different combos before buying a nice chainring and cog from HBC myself. Although I am still on the other side of your orange line.

(This is also further proof that the appeal of singlespeed is not "simplicity" as is often stated. The appeal is even more reason to obsess about cycling when you are off the bike. When is the last time a geared rider made a spreadsheet? :D )

·
I like mud
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey bernside and Johnson207, thanks for the comments.

I'll keep that post updated on how these ratios work out for me.

bernside, you may have noticed I started with a 32:18 which was a 1.78, so I was just on the other side of the orange a few months ago too. What's your ratio?

I had serious reservations as to whether or not I could handle 2:1 but it ended up being easy after just a few rides.

Thing is only you know yourself and your terrain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey bernside and Johnson207, thanks for the comments.

I'll keep that post updated on how these ratios work out for me.

bernside, you may have noticed I started with a 32:18 which was a 1.78, so I was just on the other side of the orange a few months ago too. What's your ratio?

I had serious reservations as to whether or not I could handle 2:1 but it ended up being easy after just a few rides.

Thing is only you know yourself and your terrain.
32:17 on 26" wheels, but I'm a roadie and I like to spin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.