Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2329 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone 'spoken' with (either actually or electronicaly) with Dan at Homebrewed lately? Iordered a new Chainring a month ago and have not heard anything since the e-mail confirming payment. i did shoot him a note last week, which has not been answered, not trying to start anything, just really want that ring so i can finish this project and am trying to confirm that its just his biz is so good that orders are taking longer to fill.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
Been busy playing catchup, didn't realize i missed some emails. Like i always say, if i miss one, please try again as i get quite a few a day, and i really only have time to answer them in between parts so it's easy to accidentally scan by one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
MTBDad said:
Has anyone 'spoken' with (either actually or electronicaly) with Dan at Homebrewed lately? Iordered a new Chainring a month ago and have not heard anything since the e-mail confirming payment. i did shoot him a note last week, which has not been answered, not trying to start anything, just really want that ring so i can finish this project and am trying to confirm that its just his biz is so good that orders are taking longer to fill.
A month? I'd better get my order in now.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I am not attacking the OP but going to the internet to get a response from a one man show is not the best way to handle things in my opinion. He makes the best cogs and rings out there for the money, he also has to ship his items, answer emails, track down material from vendors and everything else that goes into running your own business.

I purchased a number of items from him recently and it took longer than what i was hoping for and i did not get emails returned as fast as an online dealer but I understand he is building product and is always slammed.

He might not provide the best customer service but his products are that good and bottom line, that is what is most important to me.

His attention to detail is ridiculous (GOOD) and he obviously takes pride in what he is shipping out. He did not like how the color came out on an anodized chainring and decided to redo it for me. That is what i call quality standards!!!

I will never buy an off the shelf cog or chainring again. HBC has me as a customer for life.
I could never expect the level of customer service as salsa or blackspire from him but know i realize i would never expect a chainring as nice as his from salsa or blackspire.
I am not bad mouthing salsa or blackspire by the way, they make decent rings.

·
Registered
333 Posts
cbrock450 said:
I am not attacking the OP but going to the internet to get a response from a one man show is not the best way to handle things in my opinion. He makes the best cogs and rings out there for the money, he also has to ship his items, answer emails, track down material from vendors and everything else that goes into running your own business.

I purchased a number of items from him recently and it took longer than what i was hoping for and i did not get emails returned as fast as an online dealer but I understand he is building product and is always slammed.

He might not provide the best customer service but his products are that good and bottom line, that is what is most important to me.

His attention to detail is ridiculous (GOOD) and he obviously takes pride in what he is shipping out. He did not like how the color came out on an anodized chainring and decided to redo it for me. That is what i call quality standards!!!

I will never buy an off the shelf cog or chainring again. HBC has me as a customer for life.
I could never expect the level of customer service as salsa or blackspire from him but know i realize i would never expect a chainring as nice as his from salsa or blackspire.
I am not bad mouthing salsa or blackspire by the way, they make decent rings.
I don't see a problem with his approach. I'm sure the OP just wanted to know if he should be concerned. Granted, the OP could have followed up his first email with a friendly follow up email but he decided to do it on a web site where Dan posts almost daily. His thread was strictly business and wasn't bashing him. HBC does great work....I have three of his products and love them. i will be ordering again. Just my .02 cents....

·
2,419 Posts
2Slo4U said:
I don't see a problem with his approach. I'm sure the OP just wanted to know if he should be concerned. Granted, the OP could have followed up his first email with a friendly follow up email but he decided to do it on a web site where Dan posts almost daily. His thread was strictly business and wasn't bashing him. HBC does great work....I have three of his products and love them. i will be ordering again. Just my .02 cents....
The only issue is threads and posts like this, no matter how innocent in intent, cause a mass emailing from anyone who has bought something, fearing i ran off with their money. And of course, every single one expects a response right away, which causes me to get even farther behind, and piss even more people off.
Of course if you think i'm slow, my parts suck, or i'm just a plain old a-hole, you have every right to talk about it.. hell i'm usually the first to say when i'm behind if you just check out my thread, but threads that imply that i disapeared definitely do more harm than good for everyone. It's not just losing me business, which i can deal with. I wouldn't be paying a hefty amount for advertising here on MTBR if i wasn't planning on staying in business, so i assure everyone i'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

With that said, i know Jon didn't mean any harm. He probably didn't keep up on my other thread, so he wasn't aware that i occasionally need a reminder email to answer emails. Also, most people don't have an idea of how many emails i get or how much product that leaves my shop. Think about it, I sell $35 chainrings and i live in San Diego where the cost of living is pretty high. Subtract overhead, and i have to move quite a bit more than a few rings a week.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dan,

I am going to have to let the truth out.

Dan has been going through labor negotiations with the umpa lumpas, they are unhappy with the green outfits and lack of chocolate available in the milling room. See the price of cocoa has sky rocketed, and Dan is having trouble keeping up with their ferocious demand. This has caused a labor shortage that has put all production behind.

Truth of the matter is that he makes a quality product that is in high demand. He states CLEARLY on his site, and you check a box stating you read the disclaimer that spells out production is slow. There are many fine products in life that you have to wait for. I like to think of the chainrings like that soup on Seinfeld, long lines, and you have to play by the chef's rules to get the soup.

Good news, he has lots of orders so he will be in business to keep making more rings for our builds. Bad news, he has lots of orders so we have to wait longer for our rings.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,839 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
The only issue is threads and posts like this...
Of course if you think i'm slow, my parts suck, or i'm just a plain old a-hole...
Well I for one think you're just a plain old a-hole. Just like the rest of us are plain old a-holes, which makes you pretty damn undependable, too.

So Dan, if I want to reach out to you, which method do you find most inconvenient... email, mtbr PM or a new thread here on the SS forum? I'll happily utilize the one you like the least.

You see I want my damn custom ti chainring, and I want it yesterday, just like all the other plain old a-holes on here. I thought about it for months, took my sweet time coming to this huge decision, so I want it NOW dammit!! I'm done waiting! Ya hear me?!?

Thanks,
sParty

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yikes!!!!

Typhoid Mary, patient zero in this latest viral epidemic here. Certainly didn't mean to do anything other than see if anything was up with Dan!! I spend a lot of time on theseboards and as they tend to be effective commnuities I often see things like "...anyone seen James lately or is everything OK with..." about two minutes after I possted my note, i responded to another post asking for photos of Dan's work. As a repeat customer, i had noted that this particular order had taken longer than others and an e-mail wasn't returned. Neither cause for national media attention, but didn't think it was out of bounds to ask the community if anything might be up with Dan. Dan, here's the public apology for causing the flood to your inbox. NOT WORRIED, NOR WAS I EVER WORRIED YOU WENT OVER THE HILL WITH $100!!

·
2,419 Posts
Yea sorry about that BT, i anticipate being back on track within a week for all orders. I hired someone about 2 weeks ago and we're making some good progress now. It's just a matter of getting my head screwed on straight again after the SDCBS last weekend.

·
Registered
327 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
Yea sorry about that BT, i anticipate being back on track within a week for all orders. I hired someone about 2 weeks ago and we're making some good progress now. It's just a matter of getting my head screwed on straight again after the SDCBS last weekend.
(cracks the whip) faster! :D

Hope you can, needing that cog to help granny my out of shape ass around the race course this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad I ran across this thread. I ordered something from HBC about a month ago, and haven't heard anything on the status of the order, so I got a little worried. But, based on the dialog here, I'm feeling better about it, and will just sit tight for another month. I know that sometimes, good things take a while to acquire, and if HBC is swamped, so be it. I don't expect them to Dan and fire to deal with the swinging demands of market demands.

-Don

1 - 20 of 2329 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.