Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
jddist
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to see what others have come up with for cheap homemade bike stands. Not work stands, but just devices to keep bike propped up in the garage. Need ideas to better organize all my bikes. Thanks:)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Pisgah said:
Bar ends and a seat. No Joke. You can use it on the trails too.
:lol:

I bought a workstand 10 years ago - used it maybe 2 or 3 times. My neighbor bought a mondo Parks shop work stand - he uses it to hang tires and tubes on. When I see him working on his bike, it's either upside down or leaning against the garage. :lol:

I have an 8 X 12 shed in my back yard where I store my bikes. I use big plastic coated J hooks. They cost about a dollar each.. The back wheels are on the floor and the front wheels are up,secured by the J hooks. One wall is filled with bikes, well,only 5 but room for 3 more.;) The other wall is shelves from floor to ceiling where I store bike parts and camping gear for my twice a year bike trips.

The bike that I'm currently riding is always stored in my garage,leaning against the wall.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I made this stand from a bunch of scrap metal and a pair of vise grips. I think the base is from an old washer/dryer. :rolleyes: Works good. Top section is removable to clamp in my bench vise for working in my shop. You could make something to hold the top section on a wall to hold your bike. Just trying to help/give ideas.

·
jddist
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all great, especially the vice grip one. However, I need a solution more like what bike shops use to hold all the bikes up that are on display on the floor, like the kind that the rear tire is put into. Not a work stand. I have 4 bike and can't hang from ceiling or the wall and am tired of leaning them all up on each other which makes getting one out a real pain and usually cause scraps and scratches due to pedals.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Really nice work bench but where's the bike storage rack the OP is asking about? I see your bike leaning over against a cabinet.

No worries, though. I have a hard time reading the OP's posts too.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Here's something built out of pvc pipe for a truck bed but you could design and build something similar for the garage floor. Could also be built out of 2 X 4s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
istvisinet said:
However, I need a solution more like what bike shops use to hold all the bikes up that are on display on the floor, like the kind that the rear tire is put into. Not a work stand. I have 4 bike and can't hang from ceiling or the wall and am tired of leaning them all up on each other which makes getting one out a real pain and usually cause scraps and scratches due to pedals.
Just buy the ones the bike shop uses. Got a nice one there for $40 bucks.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
thestig_wj said:

like this, it works great i have another piece that extends upwards that holds my hydro pack shoes and helment
Do you find that you get more stiction in your fork legs if the ladies on the lowers are completely naked?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.