Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys with the HL and TNT rear ends tested braking distance on a long set of stairs?

It's a very consistent and bumpy surface.

Just a though - I know it doesn't really matter either way :) .

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Steve71 said:
Have any of you guys with the HL and TNT rear ends tested braking distance on a long set of stairs?

It's a very consistent and bumpy surface.

Just a though - I know it doesn't really matter either way :) .
I think that Squeak did that when he was testing the TNT vs HL packs. Check the sticky with all the reviews.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just checked Squeak’s review and the stairs he tested were on a trail. They were made of dirt and wood, plus there were no quantitative results. Note, I'm not hacking on Squeak's review at all - it's just not what I had in mind.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a large set of concrete stairs that you rode down in a straight line get up to terminal velocity (stairs slow you down) then start braking when you cross a chalk mark on the stair. Mark where you stop. Repeat it 10+ times or so with each triangle. It would be even better if you could get 3 or 4 riders to perform this 10 times each.

It'd be a bit of work for sure, and in the end all you prove is which bike is better at stopping on stairs/moab trails. :D Still it would give some great insight IMHO.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Steve71 said:
It'd be a bit of work for sure, and in the end all you prove is which bike is better at stopping on stairs/moab trails. :D Still it would give some great insight IMHO.
I don't know about Moab, but it sure would let you know which bike is better at stopping on stairs........ and we all know how important that is :eek:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
id agree. dont wanna but gotta. now the trick is acctually stopping on stairs without killin ones self. i see 10 ambulance rides in our future with this test. no offence meant steve.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Don't gotta and don't wanna :) . Sorry Steve, but we NEED to be done with the minutia tests. Plus all the car wreck guys would be chiming in with more broken slide-rule calcs that would make the grumpy grumpier...

No one on any other forum beats things to death like the homers - I guess it is entertaining but homers will eventually be classified with a more undignified alias such as calc-weenies or can't-ride-can-only-calculate weenies - now, who would want that?

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well the TNT is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. We've had some great and extensive on trail tests and there seems to be agreement that there is very, very little to no difference.

Superstock even did some on trail braking tests. Of course this the most important test of all, as this is where we're using the bike.

I'm NOT trying to find holes in anyone’s testing or arguments. But we have a lot of theory to support that the HL should remain more active over bumps. A concrete stair case would be an ideal testing ground to see how much of a difference exists under the most extreme conditions.

I know the results aren’t going to change how it feels on the trails - like I said it is what it is. But I'm interested in the results none the less - I'm an engineer (that why mine English is so bad) and there is a more than a touch of geek in me :D .

As for the experiment being dangerous, I don't think so. Use flat pedals and body armor just in case. And just to be clear you would be using the rear brake only. Oh, and this is a job for the 6 pack....

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
alright steve. perhaps ya have a point. id suggest you ask jesus for 2 packs, 1 new, 1 old for back to back comparo-rama. hes apperently pretty good with makin stuff happen for folks, hes built yers already and i hear hes pretty tight with dt so thats a plus.

now before anyone gets offended, im just bein silly so its best to disreguard this whole thing. wheres that delete button?

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cactuscorn said:
alright steve. perhaps ya have a point. id suggest you ask jesus for 2 packs, 1 new, 1 old for back to back comparo-rama. hes apperently pretty good with makin stuff happen for folks, hes built yers already and i hear hes pretty tight with dt so thats a plus.

now before anyone gets offended, im just bein silly so its best to disreguard this whole thing. wheres that delete button?
Hahaha....

Jesus told me it was going to Reign for 40 days and 40 nights........ :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts