Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Angry Singlespeeder
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday, the morning of Sagebrush Safari - a big race down here in San Diego - I was in dire need of a 21 tooth cog for my Santa Cruz SS cyclocross bike. Dan Wilcox of Homebrewed Components came through in a pinch and had this stainless beauty ready for me. It performed flawlessly in one of the muddiest, grittiest MTB races I've ever competed in. Dan saved my race.

Here's a pic of the cog in the aftermath.

Thanks again, Dan!

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,462 Posts
Yeah!

--sParty

P.S. Some HBC ti is due to show up at my place pretty soon... I'm gettin' excited!

·
Dive Bomber
770 Posts
Cool, that's a magic gearing.

What I want to know is how is the chain condition/tension before the race?

Because it looks kinda loose on the pic.

·
The Angry Singlespeeder
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chainstay protector is to keep my foot from rubbing the paint off the chainstay.

Chain tension was just a little tighter before the race, but I prefer a little slack in the chain. When you run proper SS chainrings, cogs and chain, you can have slack without worrying about derailment. Having raced a lot of track, many of us always ran slack in the chain for less resistance.

I had a 42/18 on this bike, and as someone pointed out, it was a magic gear. I needed an easier gear for this race, so I was hunting for another magic gear. Turns out a 39/21 worked, but my 21 was a ramped cog off a cassette (just using it for testing purposes). Once I found the cog that worked, Dan came through for me immediately! Of course it helps to live only 5 miles from his shop.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,462 Posts
Genshammer said:
... Of course it helps to live only 5 miles from his shop.
I would happily bring him a 6 pack and watch him mill my chainring but I live 1,000 miles from his shop. :mad:

--sParty

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
Sparticus said:
I would happily bring him a 6 pack and watch him mill my chainring but I live 1,000 miles from his shop. :mad:

--sParty
Road trip!

But seriously, I was thinking of doing corner work for the MotoGP at Laguna Seca again this year. How close is that to Dan's shop?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,462 Posts
umarth said:
Road trip!

But seriously, I was thinking of doing corner work for the MotoGP at Laguna Seca again this year. How close is that to Dan's shop?
Regardless of proximity, I'm not willing to wait 'til July for my chainring.

Sea Otter... maybe. But even that's a month and a half away. I hope to have my new sled built before then.

Snail mail it is.

--sParty

·
3,707 Posts
umarth said:
Road trip!

Detour: I'm extremely jealous that you're going to be at MotoGP. I've gave up riding 3 years ago, but still watch the races and head out to the AMA's at my local track.

And I'm a Honda nut swinger, so go Pedrosa. (and good luck Stoner)

*Take the next right to merge back onto the original topic*

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Genshammer said:
.... Turns out a 39/21 worked...
And it should, for every tooth you took off from the front, you added to the back. Total # of chain links doesn't change and the necessary chainstay length doesn't change...

..but I bet you already knew that ;)

op

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
p nut said:
Detour: I'm extremely jealous that you're going to be at MotoGP. I've gave up riding 3 years ago, but still watch the races and head out to the AMA's at my local track.

And I'm a Honda nut swinger, so go Pedrosa. (and good luck Stoner)

*Take the next right to merge back onto the original topic*
Umm... you want to do corner work at the MotoGP? I haven't seen an email yet (I think), but they are the best seats in the house.... as long as you like the same corner.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
ohpossum said:
And it should, for every tooth you took off from the front, you added to the back. Total # of chain links doesn't change and the necessary chainstay length doesn't change...

..but I bet you already knew that ;)

op
Wise Guy, Eh???:p

·
The Angry Singlespeeder
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Esco

Monterey is still 500 miles away from Dan. He's in North County San Diego - Escondido specifically. Also home of Stone Brewery. So now you have two excuses to come down here. Actually, three - the riding here kicks ass, especially in winter/spring!

·
3,707 Posts
umarth said:
Umm... you want to do corner work at the MotoGP? I haven't seen an email yet (I think), but they are the best seats in the house.... as long as you like the same corner.
I'd even pick up trash if it meant getting out there. But alas, work, kid, wife, etc. keep me from taking a few days off to go. I hardly find time to ride (my bicycle) as it is. :rolleyes: I guess it'll keep me from wanting another bike anyway... I've got enough temptation with a co-worker always rolling in on his orange Z1000.

·
more skier than biker
2,399 Posts
Genshammer said:
Monterey is still 500 miles away from Dan. He's in North County San Diego - Escondido specifically. Also home of Stone Brewery. So now you have two excuses to come down here. Actually, three - the riding here kicks ass, especially in winter/spring!
Completely off-topic, but I live in NorCal but the company I work for is in the Sorrento Valley area. I need to travel down and visit them once a month for 2 - 3 days a pop. I've been thinking about getting a cheapo, used SS and storing it at my company down there so I can get out for afterwork rides when I'm visiting.

I have no clue where there is closeby riding though...any insight? Any mid-week MTB group rides in the area?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive ordered a 17 tooth cog from Homebrew, how long does it take to make one of these babies, im going on 6 weeks since order date. Just wondering???

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are handmade by order so they take a bit longer than ordering a mass produced product. Well worth the wait. It'll last longer than you will:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts