Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in Tahoe next week and would like some information on HITG trail. Anyone ridden/hiked it yet, or have any information on conditions?

Thanks

SS93
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
HITG is always one of the very last trails to clear, especially on the shaded north slopes where snow drifts can be big. Call one of the local bike shops to check its status.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
hole in the ground

did this last year..the whole loop. starting from borel. ( the parking lot across the st)
all way to sugerbowl and back.

took about 6 hours..pretty much stuck to the trail that was provided to me by a local paper in town..seemed like only one big route to do.....so i cant tell u anynames of the trails..
other then its big and massive and WAAAY out there.

super awsome...all around riding up there..steep decents..gnarly climbs and some super techy stuff too..and of course amazing views and some flowy sections..
bring backups and a friend...woudnt do this trail by my self..there is nothing out there...

AMAZING loop and trail..talk to a local bike shop in town..for trail specifics.
pretty sure the trail head has NO maps of any sort.
gooood luck..WOO HO!

peace
gizzard S& P
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,370 Posts
Still snowed in

Usually isnt rideable to mid july, with all the cold and wet weather we have been having lately, upper elevation snow just hasnt melted. Most of HITG is in a north facing bowl with very large trees so it is very shaded, it just slows down the snow melt.
 

·
Kiss my Grits!
Joined
·
115 Posts
I tried Hole in the Ground yesterday and there is still a lot of snow. Too slushy to ride over and had to walk more than a mile in total.

I would say that you will have to hold off until July for this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Thanks for the report. I don't usually ride this mid-July as well. Definitely one of my fav rides around! Only and hour away from my house so I usually get a couple of rounds on HITG. I usually park in Soda Springs in the gravel/dirt lot next to that restaurant on the right before you head up to the Snow Labs - that way your not ending the ride with a climb up to the Boreal lot. I always pack food and stop for awhile at Lola lake - its really awesome.
 

·
We need more wax
Joined
·
307 Posts
GizzardS&P said:
did this last year..the whole loop. starting from borel. ( the parking lot across the st)
all way to sugerbowl and back.

took about 6 hours..pretty much stuck to the trail that was provided to me by a local paper in town..seemed like only one big route to do.....so i cant tell u anynames of the trails..
other then its big and massive and WAAAY out there.
6 hours? Sugar Bowl? You must have done significantly more than just Hole in the Ground. The actual HITG section is only about 2 hrs. When you got back to Donner Pass Rd where did you go? Curious is there are more goods worth exploring. Normally I turn at the central Sierra Snow Station and head back on 4 wheeler trail to Boreal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
bycyclist said:
Thanks for the report. I don't usually ride this mid-July as well. Definitely one of my fav rides around! Only and hour away from my house so I usually get a couple of rounds on HITG. I usually park in Soda Springs in the gravel/dirt lot next to that restaurant on the right before you head up to the Snow Labs - that way your not ending the ride with a climb up to the Boreal lot. I always pack food and stop for awhile at Lola lake - its really awesome.
We used to do that. I just park at the end of the trail by the fire station now. Mo' easier. I read on www.truckeetrails.org that they're recommending riding HITG as an out and back this year due to the construction along I80. Anybody know if you can still do the thing as a loop, or if you should try shuttling from end to start, or really doing an out and back?
 

·
We need more wax
Joined
·
307 Posts
nachomc said:
We used to do that. I just park at the end of the trail by the fire station now. Mo' easier. I read on www.truckeetrails.org that they're recommending riding HITG as an out and back this year due to the construction along I80. Anybody know if you can still do the thing as a loop, or if you should try shuttling from end to start, or really doing an out and back?
on the website is says:
With the construction on I-80, and the lack of an official right-of-way between I-80 and U.S. 40, cyclists are urged by the Land Managers to ride the HitG as an out and back this year.

which right of way are they referring to? The road by the Snow Lab?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
justbob said:
on the website is says:
With the construction on I-80, and the lack of an official right-of-way between I-80 and U.S. 40, cyclists are urged by the Land Managers to ride the HitG as an out and back this year.

which right of way are they referring to? The road by the Snow Lab?
Yeah that's what I can't figure out. I don't know where U.S 40 is and all that. The Boreal parking lot looked pretty full when I drove by last week (with construction stuff) but I don't know if that will be blocking the ability to ride through.
 

·
We need more wax
Joined
·
307 Posts
I would think that on weekends you can ride through the Boral parking lot even with all of the equipment.

Has anyone ridden HITG clockwise? I wonder what the fun factor is like.
 

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
Joined
·
19,859 Posts
nachomc said:
Yeah that's what I can't figure out. I don't know where U.S 40 is and all that. The Boreal parking lot looked pretty full when I drove by last week (with construction stuff) but I don't know if that will be blocking the ability to ride through.
Don't forget, there's new singletrack going out to Donner Lake. Adds several more miles to the HitG experience. May be a good time to do it if HitG's an out & back.
 

·
We need more wax
Joined
·
307 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Don't forget, there's new singletrack going out to Donner Lake. Adds several more miles to the HitG experience. May be a good time to do it if HitG's an out & back.
I almost forgot about that. That makes the ride into a near epic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for all of the feedback. It looks like I'll have to miss this ride yet again due to snow. I figured that since it was a light snow year I might have a chance, but the cool sping put an end to that theory.

Maybe next year.

SS93
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,787 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Don't forget, there's new singletrack going out to Donner Lake. Adds several more miles to the HitG experience. May be a good time to do it if HitG's an out & back.
Where is this singletrack located? I would enjoy more ridering.
 

·
Hardtail Mafia
Joined
·
58 Posts
steelstump93 said:
I figured that since it was a light snow year I might have a chance, but the cool sping put an end to that theory.
It wasn't all that light. Significantly more snow than 2007 and 2008!
 

·
Kiss my Grits!
Joined
·
115 Posts
Hitg

I just rode ('er walked) HITG on Tuesday of this week. We parked at the lower Lola trailhead, just up from the fire station, and rode pavement to and thru Boreal. There was activivty in the Boreal parking lot, but that lot is only a few hundred yards long and plenty big enough for a mtn biker to work their way thru safely.

As for a clockwise journey, I'm not sure I could handle the stair climb at the start, much less finish the other 14 miles. Long, technical, fairly steep, and at elevation?

I am going to try Toad's on Friday.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top