Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '02 Dirt Jumper 1 I'm currently running on my AM full squish just isn't working out for me. So, I'm looking for a replacement, and I need some guidance. The bike is a KHS FR 2000, a 6" travel four bar. I'm running a Swinger 4 Way Air on the rear. Things I want out of the fork:
1. Roughly 6" of travel
2. A 20mm through axle
3. Air spring preferred, though I'm not ruling out a coil just yet
4. Adjustable travel would be a big plus, though not strictly nessicary
5. Single crown

I ride AM, lots of rocky, rooty, technical singletrack, plently of climbing as well as descending, a good smattering of drops and such, and the occasional trip to a ski resort for a little DH fun. It's also worth noting that I weigh 130#.

I'm currently considering:
1. '06 66 SL
2. '07 66 SL ATA
3. '06 Z.1 SL
4. '07 AM 1 SL ATA
5. '06 Nixon Elite (outside shot)
6. '06 Travis Single
7. '06 Pike 454 U-Turn Air
8. '07 Domain 318 U-Turn
9. '07 36 Talas
10. '07 36 Float

What would you chose for me, and why? Any other suggestions? I don't think my list is long enough yet. :rolleyes: :lol: :D Comments?

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I Noticed that you did not include the Rockshox Lyrik. I am looking at this one myself It sounds like a good contender. This is the 2 step.

Travel 115-160mm
Travel Adjust 2-Step
Target Weight* 2490 g (5.49 lbs)
Spring Solo Air
Spring Adjust Air Pressure Via Single Schrader Air Valve
Damping Mission Control
Damping Adjust External Low Speed Compression, High Speed Compression, Rebound and Floodgate Switch, Internal Floodgate
Lowers Magnesium, Post Disc Mount and 20mm only
Crown Forged, Hollow AL 6066 TV, Anodized
Steerer Tube Butted Aluminum
Upper Tubes 35mm 7000 Series Aluminum with Travel Gradients
Standard Colors Black, Diffusion Black, Diffusion Silver

* Weight based on 265mm with Maxle 360

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
Yea I just saw the price! So that is now crossed off my list.

Unless I get rid of the kidney that I don't like.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I didn't really look at the 66 but I more going toward the 36 since the Pike is only 140mm.
If I went the 36 route then I was advised to stay away from the Talas but the '07 fixed some of the problems the '06 had. I don't know what the problems were exactly but quite a few people didn't like the talas.

Now I think I might go back and review the Zocchi's. So i might just spend more time between the Fox 36 line and the Marzocchi 66 line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i am runing a 06 z1 light on mines, its a 6 inch travel slightly under 5 pounds. the FR SL is a bit lighter being on air. both have adustble travel, even though only about an inch, but high tuneble. i would also suggest looking at an 05 sherman flick plus, they are extremely cheap now, and also adjustble from 110-150 i believe. plus the z1 light looks banging hot in white and red.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
I run a Marzocchi 66 RC2X on my 6.6 and it's great. I guess it's a little heavier than some models on your list, but if I want to take it DH/FR I think I'm covered with 170mm of travel.
My second choice was the Fox 36.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a little worried about the axle to crown of the 66. My current fork is 505mm, and the '06 66 SL is somthing like 535-555 depending where it is in the travel. Might be a little much for climbing. Thoughts? And how about the '06 vs '07 66SLs?

·
noMAD man
12,171 Posts
66SL price drop

Hardtails Are Better said:
Yeah, the Pike is a little short. I'm leaning towards the '07 Marzocchis, either the 66 or the AM SLs. Probably the 66.

Anyone else?
I just got an '06 66SL, as I noticed the fairly large price drop at QBP. I have a Fox Van 36 and love it. My '03 Bullit and the Nomad will have to fight over which one gets which fork.:D

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
I don't have anything else. I'm just bored and thought I'd say hello.

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I thought there would be more discussion in here.

Anyways.........If you consider the price of a 36rc2 then the Lyrik isn't too bad. It's only 100-150 more. The selling point for me would be fork rep and reviews from serious people who can tell the difference from a poorly adjusted fork and correctly adjusted fork. Right now the 36 is out in front. I don't know if I can fully trust RS even though the Boxxer line has apparently improved by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I like my 66sl, it;s awesome.
The AM1 is a real noodle in comparison, I weigh 170.
I also had an air sprung pike that was only ok. It wasn't plush.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
1. '06 66 SL
2. '07 66 SL ATA
3. '06 Z.1 SL
4. '07 AM 1 SL ATA
5. '06 Nixon Elite (outside shot)
6. '06 Travis Single
7. '06 Pike 454 U-Turn Air
8. '07 Domain 318 U-Turn
9. '07 36 Talas
10. '07 36 Float

What would you chose for me, and why? Any other suggestions? I don't think my list is long enough yet. :rolleyes: :lol: :D Comments?
I'm pretty much in the same boat and I'm considering which fork to buy for a Nomad.
It's much simpler for me as I only buy Marzocchi :thumbsup:
I waited until the 07 forks were out to check what was new. I didn't see anything earth shattering, or at least worth the extra dough, so I will go for the 06 models.
The only exception is the All Mountain that now features a 20mm axle. But for the same money (or less) you can get the Z1 or 66 '06, so maybe not worth it, except for the weight.

Now you are much lighter than I am (errr.. around 80 lb lighter :eekster: ) so option #4 may be a good one for you.
In my case are pretty much set for 66 (don't know which one yet) or Z.1.
It boils down to price. If it's not an issue go for #2 (may be a little too heavy) or #4. If you want to save some, then #1 and #3 are good choices.

Have fun and keep us posted on what you pick.
ZT

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
i saw the price of the lyrik and almost shat through my eye sockets. i mean for 50 bucks more you have manitou's top of the line DH fork. '06 zoke 66's look good...and maybe the '06 manitou travis single at the expense of another pound...i would go w/ a 66 or a 36.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I'm now down between the '06 66SL and the '06 Z.1 SL. Whada y'all think? I'm leaning towards the 66 for the little extra travel, but am still undecided.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts