Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The receiver hitch on our new Subaru Ascent is located behind the bumper, so it's up pretty high. Our Thule T2 has about a 12" rise from the hitch to the wheel trays. This puts the handlebars and seats higher than the roofline of the vehicle, which is really high. It's also more difficult for my wife to load bikes on the rack.

What 2-4 bike hitches have a lower rise than the Thule?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the extender is a good idea-----it may push the rack out further than ideal from the bumper but any welding shop could shorten your current tail and weld on the new---for probably 50 bucks--nice low cost solution

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
The receiver hitch on our new Subaru Ascent is located behind the bumper, so it's up pretty high. Our Thule T2 has about a 12" rise from the hitch to the wheel trays. This puts the handlebars and seats higher than the roofline of the vehicle, which is really high. It's also more difficult for my wife to load bikes on the rack.

What 2-4 bike hitches have a lower rise than the Thule?
I also have a Subaru Ascent and I have the 1up rack. My bars are still over the roof line and I just put my dropper in the low position. It does put my bike in the perfect position that I can see through the front triangle and still see cars behind me.

I like that the hitch is higher because it keeps the wheels away from the exhaust so they don't melt :) (carbon)

If you need a picture let me know.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
May buy an advent soon. I was wondering how high my wheels would be above exhaust (carbon rims). Sounds like it will have plenty of distance.

I was down in it at first due to 4 cylinder, but after a few test drives, and that it reaches max torque at likely 2000 rpm, I became a fan. I think tongue is rated 500, so good to go there, too.

Overall, what are your impression s of the Ascent?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
May buy an advent soon. I was wondering how high my wheels would be above exhaust (carbon rims). Sounds like it will have plenty of distance.

I was down in it at first due to 4 cylinder, but after a few test drives, and that it reaches max torque at likely 2000 rpm, I became a fan. I think tongue is rated 500, so good to go there, too.

Overall, what are your impression s of the Ascent?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
I've been very happy with it. It's much more sporty and zippier than the competition that's out there. That's for sure.

I'm not sure if you are a member of the IMBA or ASPCA, but if you are you may be eligible for Subaru's VIP pricing which is certainly worth it.

As far as impressions:

I feel like the Subaru Ascent is the best bang for your buck.
(AWD, Fuel Economy, comfort, room, Android Auto/Apple Carplay)

Official accessories are available online for pretty cheap and below MSRP so you can add the rubber seatbacks, roof rails, etc.

It feels like a big car, but nimble. It's definitely not sluggish, the power is there and sometimes I feel like the throttle is too touchy.

Super smooth ride and quiet cabin even on the highway. One of the smoothest rides I've ever experienced in an SUV. Very minimal body roll from the low center of gravity.

It also feels like the most premium Subaru to date.

Mine also came with 2 years free maintenance and I got a great deal on the extended warranty. If you are going to buy, let me know I can tell you who to talk to about that.

As far as competition, I think the best looking is the new Kia Telluride, but the v6 and fuel economy isn't very impressive. Honda Pilots are boats and ugly beyond belief. Highlanders are great, but as with most Toyotas very dated. Even the new generation that just came out really didn't have much improvements.

The Ascent ticked all my boxes.
AWD
Great Fuel Economy (especially highway)
Great Hitch placement
Android Auto
Bang for your buck (2yr maintenance, warranty, etc)
Current tech

My complaints are kind of personal:
- Lower ride height than my Tacoma
- 4cyl Turbo gets shitty gas mileage in the city (stop and go traffic - think LA)
- I feel like my size 14 feet have a harder time pivoting from brake to gas/vice versa, but I'm also really tall
- Wish lower trims had the option for cooled/ventilated seats
- Wish it had start stop for even better fuel economy
- Looks like an Outback XL

Overall, I've been very happy. I don't think it's my dream vehicle by any means, but it fits my current needs. My hope...is that Toyota wakes up and starts innovating a bit and combines that with their reliability. The next generation/platform 4runner should come within the next 2 or 3 years and I'm hoping they increase the space, tech, and fuel economy.

PM me if you have any other questions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.