Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Will Guide for Beer
Joined
·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter there was a homebrew thread where 'tire bits' were mentioned as an additive. It was new back then. Seemed like a good idea so I scooped some up at the local BigO. Yes, nearly 8 months later, it is time to mix my first laytex homebrew. Anyone been using tire bits for say 6-8-10 months?

So far the homebrew will be:
1 part laytex
3 parts water
Auto Tire Bits

Any suggestions? Also considering amonia which has always brought on mixed reviews.

(Disclaimer: This thread has been posted after SEVERAL GRUELING AND LENGTHLY MTBR.COM FORUM SEARCH AND USE OF ADVANCED SEARCH FUNCTION. Insert: Looking for additional and updated information) :mad:

thx.
 

·
conjoinicorned
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
i use a small amount of ammonia, it's very important in keeping the latex liquid for longer. i've tried without and got boogers too quickly.

i haven't used "auto tire bits" yet, but this winter i'm gonna grind up some old tires in the coffee grinder. i've been using slime/latex/glycol/water and small bits of string to great success for 2 years. oh, and some glitter cause it looks awesome on the garage floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
I use:
1 part latex mold builder from Michaels
2 parts atv slime (with black bits already in it)
2 parts water

It's a variation of Wades Secret Sauce from the 29er forum (Best home brew)
6 months and works great!
 

·
parenting for gnarness
Joined
·
6,251 Posts
i've used bike tire bits, filed by hand, about a tsp per tire. seems fine, i've had no issues. my sauce is often watery since it weeps out so fast in my garage and my non-ust tires that some pluggage seems to be a good thing.

so for getting the tire parts, you just went on in and asked? like...what did you ask for?
 

·
Swamp Thaang Groupie
Joined
·
629 Posts
ajmelin said:
I use:
1 part latex mold builder from Michaels
2 parts atv slime (with black bits already in it)
2 parts water

It's a variation of Wades Secret Sauce from the 29er forum (Best home brew)
6 months and works great!
By far the best sealant I have used! Been using for 8 months only one flat from a ripped sidewall. lasted about 3 months in the summer

16OZ Mold builder
24OZ ATV slime
32OZ water give or take.

I call mine "Swamp Sauce" named after the Legendary MTBR "Swamp Thaaaang"....

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Soil
The Legend!

Green Automotive tire Logo Synthetic rubber Circle
The Sauce!
 

·
Will Guide for Beer
Joined
·
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just go into a tire store and ask if you can gather up some of the 'little rubber bits' from the used tire pile. They may look at you funny at first, but once you get the 'GO Ahead', it's free.

As mentioned, it is like 'tire dust' and the tire guys deal with it all the time. Caused by people driving around with too low air pressure in their tires.

I'm tempting to get away from the Slime that is showing up in everyones mix ... ???

Must keep air out of stored mix, or the latex will dry up ... Is this True??
 

·
conjoinicorned
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
zul said:
I'm tempting to get away from the Slime that is showing up in everyones mix ... ???

Must keep air out of stored mix, or the latex will dry up ... Is this True??
the latex dries anywhere it touches air, sealing up small holes in the containers LOL.

you need something more than water to keep the latex liquid. slime contains trace ammonia but it shouldn't be necessary. with roughly 2 water 1 glycol 1 slime 1 latex and various solid additives i've had 2 years trouble free, and i can make 2L in a batch for <$30. my most recent batch is nearly 10 months old and still fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
abcnorte said:
By far the best sealant I have used! Been using for 8 months only one flat from a ripped sidewall. lasted about 3 months in the summer

16OZ Mold builder
24OZ ATV slime
32OZ water give or take.

I call mine "Swamp Sauce" named after the Legendary MTBR "Swamp Thaaaang"....
I take back my ratio. I've been using abcnorte's mix.
1 bottle latex mold builder
1 bottle atv slime
32oz water
I only made it the once, and still have TONS left.
I'll have to write the recipe on the bottle i store it in as so not to confuse myself again!
 

·
Swamp Thaang Groupie
Joined
·
629 Posts
zul said:
Just go into a tire store and ask if you can gather up some of the 'little rubber bits' from the used tire pile. They may look at you funny at first, but once you get the 'GO Ahead', it's free.

As mentioned, it is like 'tire dust' and the tire guys deal with it all the time. Caused by people driving around with too low air pressure in their tires.

I'm tempting to get away from the Slime that is showing up in everyones mix ... ???

Must keep air out of stored mix, or the latex will dry up ... Is this True??
No just keep in sealed containers. I use a plastic protein shake can with a screw on lid to shake, mix, and pour. Storing in recycled shampoo bottles at room temp. Just make sure to mark the bottles so somebody does not wash there hair with it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
My first question when I saw this was, "What in the hell do you ask them for when you go in?" But I see it's been asked. I bet you do get some strange looks.

I keep my homebrew sealant in a big gallon-sized plastic food container from walmart that has a screw on lid. A typical batch doesn't fill it up and I have never had a problem with it getting dry or even getting a film over the top.

I used:
1 part mold builder
2 parts water
1 part auto slime
1 part glycol antifreeze.

I am totally out so my next batch I am going to use latex caulk instead of mold builder.
 

·
Alive and Lurkin'
Joined
·
597 Posts
jimbowilly said:
My first question when I saw this was, "What in the hell do you ask them for when you go in?" But I see it's been asked. I bet you do get some strange looks.

I keep my homebrew sealant in a big gallon-sized plastic food container from walmart that has a screw on lid. A typical batch doesn't fill it up and I have never had a problem with it getting dry or even getting a film over the top.

I used:
1 part mold builder
2 parts water
1 part auto slime
1 part glycol antifreeze.

I am totally out so my next batch I am going to use latex caulk instead of mold builder.
I made a version of the swamp sauce using silicon based latex caulk (white Alex Plus) from the hardware store instead of the mold builder. Just need to cut down the amount of water and I didn't add any glycol because the Slime has glycol in it. Works well and didn't dry out in the tires for about 12+ weeks over the summer. I just opened the tire up the other day and, although it didn't have any loose liquid material, it made a nice even coating around the inside of the tire with no clumps or "Stan's Balls" and was still holding air.

Swampy Remix:

1 Part (Tube) White Alex Plus
1 Part ATV Slime
1/2 Part Water

or for those balk at half parts:

2 Part Alex Plus
2 Part ATV Slime
1 Part Water

After emptying the tube of caulk I turned the tube upside-down, and filled the inverted empty hollows as the measuring device for the parts of Slime and H2O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
Jibro said:
After emptying the tube of caulk I turned the tube upside-down, and filled the inverted empty hollows as the measuring device for the parts of Slime and H2O.
Clever idea:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top