Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying this on my commuter.....I had a 32-11 cassette that recently died so I took it apart and am using the 32t cog put a spacer between it and an old 8 spd 28-11 cassette took out the 12t cog between the 14 and 11 then put in the 11 t cog then installed the lock nut I took it for a test ride and everything seemed ok we'll see tomarrow on my way to work!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Was the 32-11 casette an 8 spd cassette, is your drive train 8 or 9 spd? If not then mating the 32 to it and trying to use it with a 9spd drivetrain is going to cause you some trouble since the spacing between the cogs is different for 8 and 9 spd.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a 8 spd cassette to start out with and my rockhopper has a s
8 spd drive train so no problems with spacing

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well the official morning commute report didn't like it I missed the 12t cog going to put it back tonight when I get home I didn't use the 32 t cog much any way

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As long as the cassette shifts fine across the cogs without hanging up you should be fine. The large jump from the 11 to the 14 as well as the large jump from the 28 to the 32 may be an issue for you on real world roads but you'll need to determine if this is okay for you in use. Personally, I would have kept the 12 and lost the 11 but that is me.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well heres the result of 10+ miles yesterday on my "frankincassette" lol needless to say I went home and put back togeather right.....

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah nuthin too serious the cog was just loose on the splines I took it off put the cassette back on like normal all is well! I've seen worse!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Oooooooooooooops :D LMAO :D Now that's a little more play than you'll want in a cassette :D Do you know what went wrong?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there wasen't enough tension to hold it all together and the splines in the cog were funny and loose...... Like I said it was just an experiment.....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Shimano includes a 0.5mm thick shim with their 10-speed cassettes. If you can find one of these it'll probably solve this little problem for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts