Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Canyon Spectral: ON CF 7.0
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a bit of web research for a trip up to New Brunswick and fell across an old nemesis. Apparently MTBR Old Timer and Con Artist Supreme, Eric Coufal, AKA PEDALBOY, is now in California and writing for Trails.com and GolfLink.com!!!

http://www.trails.com/list_28847_parks-st-john-new-brunswick.html
http://www.trails.com/facts_9633_much-rent-snowboard-gear-aspen.html
http://www.golflink.com/list_25166_thai-restaurants-wasilla-alaska.html

Article Written By Eric Coufal
A former Alaskan of 20 years, Eric Coufal now resides in California. He has written for publications including "Outside" and "Backpacker" and has written a book on life in small-town Alaska, "North by Southeast." Coufal attended Syracuse University and was a professional mountain guide and backcountry expedition leader for 18 years. He worked in Russia, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, Belize and much of Alaska.

Jesus-H-Christ...just when you think he's gone underground for good, he somehow pops back into your life!!!

BeeT's

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TraumaARNP wondered: "...What exactly made him a "con artist"?"

Well...he lied, stole and scammed just about every friend he made on this board. When he lived on the West Coast he tried to get me to send him cash in one of his scams...I knew better! He was passing bad checks in upstate New York and had a warrant out for his arrest...I even had a sheriff from up there contact me looking for any info on him. Then he got violent with his girlfriend (also an mtbr member) and she got the Hell outta Dodge in a hurry. Finally he buggered off to Alaska since it was probably the only State where you can still get away with the kinda sh¡t he was good at and it was from there that he pulled the suicide scam.

He's a fukking sociopathic dirtbag. If I had the time I would contact every single company, magazine and person he has worked for and fill them in on exactly how sick & twisted he is. I truly believe he's one of those rare people you truly need to be wary of because I honestly feel he is capable of some really bad sh¡t...

BeeT's

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey Brad Trent, did you decide on a trip to New Brunswick? I know its off topic, but if you need any info from up here I live in Saint John and have been mountain biking in this area most of my life... Feel free to PM me if you do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The New Brunswick trip was a quick in-and-out for work...I was barely there long enough to shoot the job, eat a lobster roll and head back to Maine to finish the story. But from what I saw, yeah...I can see heading up there with a bike. Maybe later this fall or next summer I could pack up for a week of Maritimes Madness....

BeeT's

·
beer thief
4,926 Posts
I always thought trails.com sucked, and this is just further proof. His 'bio' sounds like a bunch of BS also. If he really wrote this "North by Southeast" book it is not well marketed.

'koff, Pedalboy

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Cool.... Some old time drama on the forum. :D

Least it's good news that he is still passionate about the outdoors and writing about it.

G

·
and here I was thinking Holy Sh!t... BT surfaces again! :D

Hey, next time you are in Maine, hit me up and I'll show you around Bradbury Mountain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
indigosky said:
and here I was thinking Holy Sh!t... BT surfaces again! :D

Hey, next time you are in Maine, hit me up and I'll show you around Bradbury Mountain.
Awwwww, shucks...you missed me?!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Holy crap that was entertaining! Took me a while to read through some of those old threads but that is some pure internet liquid gold (or maybe liquid puke).

G

·
I had a puppet account as PedalBoy a while back. I even had the "restricted" symbol . The mods no likey though. I used to argue with the guy back when they had a chat room.

·
member since '97
171 Posts
Glad I didn't trade any wine with him back then. Probably would have sent me Thunderbird as a Petrus.

There is a line between acting like an a-hole and being one. He's the later

·
Registered
122 Posts
He could write....

Back in the late 90's, PedalBoy kind of ruled this site. He was typically contentious and antagonistic. As a newbie you always had to think of his response anytime you posted. Either he would tear apart your post and make you feel stupid, maybe say something positive or best of all, say nothing. He was witty enough and did add to the conversations that he was tolerated. He did make you have to become thick skinned, to hang around here long enough to get on the Brad Trent Christmas list and get a copy of Rush LImbaugh from him. I knew I was part of the group then, thanks Brad, a special day!

I think after the inaugural MTBR fling in Sedona, that is when Eric's interactions with members started and things fell apart. I left the board for a few years and when I came back, he was gone. I knew people Eric was involved with and heard the stories firsthand from them, I couldn't believe it. I was also here when we got the initial post from Eric's "mom", telling us about his "bipolar and suicide." Then we had the post linked above about resurfacing. Then today, I haven't been here in years. Why today, this thread?

What I did want to state was that he could write. In the early years he would write extraordinary pieces a few times a year. The last, if I remember correctly was, "Twas the night before Christmas". I copied and pasted all his writings wanting to save them, but they have long since been lost. I think since MTBR reformatted in the early 2000's, all those old archives are gone.

What a talent he was, what a waste!

Carter Taylor

1 - 20 of 36 Posts