Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kc929 said:
Dion,

Nice bike. Looks like your all ready for the Surf City @ Aptos on Sunday.

Kjeld
Yeah right! Hey Kjeld... are you racing on the 17th at Fort Ord? I'm gonna be ringing the cowbell and drinking warm coffee watching the sufferfest.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
senna said:
Looks good. You take that on RR?
It would be a lot of fun on Ohlone. :thumbsup:
The rocks will kill me on that bike, even Stiles is a bit too much IMO. It's more of a singletrack and fire-road trails bike; I'll hit Ohlone on it tommorrow. It climbs muchbetter than my 29'er.

I'm sure you can imagine how painful the horse-torn trail was going from Harry to the Fortini entrance. I swear you need a kidney belt for that area, now.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Dion said:
The rocks will kill me on that bike, even Stiles is a bit too much IMO. It's more of a singletrack and fire-road trails bike; I'll hit Ohlone on it tommorrow. It climbs muchbetter than my 29'er.

I'm sure you can imagine how painful the horse-torn trail was going from Harry to the Fortini entrance. I swear you need a kidney belt for that area, now.
heh....on the choppy harry to fortini route stand when ya pedal...ya goof :p

yes, descending Stiles gets old.....but is a fun climb from the fortini side...

note - i run 44's on my rig at STP...takes the edge off ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I used to train for CX in the park. I was able to climb and descend most everything in a 39x27, although it weren't purdy pardner. I would usually get carried away on RR and Stiles descents and pop a tire.

Ohlone is a total blast in both directions.

Oh yeah...more cowbell. I gots a feva and the only cure is more cowbell.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CHUM said:
heh....on the choppy harry to fortini route stand when ya pedal...ya goof :p

yes, descending Stiles gets old.....but is a fun climb from the fortini side...

note - i run 44's on my rig at STP...takes the edge off ;)
Ugh. Even when I stand I swear I'm going to crack my frame or get a pinch flat.

Went today and took Ohlone - FUN! I just goofed off and rode all over, still didn't do the rocks on this bike and dont think I will - I have three other MTB's, all tubeless, that I can ride rocks to my heart's content... so why risk the skinnies?

I re-geared it to 38/19 (from 38/22). I was able to do all the fire roads (except Coyote which is even a chore for my 32/22 SS 29er :yawn:). There are 2 or 3 spots I'd have to hike, but the rest wouldn't be that bad. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go. Just don't ride by me laughing while you guys are spinny-spin-spin.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
senna said:
Dion, were you ridding around 4:00 today?
I thought I seen those gold wheels heading down mine trail from styles and then heading up to the picnic area.
Yezz-eer! I rode a big circle, then rode it again and down Ohlone then took the streets home.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
yeah, i was with senna. thought i saw a gold-wheeled "road" bike. soon as we came up the bend, you were nowhere in sight. you're smoking up the hills on that. and no gears too.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
myitch said:
yeah, i was with senna. thought i saw a gold-wheeled "road" bike. soon as we came up the bend, you were nowhere in sight. you're smoking up the hills on that. and no gears too.
Heh heh... THANKS!! That's a great compliment, my friend! :)

I know about the "gold wheeled road bike" thing, I've only seen 1 cyclocross bike in STP ever since I started riding there but most people's heads explode when they see me ride by on that thing - I feel it's like a jackalope sighting. I get a lot of these looks: :confused:. Especially riding on the little singletracks on my way home along the creek trail.

It's a much different feel than a MTB and it's like you pedal and you just MOVE forward. I'm really digging it. Like I said, I didn't really believe my brother when he was telling me all this, and I even tried his bike (which I gladly gave back after riding about 30 feet) and it scared the hell out of me.

I just ordered a custom headset top cap that reads "One Burrito Con Asada, No Beans Please". I don't know why I chose that but it's what I order at any Mexican food place. :p Maybe if carry my bike in and just show them that, it will cut down on the confusion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.