Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to plan a big loop around Somo.

Part will be going down Holbert from National. Ive ridden the first part between the tower road and the main road but not tried the rest of the trail.

How does the rest compare with National below the TV towers? Similar or more or less tech.

Thanks.

I will be riding a 29er rigid SS:D .

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Trying to plan a big loop around Somo.

Part will be going down Holbert from National.

I will be riding a 29er rigid SS:D .
Best of luck to you.

Not saying it can't be done. But I can't imagine it being a whole lot of fun...

Edited to add something helpful: Holbert is very technical. Lots of trailsy-type stuff, some good rock gardens (altho most say the entire trail is a rock garden). I think 24th Street has trickier moves, but Holbert will beat you and your bike up pretty good.

G

·
Hmmmm....

Best way to describe a riders first Holbert ride:

Top Section (From National to the road): Weeeeeeee! This is sweet!
Top Section (Once crossing the road): Little more serious, gets your attention, but still sweet!
From the first wash below Dobbins to the exposure: OMG, this isn't a trail!
Exposure section with Switchbacks: OMG I'm gonna die!
Last Section: OMG does this ever end? Am I bleeding? Is my bike broken?

Pretty much everytime a group rides it, someone ends up bleeding, and someone's bike gets broken. It took me 4-5 times down it to even realize that there is actually a line that is not only rideable, but pretty quick.

But yeah, good luck on a rigid, the description is based on my first ride down it on a Dh rig:D

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,350 Posts
KavuRider said:
Best of luck to you.

Not saying it can't be done. But I can't imagine it being a whole lot of fun...

Edited to add something helpful: Holbert is very technical. Lots of trailsy-type stuff, some good rock gardens (altho most say the entire trail is a rock garden). I think 24th Street has trickier moves, but Holbert will beat you and your bike up pretty good.
Holbert tally: 2 derailleurs, 5 or 6 rotors, and 1 cut brake line. I like Holbert much better than 24th Street. I feel it has a lot more flow. The section below dobbins lookout is like riding one long waterfall.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
Hmmmm....

Best way to describe a riders first Holbert ride:

Top Section (From National to the road): Weeeeeeee! This is sweet!
Top Section (Once crossing the road): Little more serious, gets your attention, but still sweet!
From the first wash below Dobbins to the exposure: OMG, this isn't a trail!
Exposure section with Switchbacks: OMG I'm gonna die!
Last Section: OMG does this ever end? Am I bleeding? Is my bike broken?

Pretty much everytime a group rides it, someone ends up bleeding, and someone's bike gets broken. It took me 4-5 times down it to even realize that there is actually a line that is not only rideable, but pretty quick.

But yeah, good luck on a rigid, the description is based on my first ride down it on a Dh rig:D
This made me LOL.

Its totally doable, but it will bite you if you're not prepared.
I'd wear some armor, but that's personal preference. I've done it without as well.

I totally want to hit it on my XC bike now...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
azdog said:
Holbert tally: 2 derailleurs, 5 or 6 rotors, and 1 cut brake line. I like Holbert much better than 24th Street. I feel it has a lot more flow. The section below dobbins lookout is like riding one long waterfall.
I love the drop into the "waterfall" section.

Yeah, once you know the lines on Holbert, you can definitely flow it more...especially if you can keep your speed up.

24th Street has a lot of "brake, line it up and then drop in" type lines.

G

·
KavuRider said:
This made me LOL.

Its totally doable, but it will bite you if you're not prepared.
I'd wear some armor, but that's personal preference. I've done it without as well.

I totally want to hit it on my XC bike now...
Figured you would get a kick out of that.

I was super stoked to have cleaned it last time without incident, and it was somewhat awesome to just watch the carnage unfold in front and behind with the other riders.

Oh yeah, i would probably recommend a full face helmet at minimum.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow.

Sounds like I might die!!

After doing the first bit between roads which was totally doable on my bike, I thought I might have a go at the rest.

Might try cautiously this weekend.

Thanks for the warnings!!

Big loop will be East Loop, Javelina, Mormon, National, Holbert, Ranger, Bajada, Off trail to Ruins at far west of mountain and on jeep road to horse trail up switchbacks to drop down to wash past "the ruins" trail to road and up road to Telegraph parking and back to start on Classic. As close as I can get to complete loop of the mountain!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Wow.

After doing the first bit between roads which was totally doable on my bike, I thought I might have a go at the rest.
Sounds like an awesome loop.

The section between the roads is nowhere near anything else on the trail. That's the smooth part, once you cross the road and start actually descending past Dobbins, it gets pretty hairy.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
KavuRider said:
I love the drop into the "waterfall" section.

Yeah, once you know the lines on Holbert, you can definitely flow it more...especially if you can keep your speed up.

24th Street has a lot of "brake, line it up and then drop in" type lines.
Well just my 2 cents.

Holbert is definitly fast and lot more fun then even geronimo at the top but the bottom half will tell you just how well of a technical rider you are!!! :madman:

I choose 24th street anytime of the day over holbert. It's alot more fast through the tech stuff and the lines are more obvious then holbert, granted they are still tough to find or even ride, but 24th just flows from top to bottom and the only thing that really gets me is the pedal up to that resting spot. Well my resting spot cause I like to try to pedal as fast as I can through that flat part right before it. :thumbsup:

·
I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
874 Posts
yep I agree with everyone that posted here. I love holbert. very off camber and tech. have fun

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Wow.

Big loop will be East Loop, Javelina, Mormon, National, Holbert, Ranger, Bajada, Off trail to Ruins at far west of mountain and on jeep road to horse trail up switchbacks to drop down to wash past "the ruins" trail to road and up road to Telegraph parking and back to start on Classic. As close as I can get to complete loop of the mountain!
Sounds like a fun loop - want company? You can always walk anything on Holbert that gives you the willies. I've been wanting to do Bajada in the east to west direction (the slightly DH direction). I've only doing it in a loop with Alta which means going west to east. And I'd love to check out this new stuff around the back SW side of the mtn that Kort has found!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DurtGurl said:
Sounds like a fun loop - want company? You can always walk anything on Holbert that gives you the willies. I've been wanting to do Bajada in the east to west direction (the slightly DH direction). I've only doing it in a loop with Alta which means going west to east. And I'd love to check out this new stuff around the back SW side of the mtn that Kort has found!
Sure. I will post when I go. Either this or next weekend for sure.Probably this Saturday if I dont have to work. I go slow enough on the rigid that I can bail when stuff looks a little dicey!!

I went the opposite way on Saturday. Found the trail past the ruins and made my way around to National. Bajada was really tough going the way you usually go on singlespeed. I got stuck on some of little drops and then was never able to get clipped back in time to get up the next incline. But should be easier going west with the slight descent. After that its pretty easy other than a climb on the horse trail out of this canyon, but the drop down the other way will be worth the effort.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
After that its pretty easy other than a climb on the horse trail out of this canyon, but the drop down the other way will be worth the effort.
Do you ascend all the way to National and then catch that wickedly steep trail to the ruins? Or did I mis-read your original route? Whatever way you go, I'm game to try it out. Let's get Kort out there too... and Kavurider on his XC bike!

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
I rode holbert for the first time this weekend and got 2 runs in on it. IMHO its really not as bad as others have made it out to be in the past.So I have always stayed away besides I never had the chance to ride it with others. There was only 2 spots that I didn't clear on my first 2 runs .

On a 29er it will be a different story but on my 6.7" travel bike it was fun.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
clockwork said:
I rode holbert for the first time this weekend and got 2 runs in on it. IMHO its really not as bad as others have made it out to be in the past.So I have always stayed away besides I never had the chance to ride it with others. There was only 2 spots that I didn't clear on my first 2 runs .

On a 29er it will be a different story but on my 6.7" travel bike it was fun.
In my experience 29er wheels can roll just about anything that SoMo trails can dish out :D But shhhhhh... don't tell anyone. That's why I'm now such a "better" rider. Is it the rider or is it the bike?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
when you say "ruins" you mean the old hotel that is "south" of telegraph on the Awatukee side of SoMo? Or is there another "ruins" at the southern tip of SoMo that I'm not aware of?

I'm also confused by what you call Jeep trail and Horse trail to switchbacks, but thats part of what make exploring great. The thrill of finding something "new" to you.

b

·
Registered
328 Posts
BritMtnBiker said:
Wow.

If you want to make it realy hardcore, do Alta instead of Bajada!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brianc said:
when you say "ruins" you mean the old hotel that is "south" of telegraph on the Awatukee side of SoMo? Or is there another "ruins" at the southern tip of SoMo that I'm not aware of?

I'm also confused by what you call Jeep trail and Horse trail to switchbacks, but thats part of what make exploring great. The thrill of finding something "new" to you.

b
Was that a hotel? Wow there was an article in the Ahwatukee paper the other day and the reporter could not find any info about it other than it was used during prohibition! Yes if you go west from the road that drops down the hill from the Telegraph trail parking lot and the trail goes out about 3 miles and end in a slot canyon where the ruins are. If you stay in the last wash and follow it ends in another canyon directly west you take a horse trail up some switchbacks and once at the top you have view of the far southern end of Somo and the little village there. The horse trail drops down and after about a mile it becomes a two track/jeep trail and after another mile ends at ruins of 3 seperate buliding with a bunch of junk piled up. I went off trail and headed north and ended up connecting with the low section of National right before San Juan road and Bajada trail head. Planning on doing it in reverse this weekend!

Pic of hotel and new ruins.

Brit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.