Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my hollowpoint expert for about 2 months and am disapointed with the tires performance. I am looking for a "do-it all" tire that is around a 2.2 width. I very rarely ride when the trail is muddy and would like a good cornering tire. Also, those that have went tubeless, I hear the rims can be used with or without tubes. Do you need to use Stan's to go tubeless? What is the process to switch over. Thanks.

·
mtbjk
285 Posts
richeyr said:
I have had my hollowpoint expert for about 2 months and am disapointed with the tires performance. I am looking for a "do-it all" tire that is around a 2.2 width. I very rarely ride when the trail is muddy and would like a good cornering tire. Also, those that have went tubeless, I hear the rims can be used with or without tubes. Do you need to use Stan's to go tubeless? What is the process to switch over. Thanks.
I for one ride tubless but i have tubless ust wheels mavick 3.1. I do run tube type tires but i do not run the tubes I only run stan's. right now I am running the Panaracer fire xc pros in size 2.1 and am completly amazed at how well they hook up and i run 40 to 45 psi front and rear.I live in Florida and we have alot of sand but we also have alot of rocks and roots along with some of the hard pack clay from the old reclaimed mineing land that we ride on a weekly basis and even on the damp clay when it get's slick on top they still hook up. as for climbing we have some very steep 30 to 60 foot climbes that are loose and sand dusted and with the fires i just shift my weight to the front of the saddle and up i go . absolutly no problems on the climbs. I also just came of a set of hutchinson scorpian airlites tubetype and they also cornerd very well and had a little less rolling resistance well still climbed well on my hp but are not as good a climber as the fire's. as for any weight saveings the panaracer fires in the 2.1 size only weigh in at 580 grams each so very light and put your 2 oz of stans in each tire and you are still only at like 650 grams each very light for a tubless set up. as for flats since i'v been running stanz even in the tube type tires without tubes i have not flatted. stans flat out works better than anything else you can buy. I was on a ride about a month ago and was about 5 miles out into the trail when i heard a hissing and felt the stan's spraying on the back of my legg everytime the tire rotated and in about 20 to 30 seconds it stopped allthough i lost about 3 to 5 pds of air prs i never stopped rideing and road about another 15 miles that day without haveing to put air back in. i did not have to air it up untill my next ride on the friday of the next week 6 days later. they do hold air better than a tube type tire as long as you have the stan's in it . as for the bike set up ive got the 04 hp with fox ava rear and for rl 100 on front I run the rear sag at 28% and the front at 1 inch sag and it just flat out hooks up that way and climbs better dw recomends the 28 to 33% percent sag and ive tried both and the 33% works well and still climbes well it does work better at 28% sag. hope this helps you and i will try to attach a photo have a good one and RIDE ON
Jan R

Attachments

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
You are going to have to order the tubless valve stems

if you still have the stock wheels (crosslands). I have hutchinson scorpion tubless on mine and I love them. You aren't supposed to have to run sealant in them but I tried everything to stop air from leaking. I finally added stans sealant and haven't had to add but once on the last month. You are going to notice a major difference if you change out the maxxis hansventure tires to almost anything else. Those have to be the worst tires in history IMO. When you change them out, pay attention to how heavy the tires and the stock tubes are, it is unreal.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
On previous bikes I ran a Fire XC Pro 2.1 in front and a Continental Traction Pro 2.0 rear.

Once I began riding the Hollowpoint two years ago, I noticed that the Fire XC was no longer doing its thing up front. It was breaking free too quickly, even aired down to the 32 psi range. For whatever reason, my '03 seemed to run really light on the front wheel, to the point of necessitating a swap to a "light" coil in my X-Vert Air fork ("light"? I'm 200 pounds!).

I eventually replaced the Fire XC Pro with a WTB Mutano Raptor Race 2.4. It's fat, hooks up nicely on my normal mix of NorCal clay and dust, and it's not so heavy. I can run it at 28 psi without pinching it.

I continue to run the Traction Pro in the rear, aired up to 40 psi. Even though Conti no longer makes that tire, I continue to search for it at places like icycles.com.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out a friends MBA that had a tire shootout in it and they had the KEnda Nevegal Lite as their winner for best tire. Does anyone have any experience with this tire before I order a pair? I would like a second oppinion. I have hear some trash talk about trusting what they say in MBA.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
richeyr said:
I checked out a friends MBA that had a tire shootout in it and they had the KEnda Nevegal Lite as their winner for best tire. Does anyone have any experience with this tire before I order a pair? I would like a second oppinion. I have hear some trash talk about trusting what they say in MBA.
How funny is that? The post above this one on my mtbr "subscription" list is trashing MBA and at the same time complaining they tore the sidewall of their Kenda Klaw. I know, I know, not related (it's a 29"er post, to boot), but morissettely ironic.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have found that norrow-ish 2.0 tires gave pretty good grip on the front, but it's probably due to the terrain here in NJ: roots, rocks, clay, rocks, rocks and rocks.

It seems to me that a bigger tire makes the front-end a tad less precise and slower. But that's only me, what do I know.

If you have problems with snake bite flats, get real UST tires (possibly a bit of Stan's goop in them for good measure). They hold up a lot better. I still get the occasional flat here and there with them, imagine what it was before... Plus you can run them at insanely low pressures and they still respond well.

