Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Important Hole-in-the-Ground Notice

"This email is being sent to as many mountain bicyclists as possible to spread the word about a parking problem at the lower trailhead for Hole In The Ground Trail & Lower Lola Montez trailhead near the Soda Springs Fire Station.

The Forest Service describes the situation as follows: Recently, the land owner just past the trailhead called the Truckee Ranger District. He has a contracting business and uses large/heavy equipment - on weekends when trailhead parking is at its peak he can't get to his residence. As you know, we park on both sides of the road - apparently this makes it impossible for the property owner to get through. The problem area exists at the corner just past/east of the trailhead sign.

The Truckee Ranger District asks us to spread the word to not park on either side of the road past the trailhead sign going east? The RD is working with the county to get "no parking signs" put up and then enforced.

The RD was told by the landowner that the response he has gotten back from bicyclists is rude and confrontational. The RD hopes we can work this out and understands it is probably a small number of users, but it immediately gives the entire user group a black-eye when foul language and bad attitudes are presented.

I bet the homeowner is frustrated. I bet some trail users are frustrated, too. I think there is room to work on this in a positive way. When in doubt take the high road.

Relayed by Jim & Cathy Haagen-Smit
IMBA Reps - Northern CA
Long Live Long Rides - http://www.imba.com "

·
Fart smeller
17,821 Posts
That SUCKS!

Not really. There's plenty of parking elsewhere. I wonder if Boreal minds us parking in their lot, or even that service station/restaurant on the other side of the freeway- there's lots of parking in that lot- Trent Lott has parked there after buying a lottery ticket.

Thanks for posting that.

fp <---- sooooooo bored at work.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Don't blame the guy...

I'd be a lil ticked too. It becomes a major CF past the trailhead where the road veers left.

Plenty of parking on the other side of hwy 80, plus Boreal (although I prefer doing that fireroad jaunt first).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
945 Posts
speaking of hole in the ground, I remember someone posted pics of it not too long ago but I cannot find it. Anyone have the link?

thanks,

-Sp

ps, can Hole in the ground be shuttled?

Finch Platte said:
Not really. There's plenty of parking elsewhere. I wonder if Boreal minds us parking in their lot, or even that service station/restaurant on the other side of the freeway- there's lots of parking in that lot- Trent Lott has parked there after buying a lottery ticket.

Thanks for posting that.

fp <---- sooooooo bored at work.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Yeah we have some of those lazy parkers around

the Tamarancho and Montara trailheads here in the bay area and pisses off the locals no end, especially as there is sufficient parking nearby that bothers no one. I think it's the same people who just have to park nearest the door to the local supermarket/mall. It's a good thing that they do ride bikes but sad in that they're still lazy and inconsiderate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts