Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A little bit of storry before I'll ask.

Last two years I was riding home brew 69era HT bike. On-One Inbred frame, Minute 100mm 29er forks.

Right before Christmas I finished great clear out, sold all the HT bits and pieces and completed first FS build up based on 2005 HL Spot and Manitou Nixon 145 forks.

Because of family and proffesional obligations didn't have an opportunity to test ride bike - hopefully will do something with it next weekend.

Because of a habbit of big wheel up front I'm a little bit nervous about first ride back on 26er. And I'm considering to buy back Fox F29 120mm from friend of mine as an opption.
Intended use of the bike is something between AM and enduro (in continental Europe meaning) riding style. I'm around 64kg - that would be 141lb in old money.

I did a little bit of math and found out:

Nixon a2c is 518mm, plus 26" wheel would be 848mm.
Fox a2c is 520mm, plus 29" wheel would be 888mm.

The question is if this extra 40mm isn't going to wreck my Spot head tube?

Appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers!
I.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
40mm plus the trail geometry change = Mac truck steering. I run a 650b @ a lower a-c than spec'd and the trail numbers still slow the steering. If you want a bigger wheel try a 650b w/o killing the steering.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
keen said:
40mm plus the trail geometry change = Mac truck steering. I run a 650b @ a lower a-c than spec'd and the trail numbers still slow the steering. If you want a bigger wheel try a 650b w/o killing the steering.
What fork and travel are you running with the 650b? 650b front and back or just front?

I've got a U Turn Pike on my 2007 Spot and I'm considering putting a 650b up front. Figure I can dial the travel down as needed to accomodate the larger diameter wheel.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
crashtoomuch said:
What fork and travel are you running with the 650b? 650b front and back or just front?

I've got a U Turn Pike on my 2007 Spot and I'm considering putting a 650b up front. Figure I can dial the travel down as needed to accomodate the larger diameter wheel.
Pike U turn, 08' RFX. I ran the 650b as a front only and thought the steering felt a tad lazy. Went 650b front and rear.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

I'm not concerened about steering, and BB height. I already had an experience with "ruined geometry" bike so for me it would be only matter of another adaptation.

My concern is if head tube can stand this 40mm up without giving out...

Cheers!
I.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Consider

Running 650Bs front and rear. The HL 5 spot SS/CS and all fox forks will will clear a 650B. Just a note though, Fox doesnt support using a 650B wheel in a fox fork intended for a 26" wheel.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
IvanMTB said:
Hi All,

I'm not concerened about steering, and BB height. I already had an experience with "ruined geometry" bike so for me it would be only matter of another adaptation.

My concern is if head tube can stand this 40mm up without giving out...

Cheers!
I.
So why run a 29er if you ruin the geometry :skep:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL...

As you probably realized I posted "ruined geometry". I was perfectl happy with geometry and handling and I'm quite used to spec of such invention like home brew 69-er.

I'm just not 100 per cent sure if I'll be happy with small wheel up front. Therefore I'm considering big front wheel option.

Cheers!
I.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Im running

IvanMTB said:
Hi,

The problem with 650b wheels is very poor selection of tires. 29" is much batter.

Thanks a lot for your input Hangtime!!!

Regards
Seb
Its not so much the tire selection as it is the limited RIM selection. The 650B 2.25 Nev is a nice front tire. Im using a schwable 2.25 RR in back for now but the new 2.2 WTB Wolverine looks like a good rear tire.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

It is still not enough for me. With 26" I'm using WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Race up front and WTB Timberwolf 2.5 Race at rear. So tires 2.25" are not good for me. I'm aiming into something more like Ardent 29er 2.4. Therefore I'm saying "thank you" to 650b. Untill there would be wider selection of fat, agresive thread rubbers.

Cheers!
I.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
try it first. i was all 29er for years then got a HL spot with a vanilla 130. thought i would hate it. i was wrong! make sure you run a nice big fat front tire like a 2.35 or bigger.

i was tempted by the 650b or 69er thing. but why ruin something fun (unless it has VD)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.