Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
fraid of heights
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask how others feel on the subject of sharing trail information/locations on these forums.

In my state forum it seems that whenever someone asks about getting information on local rides. That one or two longtime and respected members chime in on the side of keeping things on the down low. The result usually being that said information does not get passed.

So I was just wondering if this was the norm on most state forums. Or are people more likely to share trail info in other states?

Thanks...

·
Registered
555 Posts
We have a simple rule here

At our favorite Trails. The guys that build and maintain the trails have asked us all to not post directions to these trails on the internet. We are however, encouraged to bring anyone to the trails personally. These guys do such a good job of building and maintaining these trail ( Can you imagine they rake the leaves off of over ten miles of trails every year) that I respect those wishes. Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
jimbo2k said:
... not post directions to these trails on the internet. We are however, encouraged to bring anyone to the trails personally....
IMO, this is the best response for sensitive trails. What it does it makes it available for people who have enough passion to make the effort to find the trail, but keeps it off the web for the "easy find". Not really a secret, not really "holding 'em", but does help to manage the traffic.

Also, I think the #1 rule should be to respect the wishes of the builder. If they want it off the internet, then keep it off the net. If they don't care, and/or if it's OK, then post away.

my $0.02

·
364 Posts
I've lived in a couple places (Telluride, Asheville) that have rides extensively covered by guidebooks, but also have plenty of unmarked trails that can't be effectively described.

I think it's okay to direct newbs/gapers to the trails that everybody already knows about, but local knowlege trails should be left, well, to the locals.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Show don't tell for the really secret stuff. Why?

Because you always get those idiots who come online, asking about some trails who have no business even riding trails period due to their lack of respect of the trail. It puts the secret stash trails in danger because usually they are either trails on private land or trails barely under the radar that if abused, they will be taken away.

The idiots who come on demanding local knowledge can just go ride the normal trails. You can usually tell their attitude when you tell them this and they start crying sour grapes and tossing out the insults as a reply.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Troll-in-the-box

lidarman said:

Because you always get those idiots who come online, asking about some trails who have no business even riding trails period due to their lack of respect of the trail. It puts the secret stash trails in danger because usually they are either trails on private land or trails barely under the radar that if abused, they will be taken away.

The idiots who come on demanding local knowledge can just go ride the normal trails. You can usually tell their attitude when you tell them this and they start crying sour grapes and tossing out the insults as a reply.
True words. Basic manners and respect for trails and other riders will go a long way in getting useful trail intel and ride guides. A lack of manners will get, well, not alot. Most forums and ride areas have plenty of info available with very little research. Try to do some homework before angling out some lazy tripe like: "You lucky bastids, I'm maybe going to come ride your dirt sometime, don't know when, maybe never. I want to take up your time and energy, so why don't you spoon feed me the details on all the secrets of your best and favorite stuff."

Perhaps some examples for illustration:

makachut said:
No, really... every time {ok almost} I meet someone from Texas I never have to ask them where they are from, for some odd reason they just have to yelp it out ""I'm from Texas:cornut: "with their heavy breathing,poor tech. skills, and expensive bike.I just figured that you all sold you soul for a nice ride Poor poor Texans:devil: :devil: waiting for you in McAllen or Lubbock to do a ride

You get a line and I'll get a pole and we'll go down to the crawdad hole:rockon:
makachut said:
Now, that's what I'm talking about...Someone posting a ride... Damn

Hey Southern New Mexico now is a great time to start posting.With all the snow here in Santa Fe, this is the perfect oppurtunity to venture out to the south for rides. So, who'll spill the beans on the awsome rides down there?
makachut said:
:sad: Oh come on,I'm talking singletrack aka South Boundary/Taos,Secrets/Colo. border,Sargents in Chama.OK Sargents is short but it's singletrack.I'm seeking long epics with big climbs and descents.Dirt roads are ok when they take you to a trail otherwise :sleep: .One might as well drive to another state or to Mexico if there are only dirt roads and flats in the south.
Who's going to spill the beans and share some info?
There are other examples out there, but not worth the effort of posting them up.

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
i think that showing them is OK and if they don't like that and they go bonus ninja on you then don't help them at all..

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
lidarman said:

Or they have no business riding them because they don't have the skills. Then they get off and walk something tough, and widen said trail. Or blow corners. Or skid thourgh corners. Or stop and take out an obstacle.

