Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if *cough* someone was looking at a potentially medium- to long-term "visit" in the St. Louis vicinity, who would be the riding groups and what kind of dirt could one expect to find?

Background: One Bear nurtured heavily on semi-technical rock and cactus infested trails of Central Texas and other points Southwesterly is looking down the barrell of planting his tires in the above stated region for a while. We moved to Austin for my job, our next move is more strongly determined by her job potential, which is shaping up to - very possibly but not confirmed yet - be a faculty position at WUSTL.

I've got all kinds of things to figure out, areas to look at for potential residence and what tech-worker possibilities there are for me, but that's for a different discussion. If someone wants to PM me any related info they're welcome to, but I'd just as soon keep this thread on the dirty wheeled side of things.

So far I've found GORC and STLBIKING and am trying to dig into them (along with the trail reviews here), but MTBR has been a great resource for many things and i'm looking to exploit that yet again.

Thanks in advance.

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
Well, there are a number of "groups," although it's hard to find any kind of a weekly or even regular organized trail ride. I guess I should plug my team, Team Seagal (see my signature for web address) and we are trying to establish a monthly "Non-Race"/group rides at a variety of the local trails. Totally friendly, no-drop atmosphere with a few competitive aspects to make it interesting. Non-Race #3 had nearly 25 people show up to it! Our whole thing is to get people to get out, not take themselves too seriously, enjoy riding, and enjoy the social aspect of it as well.

Oh yeah, and we race our singlespeeds pretty well locally, too.

Wash U has a cycling club, although from what I understand they are mostly road oriented. Oddly enough though, the president of their club is the lone mountain biker, and he's been competing in a number of races around here. Perhaps if you find yourself immersed in Wash U culture, you might look them up?

When might you be coming 'round these parts?

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, i'm not against racing at all, but it's not my 1st priority (although I am on a team, frighteningly enough, specializing if you will on marathon races. If it's 6 hours plus it's going to grab my attention. I do the "sprint" races now and then too just for kicks, and to support the team and shop, but i'm not really a go-fast guy in that fashion.

Lots of singlespeeders around Texas too. The TX MTB racing organization supports a dedicated singlespeed class at all the XC races.

When is an irritating question, really. Of things Go Forward with it, the Mrs will be out to start by end of August; with me wrapping things up in Austin and moving out later in the fall - earliest possibility being Oct sometime but possibly as late as Dec or Jan. Too many variables right now to figure it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.