Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Jeep Wrangler and need a hitch rack that has 12" from the pin to the upright. Something to carry 2 bikes is fine. I know the Allen will fit the bill - but does anyone else have any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are several brands that have come up with solutions for that. Here are a couple links to the more popular ones.

Hollywood Road Runner 4-bike Rack with Extended Bar

The following two need to be purchased together, but that's my favorite setup. We typically give people a deal when they get both at the same time and I'm sure other companies would as well.
Softride Dura Bike Rack - 2"
Softride Extended Hitch Assembly

Both are nice racks. I'm not familiar with the Allen, so I can't comment on that one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you're set on a hitch rack then you can disregard this but I have a wrangler and I have a back tire rack on mine. Thule and Yakima both make very nice ones then there are some cheaper ones too. My thule holds 2 bikes and is kinda nice because I can open the back door and the bikes swing out so I can have access to the back storage.

Brandon

·
Registered
890 Posts
The Saris Cycle On is probably the one that has the most length there. I prefer the racks like T2, Cycle On, Hookup/Holdup (instead of ones that your bike "hangs" on) but the Saris Cycle On has the longest extend without using an extender. My buddy has one so I'll ask him to measure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '07 Wrangler Unlimited and have a carrier from Mopar accessories. I think they are around $250. I got lucky and found this one for $80 used locally. Holds two bikes and can fold forward to open tailgate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to order an Allen 303D - Spare Tire Bike Rack. My Wrangler is a 2 door and this way I can still swing open the back. I never carry more than 2 bikes and not on a regular basis. Anyone else tried the Allen Spare Tire Rack???

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a Yakima 4 bike hitch mount carrier...IT WONT WORK. Its a good rack, but the hinge extends upwards far enough that the spare hits it if you try to open the back door. You can buy a drop extension...but I would look elsewhere.

Mikey

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I'm using a Reese Hitch Mount, I had to move the upright out and it works, but it bounces/wobbles around. I probably could get by using this, since I don't really transport my bike that often.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have a Swagman 4-bike hitch rack that I modified to fit a Jeep. The Jeep owner that I was going to sell it to backed out at the last minute and it has been sitting in my garage ever since. The only way I would sell it would be local pickup because shipping would cost an arm and a leg. If you live near Raleigh, NC, we could meet.

http://www.swagman.net/newImages/Bike Carrier Systems/Hitch Mount/4 BIKE RACKS/64450/64450.jpg

I broke three drill bits trying to drill through the thick steel on the rack.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Forget about the rear and stick it up front. I've been carrying my bikes up front for about 3+ years now... works great, no worries about getting rear-ended and I trust my distance off the bumper of the guy in front of me... more than I trust the person's distance behind me. Here's a blog I posted on building it if you want more details.

The only time I've ever worried about trashing the bike was when a deer ran out in front of me.

I fabricated the rack you see in the photo, but Hollywood Racks makes a rack that can be modified very easily to work up front too.

I've also got a swing away I'm going to modify to carry a bike in between the tire and the Jeep's tailgate. Here's a blog I've posted on it. Need to get back into this project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.