Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a small compressor at home that would be used for setting up my tubeless tires and additionally use it with a air blow gun to 'dry clean' my bike after the wash.

Does any one have any recommendations on what would be appropriate? Something oil-less and powered by electricity is a requisite.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Harbor Freight compressor is affordable and will do as you've asked.

I do not know if they sell oilless ones (Haven't checked). Also, some of their models have cast rings, not nylon (maybe all of them do?).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I was able to find a 1 gal tank (I think) pancake compressor at home depot for $45 on clearance last year, be patient.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
+1 for the Harbor Freight compressors... at least the mid sized w/oil models. Specifically, their 2.5 HP 21 gallon model. I didn't expect a whole lot from it at that price point, but it has been going strong for years now. Might be more than you need, but I use it to run all my pneumatic tools including ratchets, nailers, saws, impacts, etc. Haven't painted with it... not my thing. The only thing I did was add a moisture filter.

Like I said, probably more than you need, but once you get a whiff of using pneumatic tools, you'll never go back (and you'll need a larger compressor). :)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ I got a similar digital inflator that had a schrader chuck crimped onto the hose. I cut it off and put a presta/schrader air chuck on it like you'd find on a bike floor pump.

I prefer an inflator with a bleed valve as inflation is rather coarse and the gauge doesn't correctly read tire pressure until you stop the air flow. I find it to be easier/faster to over shoot than bleed down.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Why do you want an oilless one? Even a compressor that will stand up to light industrial use is cheap but once you start including words like 'oilless' and 'quiet' into the description, not so much. Remember that if you get one with a decent sized tank you don't need to run it all the time. Fill the tank, switch it off and there will be enough air in store to get your jobs done.

·
Plays with tools
4,655 Posts
Why do you want an oilless one? Even a compressor that will stand up to light industrial use is cheap but once you start including words like 'oilless' and 'quiet' into the description, not so much. Remember that if you get one with a decent sized tank you don't need to run it all the time. Fill the tank, switch it off and there will be enough air in store to get your jobs done.
I'll second this. Oil-less compressors generally suck and are significantly louder than their oiled counterparts. If all you're doing is seating tires you can get 10 years out of the original oil so it's not like they are a maintenance nightmare.

I've got an 80 gallon 6hp oiled compressor at the shop that makes less noise than the 30 gallon 3hp oil-less compressor at home.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Nowadays my small cheap noisy oil-less type is OK for my application, mainly topping off car/moto/trailer tires and occasionally blowing something off... I never really use it for bike tires except if needing the flow rate for getting loose tubeless bike tires to catch air. Years ago I had a nice big oily one when I used air tools needing the high CFM (and an in-line oiler). Oil-less might be preferred for painting and other applications where oil might be bad.

I have the typical quick connect on the hose and if needing to seat loose tubeless tires I'll put the rubber tipped air blow gun on it and shoot air directly into the valve stem (with core removed). This yields a higher flow than going through the gauge or other air chucks I have. The old Silca type chuck can work well too, but they're a ***** to get off the stem when pressurized.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am looking to purchase a small compressor at home that would be used for setting up my tubeless tires and additionally use it with a air blow gun to 'dry clean' my bike after the wash.

Does any one have any recommendations on what would be appropriate? Something oil-less and powered by electricity is a requisite.
Oil free compressors are AWFUL. Get yourself one that uses oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.