Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled and I googled...

looking for something blingy and light to replace the stocker 175mm Truvativ crank on my SS.

nothing is jumping out at me.... so I must be blind.
the home polished new style XTR crank looks decent enough, but before I go out and do that - does anyone have any experience using something really nice out there?

I know that most people will lean toward the cheap and strong, but this SS is a garage queen and quite frankly, I'm fine with that. I have other bikes I use to beat the snot out of that need something indestructible.

thanks for the help

ding.

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
rammalammadingdong said:
... but this SS is a garage queen and quite frankly, I'm fine with that....
Love it.

I also love Middleburns, but I'm not so much in the know when it comes to bling.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
chromed profiles?
if it's a garage queen, who gives a fig if they're heavy?!
they have a timeless elegance to their simple "one tube" structure... spiderless ring, no pinchbolts on the crankarms.
if you want bling, gold plate the profiles.
you gotta specify "holy grail" in this crowd.
after a couple exploding bb's/sheared 50$ bolts, my holy grail is "not breaking" :D

·
30-ton War Machine
793 Posts
if bling is your thing, there is nothing higher, that isn't carbon, than the Rotor cranks

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Pics of rotor cranks????

I personally have the modded M960's as pictured above. So far, not a single problem with mine. They are fairly light at about 630 grams complete. Had mine modded/ceramic coated for $150. You can do the modding and polishing yourself and there are some threads on here about that specifically.

Bling for me is a set of sweet wings. They don't make them any more and you will be somewhat hard pressed to find a set as they sell fast when ever they come up.

Below is a pic of my M960's colored to a close match to my frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
1SPD said:
Sweet rings set up w/ a micro drive! I think these cranks are somewhere around the 500 gram range with bb! Old school (late 90's)
I thought they were "Sweet Wings", I could be wrong.....good luck finding some of those though! ;)

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
The only problem with the polished look is that they are hard to keep that way. They scratch up really easy and you will be constantly polishing them. Powder coating or ceramic is the way to go. Though i have a wear spot on my non drive arm from heal strikes which they aren't supposed to get. May need to look into having mine redone but in black this time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1SPD said:
The only problem with the polished look is that they are hard to keep that way. They scratch up really easy and you will be constantly polishing them.
+1 - I have a set of mid 90's cranks that are polished and they look great on my freshly cleaned bike and for about the first 5 minutes of my ride then they look like crap until I polish em again! :madman:

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
I don't have time for the polishing! I always try to keep the bike clean so I know it would drive me up the wall to have to be doing that all the time. BTW, your bike looks quite hot in the new color and clean! Love the headtube badge as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1SPD said:
I don't have time for the polishing! I always try to keep the bike clean so I know it would drive me up the wall to have to be doing that all the time. BTW, your bike looks quite hot in the new color and clean! Love the headtube badge as well.
Thanks! I've changed out a couple of things again since I posted those pics, I'll have to post updated ones.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I modded and polished a set of 960's. It's not terribly hard to do with various grinding and sanding tools for your drill and or dremel, it just takes time. I used a bench grinder as well to shape the spider. The toughest part for me, by far, was sanding out imperfections and then sanding off the anodization. polishing was pretty easy, but as it's been said above, it looks great, but it doesnt last very long.

I modded a second set of 960's for my other singlespeed, and I basically gave up. I shaped the spider and sanded out some imperfections... then I gave up. the right arm is currently brushed-ish while the left arm is xtr grey with mangled areas where I took out major imperfections.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
Thems good looking cranks.

I like old XT/XTR or Race Face Turbine with a 110 (and I'd consider a 94) bcd.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts