Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies. This was posted in SS forum too. I am not sure where to get best feedback. So....

I have heard that HBC makes some pretty chainrings.

I have always used rings from Blackspire with lots of success. Blackspire does not offer the nifty colors though...

I am thinking of ordering from HBC. I always see the banner ads up top, so I know they are affiliated with MTBR.

How do the companies compare and what are some other alternatives out there?

Experiences??

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
I'm running a HBC 31t ring and a 20t steel cog. Both work great and to date show little wear. The chainring is lightweight and so far proves durable. Other than waiting for Dan to make yours and ship it (~3-4 weeks lately I believe), it's on par with other good rings out there, IMHO. I bought mine specifically because I couldn't find any other sub-32t 104bcd rings out there, and I was building a 29" wheeled 1x9; figured I could save weight at the cassette (sticking with a 11x34 instead of 11x36) by doing so. It worked great, but I'm now riding the same cog SS with his 20t steel cog. I like the gearing -- something I can get on and ride even if I'm off the bike for a few weeks at a time.

Long story short, I don't think you can find a nicer product, or a better US small businessman to do business with. If you don't need it tomorrow, I'd say go with HBC. Price wise, he's as competitive as anyone really.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a chainring off this mob. I haven't actually ridden with it yet but it looks to be quality and their customer service was great. They actually refunded me back some postage, because I paid too much.

velosolo.co.uk

Not affiliated with these guys at all, just a punter.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wow, you joined back in August and this is the first post you've found so interesting that you made your first post in, seriously :rolleyes: oh and you're not affiliated with the company either huh :skep:
I bought a chainring off this mob. I haven't actually ridden with it yet but it looks to be quality and their customer service was great. They actually refunded me back some postage, because I paid too much.

Not affiliated with these guys at all, just a punter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Wow, you joined back in August and this is the first post you've found so interesting that you made your first post in, seriously oh and you're not affiliated with the company either huh"

LyNx,

Really nice of you to make someone on their first post feel welcome :thumbsup: Ironically this is precisely why I waited so long so I wouldn't be given stick for a useless post.

Yeah, your right I waited 2 months, reading, learning and finally I found something I could positively contribute too.

FWIW I live in Auzzie mate, these items are from the U.K. It's a long bow your drawing that I waited patiently for a thread where I could plug my products selling from the U.K while I live in Oz.

Get a life. Cheers.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
"Wow, you joined back in August and this is the first post you've found so interesting that you made your first post in, seriously oh and you're not affiliated with the company either huh"

LyNx,

Really nice of you to make someone on their first post feel welcome :thumbsup: Ironically this is precisely why I waited so long so I wouldn't be given stick for a useless post.

Yeah, your right I waited 2 months, reading, learning and finally I found something I could positively contribute too.

FWIW I live in Auzzie mate, these items are from the U.K. It's a long bow your drawing that I waited patiently for a thread where I could plug my products selling from the U.K while I live in Oz.

Get a life. Cheers.
No Drama Mate. It seems that around here there is fanboi level of affection for Homebrew and any ideas to the contrary can catch a heat round. I imagine they both make great stuff and you couldn't go wrong with either.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
If your not in a hurry to get it have to give the nod to Home Brewed, if quick turn around is a priority its best to source it through other channels.

·
innate behaviour
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait time?

Thank you for the input so far.

What is the wait time typically for these? I noticed that many of you have implied that I need to be patient. Also someone mentioned communication is a problem sometimes?

Also, if I am not going spiderless, any reason HBC is a better choice than other companies that offer better turn around?

Other than the colors, what makes an HBC fan and HBC fan? Lighter? Stronger? Rounder?

Pretty colors are not necessary, just a thought for next build:p

·
Registered
333 Posts
There are several ongoing threads on the SS forum about WAIT TIMES for HBC. Dan is a one man show and sometimes he gets behind. If you need something in the next 7 days, he's not your guy. If you can wait 4-8 weeks then he will put a smile on your face when the product arrives. I have several of his chainrings/cogs and they are impressive products.
Some might call me a fanboi, however, I am pleased with his products and have placed orders when the time-frame was not urgent. If I had been in a hurry to get a product, I would've looked elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
IMO. The reason HBC is better than your average part is quality. Dan holds extremely high tolerances that the mass market shops could not afford. Add to that his products are well thought out and engineered and you have a very good product. It's also a chance to have a unique part in the color you choose. If you value the quality and uniqueness more than the wait time it's really a great deal.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
I run a blackspire ring on 1 of my bikes - it works fine
I run middleburn ring on 1 of my bikes - it works fine
I run an eno ring on 1 of my bikes - it works fine
I run stock shimano rings on my other bikes - they work fine

But I run a HBC cog and ring on my chi-chi SS - they also work fine, but are nicer....way nicer.

as others have stated the quality is top notch, tough and jewelry for your rig - but it won't arrive overnight.

·
1,473 Posts
Thank you for the input so far.

What is the wait time typically for these? I noticed that many of you have implied that I need to be patient. Also someone mentioned communication is a problem sometimes?

Also, if I am not going spiderless, any reason HBC is a better choice than other companies that offer better turn around?

Other than the colors, what makes an HBC fan and HBC fan? Lighter? Stronger? Rounder?

Pretty colors are not necessary, just a thought for next build:p
I've been running Blackspire for years - very happy with them. However, I ordered a HBC ring just to see if they were all that - plus I thought it would be nice to add some color to the bike.

Customer Service - My wait time was over a month. I've heard better and worse. So, getting one of these requires some planning ahead. E-mails were not replied to, but I did get a shipping e-mail.

Product - The ring itsself is quite a nice looking piece of metal. The red is quite red and it just looks like a high quality ring. Also, it is noticeably lighter than the Blackspire ring. I've heard good things about the durability, but have yet to test that myself. If it lasts as long or longer than the Blackspire, then I'll probably end up being one of those fanbois.

My impression at this point is that with a little bit of customer service this guy could really do some business.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Options....

My buddy ordered a cog and chainring from Hombrewed. They took a couple months to get, and they started to show wear pretty quickly (with a brand new chain). The chainring doesn't seem to be lasting him any longer than the Salsa chainring he usually runs.

Since this thread is about options. Here are some.

rennen design group :: 104BCD chainring

That one looks pretty sweet because you can get it with threaded bolt holes, seems like a brilliant idea.

Then you have the renthal and e.thirteen found here.

Renthal Chain Rings. - Pinkbike.com

And as for cogs. I like Surly cogs. They are heavy :eek: and last for a long time :p

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.