Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I floated from Dexter Dam on the Middle Fork of the Willamette river to the Glenwood bridge about 18 miles. It was raining the first 10 miles but with hot water bags between my legs and a recycled foam blanket tucked over my legs I was toastie. I wore a combo of bike clothes and a wet suit.

I stopped halfway down and set up a quickie shelter tied up with a bike tube. I brought dry cut up pallet wood and my latest hobo stove packed in two recycled dog food bags. I was able to start a fire with a fire steel and cotton balls with vaseline on the first stike.

The stove was bolted together with old v-brake pads and spreader bars made from skewers and axles. The fire grate inside the stove is a big steel spoke protector off an old schwinn. It creates it's own draft an quickly boils water to reheat my two platypus hot water bags. Best of all it makes nachos in 30 seconds. Great with a quality beer, no ice needed it was about 40 degrees yesterday, so was the river.

I'm pleased that all my mtn bike gear can be worn on the river. I carry extra clothes in my dry bag. All my stuff is tied down with old inner tubes. There are endless things to use old inner tubes for. I love using old bike parts and recycling junk to make great camping gear.

Let it rain, I love all this water as long as I can stay warm and dry. I love living in the North Wet. The biking is awsome and so are all the big rivers. I live a lot closer to the river than the trails. The river has become my new trail, that was my 63rd float this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Looks like a fun! Glad to see you're out there on the river still. Once I am all finished up with school (should be Wednesday of next week), I'd like to go on a float or two, or three, or four with you again.

PS: How did your nachos taste? Great idea, I'll have to get it a try.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
umarth said:
Great post. I only take issue with the High Life. And only sorta.
The High Life folks(Miller)had one of the best ad campaigns ever.The guy watchin' his neighbor attempting to park a trailer was just plain funny."Nuthin' brings up the lunch of a High Life Man like another man that can't handle his own rig".I have to support the High Life...technically the first beer I ever tasted.I can't say that it is in the fridge though.

Cheers!:D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better than meat sacks

MrBaker said:
Looks like a fun! Glad to see you're out there on the river still. Once I am all finished up with school (should be Wednesday of next week), I'd like to go on a float or two, or three, or four with you again.

PS: How did your nachos taste? Great idea, I'll have to get it a try.

I love nachos so I'm pretty excited. They tasted great and they stay warm until you inhale them. I just layed the pan close to the stove and the radiant heat kept them hot.

I'm done with meat sacks on the river. It's nachos from now on. Now I have discovered the built in broiler. I might branch out and see what else I can broil. It sure is fast and easy.

Glad you want to float again, I always enjoy your company. I'm doing it again every sunday rain or shine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I enjoy cheap things

umarth said:
Great post. I only take issue with the High Life. And only sorta.
I like all beer, especially cheap ones. I love tall boys with lovely ladies on them.

Ya don't want to get too wasted on the wet *****, she'll smack ya hard. I try to remember to be super careful on the river, but have a lot of fun too.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Very cool

If the end of the world occurs and we all devolve into cave man status, I am quit sure I will be looking for your 'on the cheap' survival skills. Where is the bike?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts