Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Hollowpoint (LX front, XT rear) has recently begun ghost shifting badly on the trail. Mainly on middle chainring & between middle sprockets. I'm no mechanic but I've been adjusting derailleurs for years. On the stand the bike shifts PERFECTLY, and no probs on road either. I thought the shift cable may be binding, but when I disconnect it it slides freely. LBS tune-up did not help (they also verified that the shifting on the stand & in their parking lot is fine). I am guessing that the suspension movement slackens the cable. Would shortening the cable housing be something to try? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Verify that the derailleur hanger is straight, although in that case it may throw off shifting with other combinations.

Check that the chain, cogs and rings are still in good shape and mate well (that doesn't sound right...). The chain may skip under load, from the sound of it that's the most likely. If you replace just the chain you will definitely notice skip on the most often used cog, it's best to replace chain + cassette, possibly rings (at least middle).

The only piece of housing that matters is the one between the swingarm and the main frame. If it's long enough and does not bind with the suspension unloaded then it's OK as its path will only become shorter.

HTH,

Maurice

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
If you're up to it, I suggest you experiment with a full length housing run. You can be non-committal initially, and simply zip-tie the housing to the frame in a few locations to hold it secure. I am aware of such a change solving the problem on a other full-suspension bikes and expect similar results with the Hollowpoint.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Maurice said:
Check that the chain, cogs and rings are still in good shape and mate well (that doesn't sound right...). The chain may skip under load, from the sound of it that's the most likely. If you replace just the chain you will definitely notice skip on the most often used cog, it's best to replace chain + cassette, possibly rings (at least middle).
Maurice described the same issue I had. Under power, I had the skip. It was a streched chain, & worn cassette, & maybe worn crank rings. I thought my chain would last a half year, I was mistaken.

Let us know what it was when you fix you problem.

Mr. P

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice.

Hanger was not bent. Chain was not stretched. Cog teeth looked fine. Took off the rear wheel & examined the gears more closely. Found the problem.
There was a small piece of dark twig jammed deep in the cassette between the 4th & 5th cogs. Did not see it at first, and the usual cloth-flossing cleaning missed it. That tiny bit of wood was just enough to cause the chain to jump under the load of XC riding.
Proving once again that many drivetrain issues can be solved with a good clean & lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.