Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally got our first real snow so it was time to experiment with my new Scout 29...

Gazzi 3.0 (26") up front, 2.6 in the back...little do the DHers realize, they've been running 29 all along :thumbsup:

rear clearance with chainstay set to 17":

front is mounted on 39mm wide trials rim. 9 psi.

These tires aren't quite the height of a 29" x 2.1, but they're definitely taller than a road wheel. They float and find traction anywhere. Can't wait to go try some drops, too.

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know where you can get the 3.0 anymore other than second hand. The 2.6 is still available. It usually runs in the $50's...

MichiganClydesdale, I saw that, too.:D great minds...

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm discovering this frame is going to be very versatile. I can run any of the 3 current wheel sizes in the back (26, 27.5, 29) and still have reasonable geometry.
Impressive that the 1x1 can clear the 3.0 in the back, especially on those rims, even a lot of DH frames won't!

I'm in RI...I assume you're in...Michigan?

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sean salach said:
are those 4-bolt magura mounts on the origin 8, or 26/29 mounts?
29" rim brake mounts...which you could then put maguras on. I'm going to try it soon to see what 29er trials feels like...I don't have too high of expectations but it'll be fun to try.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
it's a little awkward at first, but overall the same as the difference between a 26 and a 29 riding xc. the biggest problem is that a given set of brakes don't hold the wheel quite as well as on a 26. slight difference that is magnified while riding trials.

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Wow!

MichiganClydesdale said:
that's too funny, I just finished this build, but I posted it on the snow / sand bike thread.....I like yours!!!!! nice looking scheme
Dave,

You are holding out on me! Two snow bikes? I will have to stop by and take one for a spin!

I could almost dump the skate skis and ride a snow bike for the winter!

-Chad

·
P.A.G.A.N.
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sean salach said:
it's a little awkward at first, but overall the same as the difference between a 26 and a 29 riding xc. the biggest problem is that a given set of brakes don't hold the wheel quite as well as on a 26. slight difference that is magnified while riding trials.
Seems like a rim brake should work just the same. I need to find a cheap wide 29er rim I can grind, maybe a WTB Dual Duty FR.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
26x3.0?

ss29er said:
Has anyone tried one of those Duro Racing Wildlife Leopard 26 x 3.0 tires? I am making a similar snowbike to the ones pictured using my 29er frame, and need one more tire. I scored one Gazzaloddi 3.0 from E-bay, but can't seem to find another anywhere. I thought maybe this would be a good alternative. Here is a link to the tire:

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=561

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts