Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
An XT mech on a Hope Pro 2 hub is OK Velobike :thumbsup:

I hear/see nothing but bad news with Shimano hubs, every hub problem i have seen on other peoples bikes are always shimano hubs, the fact they are open bearings,however well sealed they say is backward for offroad hubs,
first thing to get swapped out on my ML when it arrives is the Shimano hub,
be free to a good home!

Shimano hub rant over! :p

8 speed Alfine hubs will rule once they give them a lot lower 1st and 2nd gears and with an overdrive 8th gear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
An XT mech on a Hope Pro 2 hub is OK Velobike...

8 speed Alfine hubs will rule once they give them a lot lower 1st and 2nd gears and with an overdrive 8th gear...
My usual line when I'm boring the local lads is "...the XT and XTR are beautiful pieces of precision engineering. Why destroy them by dragging them through mud, rocks, and heather? Put them on your desk as a paperweight so you can enjoy them for longer..."

Then follows my singlespeed or hubgear monologue while the lads disappear into the distance... :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't know what you guys have been doing to your hubs, but we're running modified XT (model FH-M756) hubs for more then a year now on more than a dozen test fatbikes and have had zilch problems... no freehub to change, no bearings to adjust or grease, no nothing.

And it's not that we spared them... they've ran on fatbikes succesfully competing in the BCBR, in the Ironbike, the Megavalanche, the Roc d'Azur, crossed numerous glacier rivers during in total 3 weeks in Iceland... without ever opening one up.

I suspect it might be sloppy assembling and not enough grease from the factory out. During the mod (from 135mm to 165mm width) they're completely disassembled and put together again with enough grease and just the right amount of bearing tension.

For me (I run mtb holiday tours for a living, for the last 18 years), Shimano hubs in general are the most bombproof hubs around. We never, ever had to put a bike permanently in a trailer because of a catastrophic hub failure or unavailability of parts (apart from occasionally freehubs being not in stock - that's why participants have to bring a spare freehub along, no matter which brand).
And I can fill a few pages about bearings, spoke flanges, freehubs and other parts desintegrating on other brands :mad:.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
I prefer open bearings in a hub over cartridge for saltwater beach riding. They are still sealed, they can use bigger bearings, they are easier and cheaper to repack/rebuild. And in corrosive environments, ther is no seal good enough anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.