Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you that have sports cars with a hitch to tote your bike or know someone that does, has anyone ever heard of any issues with using a T2 style rack on sports cars and have the bike too close to the exhuast pipe. Perhaps even cause damage to the bike??

I have noticed with some cars that using such a bike rack could potentiolly put the bike tires right in fron of the exhaust. Another possible issue would be dragging the bike/rack on dips of some sort..

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Sportrack

A buddy of mine had a Sportrack and a custom exhaust on his Jeep Cherokee and when we arrived in Sedona for a ride the combo resulted in a crispy flat tire. It was easy to remedy by puting a turn down end in place of the straight tip.

·
slow
7,686 Posts
I used to have a shop in a resort area about an hour from the nearest large metropolitan area. Lots of destination bikers came up every weekend, and almost every weekend I had people come in with cooked tires. Back then, it was from trunk mounted racks, but same idea. Usually the fix involved a new tube and tire, but I saw a few that damaged the rim, as well. In many cases, adjusting the rack would solve the problem. In others, we mounted the bikes so that the front wheel was in front of the exhaust, and then removed the front wheel and placed it in the back seat or hung it on the rack.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I had one that mounted to the trunk of my sedan. It put the tire directly in front of the exhaust. I think I fried two tires before I figured out what was wrong. The solution was to position the bike differently on the rack so there was no conflict.

Now I have a roof rack and I must say that it is far superior to the trunk thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.