Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Im thinking to upgrade my Trunk Rack for the Kuat sherpa 2.0 but I can't decide if go with 2" or 1.25"? it is for a Bmw 220, also I think I might get a High Low adapter to rise up a little from ground.
(Image from internet to give you and idea)
Any thoughts or experience?
I only transport 1 bike and it weights 11.5kg
Thanks !

· Registered
317 Posts
Im having it made from scratch, so yes the 2" is an option, in that case it will be your advice, to go with the 2"?
The 2" would be more stable than the 1.25", so since you are getting the hitch custom made, definitely go with the 2". I had a Kuat Transfer V2 and it comes more straight out the back than the 1up (which has a rise for each addidtional bike already). With the 1up you may not need the hi/lo adapter. I would avoid an adapater if possible, but that's just me.

I had the arms that hold the tire fail multiple times on my Kuat. The ratcheting mechanism would not hold tension, and would release while I was driving, and another member here has photos of his Kuat doingthe same thing. I now have a 1up, but I'm not sure if that is an option for you. I think a single sided tire holder is not as sturdy as the dual, and you can see Kuat's new rack now is dual sided...

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,077 Posts
View attachment 1943665
Hi Im thinking to upgrade my Trunk Rack for the Kuat sherpa 2.0 but I can't decide if go with 2" or 1.25"? it is for a Bmw 220, also I think I might get a High Low adapter to rise up a little from ground.
(Image from internet to give you and idea)
Any thoughts or experience?
I only transport 1 bike and it weights 11.5kg
Thanks !
1.125 is kind of self-limiting in the right way. Chances are if you were able to get a 2" on there and a 3 or 4 bike-rack, you'd be exceeding the designed tongue weight (weight on the actual receiver) with more than 2 bikes. Nothing wrong with 1.125 if you are going to limit to two bikes, which in this case is a good idea.

Reactions: Dsosamx

· Registered
10 Posts
edit. I just realized that the op already bought the rack. I guess this is for everyone else.

FWIW, here's a side view pic of the 2" kuat sherpa on my wife's sedan.

Note, we don't use this setup often, as this rack normally is on my suv. Her car has a 1.25" receiver, so I added a doohickey to make it fit a 2". I'm not thrilled with how far it sticks out, but ground clearance is acceptable 9" still, offroading is not permitted. :)

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,091 Posts
edit. I just realized that the op already bought the rack. I guess this is for everyone else.

Note, we don't use this setup often, as this rack normally is on my suv. Her car has a 1.25" receiver, so I added a doohickey to make it fit a 2". I'm not thrilled with how far it sticks out, but ground clearance is acceptable 9" still, offroading is not permitted. :) View attachment 1944425
We tried that and the wobble was troubling besides how it sticks out and with how hilly roads are here would be a constant struggle.
Even without that adapter we have to be very carefully in a Mazda 3 also regarding driveways etc..

I would go 2" if possible.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
I purchased one for my 328I, 1.25" . Just gotta watch how low it hangs.i bump the hitch on sharp transitions periodically, not enough to really damage it though. If it is custom make it as high as possible. Had there been a 2" option I probably would have gone for it, but really a couple of bikes is all I'll carry and mine does not rock at all. Rack might have something to do with it as well.

· All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts

Note, we don't use this setup often, as this rack normally is on my suv. Her car has a 1.25" receiver, so I added a doohickey to make it fit a 2". I'm not thrilled with how far it sticks out, but ground clearance is acceptable 9" still, offroading is not permitted. :) View attachment 1944425
That's a lot of leverage for a small hitch...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
10 Posts
We tried that and the wobble was troubling besides how it sticks out and with how hilly roads are here would be a constant struggle.
<snip>
yeah... I'm supposed to get a 1.25" anti-rattle device, but too cheap to buy one. Especially since I use the SUV for 99.99% of all rack-related activities. Now I'm waiting for SWMBO to ask why we spent the money to put a hitch on her car...

That's a lot of leverage for a small hitch...
While taking the picture, I noticed the same thing and would tend to agree with you. probably won't be using the Kuat on this car again. Luckily, my Mach2 arrived, and it seems to have a shorter arm length!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.