Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!!!

Excited to see a forum forum that still exists. Used to be avid on bustedspoke (new England) and one other which was out of cali (name escapes me) - please remind!

I come here shamelessly seeking help and advice after re-entering cycling after a 4 year hiatus living in Nyc. I rode the five boro last weekend, blooming metric coming up, and more importantly, pan mass challenge in August.

I was the expert DH national champion in 2010 at age 19.

anyways; reason I post, while I digress, I purchased a stealth hitch for my Mercedes C class amg. I installed a 2” Kuat Sherpa 2.0 rack. When I put two bikes on it, My 2019 Pivot Mach 5.5(pro build) and my 2010 Morewood Shova (nostalgia build) the rack seems to sway and bounce quite a bit. Definitely when driving slow on bumpy roads, as well as highway. I have been driving 60mph on highway just to prevent a nuclear carbon explosion. Any help or commentary? I don’t remember racks moving or flexing or bouncing this much.

for those that help, I will send stickers, for those that don’t, I promise to add value to this site soon!

Best,

JR

edit: the other forum was ridemonkey!!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
With the hitch cam, I assume the rack is solid in the receiver, so do you think the hitch itself is flexing? How is it mounted to the car?

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Most hitch mounted racks have some play in the tray area, not in the hitch interface. My cheap rack moves all over with or without bikes mounted and has worked fine for several years and has a ton of highway miles. For longer/faster drives I just secure the bike to the rack a bit more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.