Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I'd venture a guess of after July 4th still.
That place has many north facing areas in shadows. It takes a while for it to be passable and fun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Umm... yeah. Rode it today. If you don't mind a little adventure and some walking, it's still fun. After a handful of snow crossings, you start to get really good at getting over them... but after about 100 of them and plenty of hiking, downed trees, mud bogs, etc., you may want to wait until about late August for a free and clear loop. The snow is deep in many places.

For the adventurous, it took me almost 2.5 hours to loop it.

For the less adventurous, it might be more fun to go clockwise, starting from the end (Soda Springs Rd.) and riding up past Lola Montez Lk. until you get tired of going over snow... then come back the way you came. You can get pretty far (that fire road?).

Aw heck... just go to Downieville.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Any more recent updates on this trail (I know, its only been a week since an update!), I was sort of planning on doing the loop tomorrow - 7/5. After reading otbp_nocal's post, I'm not sure I'm up for lots of downed trees and 100's (?) of snow crossings???

·
Registered
51 Posts
A group of us did Hole in the Ground on Monday(6/30). There is still some snow banks...Some of them you may have to hoof it, but it is not bad at all...the trail is in awesome shape and lots of fun...stop worrying about snow and get out and enjoy the ride!!!

Stay safe,
dew

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Just got back from riding the loop (counter clockwise - normal direction). MTN DEW, you are right. Really no snow at all. We had to pull off the trail, and "pose" in the snow, just to get a pix.

That is one fun ride. I'm happly whipped. Off to get a beer!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
El Salt said:
Just got back from riding the loop (counter clockwise - normal direction). MTN DEW, you are right. Really no snow at all. We had to pull off the trail, and "pose" in the snow, just to get a pix.

That is one fun ride. I'm happly whipped. Off to get a beer!
yo Salt....come back and ride it again with me and some freinds Monday. By the way, you may see two of my buddies(that'll be doing Hole Monday) out on your ride tomorrow. They're doing the same ride, except starting at the top, doing the ride, and then riding all the way back up. Yeah, they're kinda fit and sh!t.:eekster: One on a X-5, blue, and the other on an Orange El Capitan.

Cheers man! Ride on!:thumbsup:

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Myke -

HITG was great! I'll admit, it does work you (or should I say, it worked us). I’m guessing a combo of the altitude and the smoke we’ve been breathing for a while now. Yesterday (Sat 7/5) when we started the ride the sky’s were super clear, but by the time we were finishing the smoke was really getting thick. Last night, here in N*, I figured there must have been a new fire someplace close, as the smoke was really bad. The worst we’ve had since Folsom last week.

Today its Mt. Rose to Spooner. This morning the sky’s are clearer than last night, but still some haze / smoke. Its going to mess up all of my tourist pictures from the Flume Trail!

I’ll keep an eye out for other Ventana’s, as I always do. Enjoy HITG on Monday, we’ll be off the bikes that day. Tuesday we are off to Mammoth.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I couldn't believe how thick the smoke was up there last night. We went up to Reno and back, and on the way back, just past soda springs, it was definitely hindering visibility.

Well, glad to hear the trail is mostly snow-free now. Riding it Tuesday

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Oh Man!

Internal14 said:
yo Salt....come back and ride it again with me and some freinds Monday. By the way, you may see two of my buddies(that'll be doing Hole Monday) out on your ride tomorrow. They're doing the same ride, except starting at the top, doing the ride, and then riding all the way back up. Yeah, they're kinda fit and sh!t.:eekster: One on a X-5, blue, and the other on an Orange El Capitan.

Cheers man! Ride on!:thumbsup:
Myke,

Knew I should have called you last night tosee how your ride went. Would have totoally been up for HITG today. Better have some fun for me...

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Ixquiac said:
Myke,

Knew I should have called you last night tosee how your ride went. Would have totoally been up for HITG today. Better have some fun for me...
DOH! Totally would have loved ot have you along too man. We had four to start out with in our group, then another finally caught us at Lola Montez Lk. and rode the rest of the way in with us.

BTW: Everyone listen up....The trail is in HORRIBLE CONDITION. Please DO NOT ride it until at least September. I will hopefully will have ridden it enough to be ok with letting others ride it! :p Man, seriously, that trail is rippen right now. Best I think I've ever ridden it. Just so much fun.:thumbsup: :cool:

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Internal14 said:
Please DO NOT ride it until at least September. I will hopefully will have ridden it enough to be ok with letting others ride it! :p
Nope, better wait 'till next year when I can get back up here again! :D

Like Internal said, the Hole is amazing. So beautiful up there right now, and wow, what a trail.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can anyone provide a down tree report? FATRAC has trail work scheduled this Sunday (10 AM at the Boreal/Castle pass trail head, if anyone cares to join us). We would like some idea of what work needs to be done to IMPROVE the trail. Note that due to fire restrictions, FS won't let us operate chainsaws, so they plan on cutting out the big down trees independent of our trail work.

Are there down trees that should be cut out in such a way to improve the trail? If so, speak up, since the FS sawers might not see the trees in the same way a person on a bike sees them.

Anything else need work? And just to set the record straight, no we were not the one to add all the concrete blocks about 4 years ago. It would have been better to have used native granite.

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.