Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 2329 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
19 weeks and still no stainless steel 18t and 20t cogs. There is no way these will be worth the wait compared to a Chris King or even a Surly. Business practices like this make American products look bad.

Still waiting for my magic gear to turn from invisible to visible. sigh.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
19 weeks and still no stainless steel 18t and 20t cogs. There is no way these will be worth the wait compared to a Chris King or even a Surly. Business practices like this make American products look bad.

Still waiting for my magic gear to turn from invisible to visible. sigh.
I walked into my lbs over the weekend, plunked down a $20 bill and walked out with a 20T Surly Cog for my wife. If you want, I'll sell it to you for $40 and ship it out sometime in the next month(19 weeks, actually)... just paypal me. Thx.

:)

For real... you need to dispute the transaction...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
For real... you need to dispute the transaction...
Paypal can't do anything other than monitor this situation as common occurance and then decide if they will freeze his account if it is. My Paypal isn't directly linked to a credit card, so, i can't go that route.

For now, i will wait. I have plenty of chainrings and cogs. I really only ordered from him to get a matching set and spiderless. Now, spiderless has been canceled and i will probably sell the cogs if they ever arrive. Till then, everyone should know, Dan will take your money and may not even deliver what was ordered. Thats a crook by definition.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
I guess if you cry, whine and b*tch enough you can get posts taken down? :confused:
as I stated earlier - this thread is about HBC the business, not the owner's personal life.

They are separate.

Other posts were deleted because they were OT.

BTW - no *****ing, moaning or crying got the posts taken down. Posting personal info (public or not) in the context of bashing, criticism, etc. is a type of stalking.

We don't do that here :nono:

Please keep the topic to business practices and product reviews :cool:

thanks,
- CHUM

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Sitting at 12.5 weeks now. Got my email stating that my cog was in the next batch and should be done in the next week about a month ago. So I suspect I should be due for the email telling me that the product is completed and in the mail which will then land me with another 4+ weeks of waiting. At this point, I think I might see it in August!

Trying not to get caught up in the hype of all this mess but I will admit that this is pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ordered 29th of December
Shipping notice 31st of March
Still waiting June 21st

I am so pi**sed!

I sent him numerous email, didn't get any reply.
Last request I sent him, I got a automatic reply thanking me for my purchase.

This is just a joke

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Paypal can't do anything other than monitor this situation as common occurance and then decide if they will freeze his account if it is. My Paypal isn't directly linked to a credit card, so, i can't go that route.
Ahh... that sucks. I initiated the dispute process with my order, and since it let me get started, I thought that they might actually do something. I never pushed it all the way through as my order was delivered literally as I was going through the dispute channels of Paypal. That's really crappy that Paypal is unwilling to do anything other than "watch" HBC.

I'm going to login to paypal and see if I can file a complaint with them. At least if I can file a complaint, maybe it'll help the greater good.

Edit: I just filed a complaint with paypal. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not sure what the BBB can do. I'm not finding a listing for HBC in their database.

I'm honestly baffled at this point how a person can care this little about his customers. Its like he's daring someone to do something because he thinks he's untouchable. I guess as long as ppl order without knowledge of his practices or the cult following keeps him in business, he will continue to not care.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Not sure they can do much bu they will contact him. No idea if that would help anything or not but might be worth checking into. I'm only a couple weeks in with more order so I have a long time before I can really start complaining but I do like the idea of helping move things along.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Not sure what the BBB can do. I'm not finding a listing for HBC in their database.

I'm honestly baffled at this point how a person can care this little about his customers. Its like he's daring someone to do something because he thinks he's untouchable. I guess as long as ppl order without knowledge of his practices or the cult following keeps him in business, he will continue to not care.
I can totally understand some members wanting HBC to stay in business. They need his chain rings like a drug. That is NOT loyalty in my opinion. It is selfish behavior.

The HBC "cult" will jump ship the very second a solid alternative presents itself. I promise you this.

Protecting his terrible business behavior to ensure that you all can continue to get HBC rings without regard to the treatment of fellow MTBR members is lame.

Why not stand up for fellow members that are getting taken for a ride?

Bling before bros I guess..

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
...cult following keeps him in business..
some people have a different perspective making the wait worth it.

some people do not (and I do not fault this).

simple huh?

I can totally understand some members wanting HBC to stay in business. They need his chain rings like a drug. That is NOT loyalty in my opinion. It is selfish behavior.

Protecting his terrible business behavior to ensure that you all can continue to get HBC rings without regard to the treatment of fellow MTBR members is lame.

Why not stand up for fellow members that are getting taken for a ride?
what exactly is selfish? I ask because have no idea what ordering a product has to do with self serving behavior.

And for your statement in red above....umm wut?

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
some people have a different perspective making the wait worth it.

some people do not (and I do not fault this).

simple huh?

what exactly is selfish? I ask because have no idea what ordering a product has to do with self serving behavior.

And for your statement in red above....umm wut?
CHUM,

"Ordering" is not what I was addressing.

Maybe I was not clear. Apologies. Defending HBC, when clearly his business practices are questionable and affect many MTBR members in a negative way is self serving behavior.

The "I must defend HBC to ensure that I can get mine (chain ring) when needed.." mentality is what I am addressing.

At what point do the folks defending HBC think to themselves..."Yeh, HBC makes a great product. I love my chain ring. But...the way he treats fellow members on MTBR is really wrong..."

I am sure I will get neg repped for this. Whatever..

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I don't know...I read constantly that his product is top notch and it looks good and the price is unbeaten to this point. What's not to love about that?

His business model on the other hand does suck. I still like to think it's simply that Dan got in WAY over his head and he's working hard to get his head above water. Perhaps he isn't going about that in the best way, but hopefully he's at least trying. I read most of this thread and I see that people are getting parts they ordered even if way, way later than anticipated. That's the only reason I decided to order from him regardless...but I went in knowing full well that the wait is likely to be very long. Since I know that, and I don't need his part next week or even next month, I'm ok with this. I just really wish Dan would take some time and really address the issue of what's going on. I am pretty sure that if he would take a little time to post up even once a week he could keep people in the loop and it would prevent a lot of the disdain that has formed over these issues. I do agree with rydbyk that the way customers do seem to be treated is pretty sht poor and in today's business environment, that's a sure way to loose your business. It's just a matter of time (hopefully) before someone comes out with a product that rivals HBC in all the qualities that make the HBC stuff desirable...but with a better business end to match.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Personally, I welcome and hope others will step up to the plate to offer something else. Worst that would happen is that the load on Dan is lightened and he'll be able to churn out rings in a more timely fashion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
For what it's worth...I ordered because I couldn't find shimano spiderless elsewhere...I also read this thread and knew the lead times and had $100 I could afford to burn.

Regardless I ordered on 4/8/12. I got this email from him today after I emailed the other day (he's responded to all my emails, but I've only emailed twice)

"Sorry for the delay with the parts.
I am starting shipment on this last batch tomorrow, which includes yours. You should get a notification email over the next few days.
Thanks,
Dan"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made an order back in October, never received the items ordered. I have written several emails, without getting any intelligent answers. In the last few emails I have asked for my money to be returned as it seems obvious that HBC will never actually deliver my order, and by now its too late anyway - I had to use alternative components.

As far as I´m concerned HBC is a fraudulant website. The blog where several people (including me) on the HBC website had made critical comments was removed a while back.

Stay away from HBC, this guy does not deserve to be in business!

1121 - 1140 of 2329 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.