The trails in Fruita are a perfect example. They're as wide as the stuff on the front range!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think people should share their trails. If it's a sensitive area, maybe just give a general description of where it is so only locals and serious riders will know what's up and put forth the effort to find it- don't give GPS co-ords or turn-by-turn instructions. But by all means share the trail.

If you don't want anybody to come to your secret trail, then really keep it secret- don't talk about it or post pictures of it! In Colorado I've lost track of how many times somebody went off about how great some trail was, and when asked where it is refused to tell anybody. I hate that so much, if it's a secret than shut up about it! It's pretty insulting to be told you aren't worthy/capable of riding somewhere.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Nope, would NEVER post a trail for the reasons already stated.

Norton, sack up Brother. Just like me, you don't deserve to know where each and every trail out there is. Find a local and be polite.

·
Registered
473 Posts
well sure I don't need to know where every last trail is! Especially if I'm a stranger there and haven't done any work. What I don't like is when people throw it in my face. " We ride this cool spot, best trail in the state! And you can't ride there, nyahh!" That sucks.

And I was talking more like regular public XC trails, not like crazy homemade built up pirate stuff on private land. I've had guys refuse to tell me where a local trail was cuz it's ''super secret'', and I go home and find it on a trail map I got at a bike store.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'll never tell.

Sure some trails are common knowledge, even pay-per-use parks, but most of the trails I ride have been shown to me by members of a local riding club. I tag along on their group rides. Many of these trails are on private property and the bike club has spent alot of energy getting access to this land, and treats it with great respect.

Its not my place to invite others to these trails. I'll refer enquiring minds to the more known areas.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm definatly in the show don't tell camp.

If you don't like to be taken to the goods by friendly people who offer to take you (or others) and show them the trails, then why are you asking said people for anything in the first place???? then whining to get them to just post a map, pictures, trail discription, and GPS routes?

you should shun all human contact if that's you view. and might explian why you don't get invited to be shown anymore.

·
fraid of heights
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brianc said:
I'm definatly in the show don't tell camp.

If you don't like to be taken to the goods by friendly people who offer to take you (or others) and show them the trails, then why are you asking said people for anything in the first place???? then whining to get them to just post a map, pictures, trail discription, and GPS routes?

you should shun all human contact if that's you view. and might explian why you don't get invited to be shown anymore.
Geeze, I guess I should have stayed in bed instead of getting up to check my e-mail. Ouch.

I went back and forth on answering you on this as starting an argument wasn't the point. I really just wanted to get a wider perspective on the matter since I saw a simillar discussion, (that I stayed out of), on our State specific forum recently.
But the whining comment was unnecissary, so...

Way back when, (I looked it up to be sure), I asked YOU specifcly about riding in Tucson, and another time riding in Cochiti, and you NEVER offered to show me anything nor even answered my posts nor PM'ed me. Though you did go on to post about the trails with other's who either had ridden with you or already knew where the rides were, etc.

I was very respectfull in asking you and did not whine about anything. At the time I had just "discovered" the state specific forums and had been asking anyone, anytime I saw a cool picture of someplace new in or around my area to go ride. But instead of getting offers to show me new trails I was mostly just ignored, ( on my state forums anyway ) or given short replies that did their best not to devulge any information.

That's cool. It's your choice, or anyone elses whether they want to pass on the info or not. Some do and some don't. And there's arguments for and against. And I'm sure you have offered lots of people to show them cool rides. But please don't act like people were jumping to show me new trails and I was refusing the offer yet demanding them to post GPS coordinates??? Cause that's just BS.

I think only one other person on the NM boards offered to show me a trail just to be cool? The only other time I know for sure was during the "different place" discussion, and IMO it was just someone trying to win an argument, and the offer wasn't made till after I already knew where to go. Nor was the offer made to any of the other people that had been asking about the trail before me.

Anyway, I did some FRO/FOO rides back when Otero was first closed. And if not you personally I have at least ridden with a couple of your riding buddies. And there's no way I could keep up with you guys 1 on 1 if you showed me a ride anyway!!! :)

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
gabrielle said:
And here I was, expecting another "lycra or baggies?" thread.
Dayum! Must be serious stuff when we get a great tongue-in-cheek comment like this and it goes over most posters heads..... :blush:

Thanks for the chuckle, gabrielle! :devil:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.