Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy my first real moutain bike and I'm pretty clueless.
Looking at the following:
'04 Trek 8000 (can get it for $850)
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)
Gary FIsher HKEK ($779 if in stock, waiting to hear)

Of course the 8000 strikes me as the best deal, buy Gary FIsher riders say the frame makes all the difference. I'm planning on both light and heavy trail riding and some dirt trail distance riding. Any suggestions?
THanks a lot

·
255 Posts
The 8000 is probably the best deal in terms of a complete package for your money. But buy the bike that fits you best. I just helped my girlfriend and a riding friend buy new bikes. My GF loved the Fisher geometry and ended up with a Big Sur Disc. My riding buddy didn't feel right on a Fisher and settled on a Trek that fit him better. Bottom line is that you should test ride both, and working with the shop staff, get the one that you feel works best for you.

That said, you can't go wrong. Both the Trek and GF frames are built from the same blend of aluminum. The Trek's specifications make it a very neutral handling bike. The Fisher is perhaps more aggressive because of its long top tube (stretched out position) and short chainstays (theoretically climbs better because you weight is over the rear wheel).

Good luck.

jpkelly77 said:
About to buy my first real moutain bike and I'm pretty clueless.
Looking at the following:
'04 Trek 8000 (can get it for $850)
'05 Trek 6700 ($850)
Gary FIsher HKEK ($779 if in stock, waiting to hear)

Of course the 8000 strikes me as the best deal, buy Gary FIsher riders say the frame makes all the difference. I'm planning on both light and heavy trail riding and some dirt trail distance riding. Any suggestions?
THanks a lot

·
Registered
50 Posts
A few years ago I was torn between the 6700 and the Hoo Koo. They have similar components and the geometry seemed about the same. I bought the 6700 and the shop closer to my house, where I'd bought another bike. However, the 8000 has better components, and if I'd had the extra money, I'd have gone for that. That's probably your best option, if the bike fits and you like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a HooKoo and, for the most part, I love it so far. Only gripes are the stock seat (Ithys Titec Amore), the less than stellar Shimano 505 pedals and the Rock Shox Pilot SL fork does leave a little to be desired. The first two were easily changed, as for the fork, well it performs pretty well on the smoother terrain but takes quite a bit of air pressure for more agressive riding. In spite of that, I chose the Fisher because the I prefer a more agressive riding position and I felt very comfortable with the geometry.

I suggest you do the same, go with what fits you best and what you feel most comfortable on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts