Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy my first real moutain bike and I'm pretty clueless.
Looking at the following:
'04 Trek 8000 (can get it for $850)
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)
Gary FIsher HKEK ($779 if in stock, waiting to hear)

Of course the 8000 strikes me as the best deal, buy Gary FIsher riders say the frame makes all the difference. I'm planning on both light and heavy trail riding and some dirt trail distance riding. Any suggestions?
THanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
jpkelly77 said:
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)

Of course the 8000 strikes me as the best deal, buy Gary FIsher riders say the frame makes all the difference. I'm planning on both light and heavy trail riding and some dirt trail distance riding. Any suggestions?
THanks a lot!
I think the frames are the same with the exception of the Fisher geo vs the Trek.
I liked the 8000 pretty well. I ended up with a Big Sur.
Buy the one that feels the best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jpkelly77 said:
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)

THanks a lot!
Of course, you really need to try them out before you can make any real decision..

Personally I'd go with the Fisher bike, if possible - possibly even wait until the '05s come out. The geometry is great, but it's a really personal choice. When people like the geometry of a Fisher bike they usually really LOVE it... but it's not right for everyone.

If the Trek 6700 has the ZR9000 frame material (the 2004 doesn't) like the 8000 does and the geometry feels good to you, then it's in the running, but if not then in my book it's not a good choice. The cheaper all-aluminum materials are heavier than the ZR9000 is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FacundoBacardi said:
6700 2005 is just slr :( go for the 8000 2004 its a really great bike
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 6700 is a great bike! I just prefer the lighter material. Weird how the 8000 is the starting level for Trek's use of the ZR9000 material in MTB's. 'Course, doesn't look like Fisher will have a mid-range ZR9000 bike anymore without the HKEK, either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jpkelly77 said:
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)

THanks a lot!
I have a 04 HKEK with only 12 miles on it for sale if you want it? Size 17.5

·
Registered
43 Posts
basically restating what everyone else is saying. It all comes down to which one you like best. personally I love genesis geometry. but ride it, see how you feel. the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 Trek 6700

Hopefully these photos will help make your decision a little easier...This is my new '05 6700 Disc..17.5"...Disc Brakes, it's the only other thing you should consider...stopping is important...And that Blue is so SWEET!!!! Good luck chosing... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.