As for the tread pattern... it depends a lot where you ride. And there's no better way to know than trying them out. I personally like Hutchinson tires as they're great all-around tires. Since you don't ride in mud consider the Pythons.

Cheers,

Maurice

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I am currently running tubes in the Mavic Crosslands with 2.4 MutanoRaptors. They are great for hardpack, sand, and the occasional Tahoe adventure. 2.24s are for more aggressive terrain but both are very efficient rollers.

I used these tires on my previous bike and have only tried on the Crosslands recently. They definately benefit from the wider rim.

Mr.P

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
richeyr said:
I have had my hollowpoint expert for about 2 months and am disapointed with the tires performance. I am looking for a "do-it all" tire that is around a 2.2 width. I very rarely ride when the trail is muddy and would like a good cornering tire.
I've been using Panaracer Cinders on my Hollowpoint for around 7 months now. (I gave up on the Hansventure tires after only a week.) Prior to that, on another bike, I had been using Panaracer Fire XCs. I liked the Fire XCs except for the fact that the side knobs would sometimes break off over rocky terrain. The Cinders solve this particular problem by having much larger knobs. They've held up great and I like the way they perform.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Spiders

richeyr said:
I have found that the Spider Hutchinson's are awesome on a tubeless setup. Pretty much good at most types of terrain. If all you do is ride hardpack and it's dry, give the pythons a try.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
I have found that the Spider Hutchinson's are awesome on a tubeless setup. Pretty much good at most types of terrain. If all you do is ride hardpack and it's dry, give the pythons a try.
The best upgrade I have done on my '04 HP Expert was investing in a pair of Chris King disk hubs laced to Mavic XC717's and throwing on some Hutchinson 2.1 Bulldogs wth ultra-lite tubes. I too originally ran some 2.24 Mutano Raptors on the Crosslands' but got tired of the rear tire rubbing against the shock pivot arms on full compression {a real drag on a steep climb}. I don't see how you can run a larger rear tire on this wheelset. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure which gave the too close clearance; the tire , the wheel or the combination. The handling improvement since the upgrade has been dramatic and I am a very happy rider on my HP :cool:

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Am I the only person that loves the hansventures? I've found they work great, they roll very well and hook up on most anything. They can get a little squirly in mud, but we don't get a whole lot of mud here.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Vulcan said:
Am I the only person that loves the hansventures? I've found they work great, they roll very well and hook up on most anything. They can get a little squirly in mud, but we don't get a whole lot of mud here.
Hey Vulcan! Whazzup with the tire report? What about a RIDE report?!?!

Oh yeah, when you gonna change your little slogan under your screen name?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Vulcan said:
During the week that I used them, I thought that they hooked up okay, and cornered okay. The thing that really drove me nuts was the tread pattern - it would snarf up all the small pebbles that it could find and then spit them at the frame. On the trails that I ride there was a constant chatter from these tiny rocks hitting my frame. I only wish I would've taken them off sooner. The paint on the underside of the downtube and back of the seattube is seriously pitted from the abuse it took during that first week.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
haha, yeah I should probably do that. Yeah, about that ride report... I still havent made it to the trails. I've been buried in school work and everyone is to busy with other stuff to run me to the trails (the only way I can make it to the trail is if someone drops me off there...)

I've been making do with the local comunity park which has a few makeshift runs. The good news is that once I get my liscense I will be able to ride alot more. Most kids stop riding once they get a liscense, I just see it as an oporunity to ride alot more.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
I've ridden the road a good bit which is still covered in stones from the winter. I haven't seen anything like this yet. Thanks for the heads up though. Anyway, I'm not one to abuse my stuff at all but I'm probably not going to worry a whole lot about that kind of thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use the Kenda Nevegal UST 2.1 on my Truth. I run them at around 28-30psi with Stan Notubes tire sealant. I find them to be very good all-purpose tires. The ascending, descending, cornering and braking grips are great. Look at the WTB Weirwolf UST also, the performance is on the par with the Nevegal with less rolling resistance. Both are so-so over muddy terrain.
Just to try something new, I order the continental Vertical UST 2.3 with my MKIII.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Vulcan said:
I've ridden the road a good bit which is still covered in stones from the winter. I haven't seen anything like this yet. Thanks for the heads up though. Anyway, I'm not one to abuse my stuff at all but I'm probably not going to worry a whole lot about that kind of thing.
If it was an occasional pebble hitting the frame, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

It was sort of like how my Fire XCs (and probably a lot of other tires too) behave when they're brand spankin' new. For the first mile or so, the rubber is really sticky and you hear the clatter of small rocks and sand being thrown against your frame. But once they get covered with a good coating of dust, they're not quite so sticky and things quiet down.

The Hansventure tires did this all the time - I kept expecting them to "break in", but they didn't. I attribute this to the tread pattern: there are smallish grooves in the tread in which the small rocks will lodge. At some point centrifugal force causes them to dislodge, frequently at high velocities directed toward the frame.

After my ride tonight I took a look at the Hansventures lying on the shelf. There's still some of these small rocks sticking in the tread. They range from 1/8" to nearly 1/4" in size with fairly sharp corners - little junks of quartz and decomposed granite. Depending on where you live, you might not have a lot of this stuff, but for me that's basically what the trails are covered with.

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
Vulcan said:
How can you comment on the tires when you haven't hit the trails yet!? :p

I'm just giving you a bad time because we all want to hear how the MKIII rides. Pictures and details please!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.