Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a hitch adapter for my car for christmas, (class 2, 1-1/4"). I am looking for a two bike wheel mounted hitch rack that can hold my 29er. My local bike shop got me interested in a Saris CycleOn but its kinda steep at $365--but I dont want a chinsy piece of crap that will ruin my $1800 bike. Are those prices accurate, or was I just looking at the top of the line?

Thanks,

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Whelp...

aKore said:
I got a hitch adapter for my car for christmas, (class 2, 1-1/4"). I am looking for a two bike wheel mounted hitch rack that can hold my 29er. My local bike shop got me interested in a Saris CycleOn but its kinda steep at $365--but I dont want a chinsy piece of crap that will ruin my $1800 bike. Are those prices accurate, or was I just looking at the top of the line?

Thanks,
I have a Performance Bike XPort Flatbed. Its a decent rack, but it does have quirks. The big one is that there is a hook that comes down on the top tube. Potentially, it can leave marks on your frame if dirt got under there and you have top run cables. I'm not sure how you think a bike rack can ruin your bike, apart from dropping it on the freeway.

Anyway, the only real rub I had with it is that it got dirty under the top hook clamp, and it started creeping up by itself. I took it apart and cleaned it once and it was fine. The second time, I took it back to Performance, and they just exchanged it for a new one... no receipt needed. The one good thing about Performance Bike is the exchange policy. If this is a big worry for you, you can just bungee the hook around the top tube as an extra credit safety measure. I also put some light grease in the knob nuts and clamp bolts, since I saw some signs of wear in there after six months of use.

Overall, I've been happy with mine. For a buck thirty, you can't beat it. I got mine for $120 out the door with a coupon.

Here is a pic of my kid hauler cargo bike on the rack.

·
Registered
152 Posts
SanDiegan420 said:
what is that thing you have on the top tube (above the top tube but below the hook)
it looks like its one of those adapters and hes using it so the hook doesnt damage his bike and or hit the cables

aKore said:
it doesnt fold up against the car, so that bike rack is not a possibility.
you should list the requirements in your first post. we do not read minds here LOL
i have the T2 thule rack and love it, its $$ but its never failed me and it folds up against the car and also folds down so you can access the trunk/hatch

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oh, that's...

SanDiegan420 said:
what is that thing you have on the top tube (above the top tube but below the hook)
... the Wee Ride Mounting bracket. My kiddie seat bolts to that bar above the top tube. Best baby seat EVAR!

And yeah, it doesn't fold up against the car. but who cares? When you're done, unbolt it from the hitch and throw it in the trunk. Takes about 30 seconds... tops. It does fold down away from the car when you pull the top pin out, and the horizontal wheel brackets do fold up.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Dunno why that would be

SanDiegan420 said:
haha nice setup with the kid.

i am considering one of those XPORT racks too, but supposedly the 1.25>2" adapter is very cheap and all the reviews say they dont recommend it with a 2" hitch

(i have a 2" hitch)
It comes with a nylon adapter. It also comes with a threaded hitch pin. Just thread it through the rack and snug it down with a wrench.... no sway, no slop!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you all, I've pretty much decided the ability to fold up isn't worth another $250. Could you do me a favor though and take a sideview picture of the setup with a bike on it? Also, could you post a pic of it all folded up and not attached to the car? Thanks alot, and from what I've seen the rack is great unless you have a 2" hitch.
As far as security goes, would these two accessories work? http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A30901Lhp-Hitch-Bolt-Lock/dp/B000UUGFAO http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A32018-Locking-Hitch-Drive/dp/B000UUK27Q/ref=pd_sim_sg_4 But at $16 a piece for those knobs, I might as well just use a cable lock. Quick question, are the top tube grips on different runners or are they on the same so for example the inside clamp could not be lower than the outer, or visa-versa. If the inside clamp could go highers than the outside that would be fine as well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At $127 the Xport rack at performance bike is looking really good now(sale ends tomorrow though!). Hehe, save more money so I can get better singlespeed parts ;)
Anyone else have this rack?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SanDiegan420 said:
haha nice setup with the kid.

i am considering one of those XPORT racks too, but supposedly the 1.25>2" adapter is very cheap and all the reviews say they dont recommend it with a 2" hitch

(i have a 2" hitch)
Just get any ol' 1.25" to 2" adapter at a hardware store.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
zactly...

aKore said:
Thank you all, I've pretty much decided the ability to fold up isn't worth another $250. Could you do me a favor though and take a sideview picture of the setup with a bike on it? Also, could you post a pic of it all folded up and not attached to the car? Thanks alot, and from what I've seen the rack is great unless you have a 2" hitch.
As far as security goes, would these two accessories work? http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A30901Lhp-Hitch-Bolt-Lock/dp/B000UUGFAO http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A32018-Locking-Hitch-Drive/dp/B000UUK27Q/ref=pd_sim_sg_4 But at $16 a piece for those knobs, I might as well just use a cable lock. Quick question, are the top tube grips on different runners or are they on the same so for example the inside clamp could not be lower than the outer, or visa-versa. If the inside clamp could go highers than the outside that would be fine as well.
Thanks!
Both hooks are on the same vertical beam. However, the two hooks are of different hook length, and they are easy to pop off and change positions if you need to make them fit.

As far as the locking knobs go, they would prolly work fine. They are just standard metric threaded bolts, so as long as you get the right thread size and pitch, they'll be fine. Prolly M8s, IIRC.

However, I never trusted the security of these. I use a kryptonite fatty cable wrapped around the hitch receiver under the car, and a good U-Lock. THose little cheezy locks are way too easy to defeat wtih a screwdriver, a hammer and vice grips.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have the rack and i love it....super easy to use and the hook on top has never damaged either of my bikes in the more than one year of use i have had it. what does it take but 10 seconds to wipe down the hook and your top tube with your hand if you are really that concerned? i picked mine up at performance for $120 i believe (always mention the internet or lower price and where you saw it)... p4c's

i only carry one bike so i don't have the extra attachments on, though the rack is for two bikes.

·
Braaaapp!
477 Posts
Another Xport user here. I think we've had ours a bit over a year now, probably used it 25-30 times. Works well for our needs, I've had no issues with it. For longer trips I put a tie-diwn around the bikes and carrier in case the hooks work loose (most trips are just a 5-6 miles to get to where the old lady wants to start the ride). It's never come loose, but it gives a better sense of security when you aren't worried about loosing a bike on the freeway.

For security I throw a heavy duty cable lock thru the hitch's safety chain loops and wrap it all around the rack, or the rack + bikes if they are on there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
aKore said:
At $127 the Xport rack at performance bike is looking really good now(sale ends tomorrow though!). Hehe, save more money so I can get better singlespeed parts ;)
Anyone else have this rack?
I've been looking at this rack too, except it's the SportRack-branded version. etrailer.com has it for $135, and they also sell the SportRack locks for bike-to-rack and rack-to-car. Free shipping if the order is over $150. You may want to check it out - looks like performance has it for $150 right now.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Has anyone tried the Hollywood rack http://www.hollywoodracks.com/hitch-racks/prorider-hitch-rack.htm#pics I have a 1 1/4" hitch and I'd like a fork mount rack.

I'm currently running the Saris and although its great for my road bike it doesn't handle mountain tires that are over 2.1" that well. As well, the Saris rubs my bumper when folded up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Econoline said:
Look at the Softride Versa http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/versa_rack
There's also reviews and pictures of it in this forum. Works well with 29er's, folds up out of the way, and is much lighter than the T2.
Lighter is good but note that the softride is the same online price as the T2.

I just splurged on the Thule T2 and I will agree, it is pretty heavy. Haven't weighed it but im guessing around 60 lbs.

It is built solid enough to jump up and down on. I love the rack but still think $360 (local bike shop price) is too much.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Softride was $250 delivered when I bought it, and was less expensive than T2.

T2 is 13 lbs heavier than Softride, 37 vs 50 lbs.

The big problem I had with the T2 is that the "support arm v-notch must be firmly seated against the tire and brake, or fork." and it always ended up against my brake, and damaged it.

Having tried both, the Softride works best for me.

SanDiegan420 said:
Lighter is good but note that the softride is the same online price as the T2.

I just splurged on the Thule T2 and I will agree, it is pretty heavy. Haven't weighed it but im guessing around 60 lbs.

It is built solid enough to jump up and down on. I love the rack but still think $360 (local bike shop price) is too much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.