·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Donner Lake Rim Trail?

zorg said:
Why don't you hit the DLRT instead?
Hi zorg,

If "DLRT" means Donner Lake Rim Trail I'd appreciate getting the following:

• Directions on how to access? I've been to their website and they give a description of access points but I couldn't find a way to discover what the portion of the trail you were accessing looked like:
http://www.tdlandtrust.org/donnerlake.html
• Description of how much of it is single track vs. double track or dirt road?
• Is it an out and back or is there any sort of loop that can be completed?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
I only rode it once, so I'm hardly an expert. You can check out those threads:
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=330836&highlight=dlrt
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=344332&highlight=dlrt
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=326237&highlight=donner+lake+rim+trail

There are 3 access points that I know of (there might be more):
- Tahoe Donner. I haven't tried it but Trailseeker did. You can ping him for more details.
- off of I80, donner lake exit. Park on north side of 80, and pedal up the fireroad.
- near Boreal: I don't know how to get there from Boreal, since we did the HITG backward and ended our HITG ride by taking the DLRT. However, I believe that it's fairly easy to find.

One way to ride it (see Bigtrees ride) is to park a car off of 80 at the bottom, and drive back up to Boreal to basically shuttle the DLRT. It's mostly down with some ups along the way. i'm guessing that it's 80% single track, some of which is downright awesome. Enjoy.

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
zorg said:
I only rode it once, so I'm hardly an expert. You can check out those threads:
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=330836&highlight=dlrt
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=344332&highlight=dlrt
- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=326237&highlight=donner+lake+rim+trail

There are 3 access points that I know of (there might be more):
- Tahoe Donner. I haven't tried it but Trailseeker did. You can ping him for more details.
- off of I80, donner lake exit. Park on north side of 80, and pedal up the fireroad.
- near Boreal: I don't know how to get there from Boreal, since we did the HITG backward and ended our HITG ride by taking the DLRT. However, I believe that it's fairly easy to find.

One way to ride it (see Bigtrees ride) is to park a car off of 80 at the bottom, and drive back up to Boreal to basically shuttle the DLRT. It's mostly down with some ups along the way. i'm guessing that it's 80% single track, some of which is downright awesome. Enjoy.
Zorg,

Thanks for the information; this kind of support and access to data is the best part of Mtbr.com!!!:D

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Me and 19 of my closest friends will be in Truckee next Thursday through Sunday. We have riders of all levels and will be breaking off into riding groups based on what each group wants to do. HITG is on the list of rides if trail conditions permit. You are welcome to join us on any of the rides. PM me for details.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Big Snow HITG

I hear its 10 days from being rideable -but would like to know more if you go

BTW - the best access & logistical loop is to park at the gas station by the Highway exit (I think its Soda Springs exit) then warm up on Old Donner Highway. Take a left at Snow lab dirt road & climb to Boreal. Go East through Boreal Parking lot & take underpass for Hwy 80. Climb the hill to the parking area for PCT & take dirt rd to HITG trailhead. This way, when you finish its all downhill to your car.

Bring your snowshoes.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Fairfaxian said:
I . This way, when you finish its all downhill to your car.

Bring your snowshoes.
A minor quibble, but it is definitely not downhill to your car at the finish. The trail dumps you out onto fireroad, which quickly turns into a series of uphill fireroad before you get back onto up/down singletrack back to the car.

Just sayin'. Wouldn't want anyone to get too excited. :thumbsup:

fp

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
yep Finch platte - that was an outstanding description of the end of HITG! My first time there I was expecting the "downhill" to the cars. NOT. My GF was hating me by the time we go to the end of the ride! :)

After the main climb up to the ridge/viewpoint, does anyone know how much snow is on the trail down those switchbacks and in the meadows below? That rocky stretch is one of my favorite parts of HITG and the meadows were a bit swampy when we did it late in the summer last time. I was thinking they could still be frozen/really mushy!

Looking forward to the 4th - 6th! Let msrutzie know if you will be joining us up there for some rides.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
that's exactly where the snow would be

ATBScott said:
After the main climb up to the ridge/viewpoint, does anyone know how much snow is on the trail down those switchbacks and in the meadows below? That rocky stretch is one of my favorite parts of HITG and the meadows were a bit swampy when we did it late in the summer last time. I was thinking they could still be frozen/really mushy!
That's usually the last place on the trail where the snow melts out.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
yeah Brah, that's what I was kinda thinking... Maybe we start at Soda Springs and do and out-and-back... (Up those darn stairs...?) Either that or I bring a BOG box of screws and we start makin' snow tires while we're driinking one night up there!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
that's an idea

ATBScott said:
yeah Brah, that's what I was kinda thinking... Maybe we start at Soda Springs and do and out-and-back... (Up those darn stairs...?) Either that or I bring a BOG box of screws and we start makin' snow tires while we're driinking one night up there!
though I won't be joining y'all for the 4th, as I have to go to Whistler (!!)

You guys could do an out-and-back on the from Tahoe Donner on the Donner Lake Rim Trail to HITG. Also, you'll be able to ride from Total Downer to the Emigrant Trail on singletrack as well.

What you guys should really do is the TRT from Tahoe Meadows (mt rose), and work in the Flume. That section of TRT is my one of my all-time favorites.

Last Weekend, we did TRT from Brockway Summit (267) to Bridgetender in Tahoe City... 19+ miles of classic Sierra singletrack. Better yet to take that section of the TRT to Watson Lake, then hook up to Missing Link and Western States, which then drops you on the Truckee River Bike Trail btw Squaw and Alpine -- and then you're still only a few minutes away from beers at the Bridgetender in Tahoe City

·
Paper or plastic?
10,693 Posts
Brah said:
though I won't be joining y'all for the 4th, as I have to go to Whistler (!!)

You guys could do an out-and-back on the from Tahoe Donner on the Donner Lake Rim Trail to HITG. Also, you'll be able to ride from Total Downer to the Emigrant Trail on singletrack as well.

What you guys should really do is the TRT from Tahoe Meadows (mt rose), and work in the Flume. That section of TRT is my one of my all-time favorites.

Last Weekend, we did TRT from Brockway Summit (267) to Bridgetender in Tahoe City... 19+ miles of classic Sierra singletrack. Better yet to take that section of the TRT to Watson Lake, then hook up to Missing Link and Western States, which then drops you on the Truckee River Bike Trail btw Squaw and Alpine -- and then you're still only a few minutes away from beers at the Bridgetender in Tahoe City
Isn't it better to go up Western States to Watson Lake and then take the trail made of shale (don't know the name) that drops you right back in town?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
zorg said:
Isn't it better to go up Western States to Watson Lake and then take the trail made of shale (don't know the name) that drops you right back in town?
The trail made of shale is the TRT ;)

Brockway to Tahoe City or missing link is the fun way with a net loss of elevation when done as a point to point, add another 4 miles of downhill if you start at Martis Peak :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yeah, the shale is the TRT

TahoeBC said:
The trail made of shale is the TRT ;)
Brockway to Tahoe City or missing link is the fun way with a net loss of elevation when done as a point to point, add another 4 miles of downhill if you start at Martis Peak :thumbsup:
which some may find painful, but we found it a lot of fun.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Mean while...

Fires cause cancellation of Western States 100

There was concern that the Westville Fire could reach the Foresthill Divide Road by the weekend and there was a possibility that the Peavine Fire could spread to Mosquito Ridge Road and Last Chance, limiting access in and out of those areas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.