Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike rack that is a 2" reciever and I want to use this as opposed to getting a new one.

My problem is my new car is a Camry and it can only be equiped with a 1 1/4" hitch mount. So I got that installed and I got a converter that goes from 1 1/4" to 2". Now my problem is that it sticks out about 8" or so farther than normal and it seems to be kind of wobbly, side to side and up to down.

Has anyone ever done this before? Do you know if its safe or not? Basically I just want your input on it.

FYI, I used it today like that and drove 2.5 hours with it. It was fine but as I said it was wobbly..

·
Registered
90 Posts
My brother has a hitch mount rack for his jetta, and we were a little worried about putting our bikes on it at first cause it seemed kind of wobbly. Then we figured that if there was no way we could shake it loose or make it move further than the little wobble it had, it would be fine. Turns out that now, after he's had it for a year, it's been an amazing bike hauler, never any problems, and it's so quick and easy to load the bikes on it.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
My hitch mount carrier has always wobbled like that. I didn't like it that so I bought a pair of black nylon motorcycle type strap tie downs (get them at wally world) and hooked one on each side of the carrier and attached the other end to the bumper on the corresponding side. Doesn't move anywhere and I've been using that setup for about 5 years now.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have some friends that have the same situation with their Nissan Sentra, they carry two bikes on the hitch rack and two bikes on their roof rack. The hitch rack sways a little, but they haven't had any problems, other than having to be careful to not bottom out going into and out of driveways.

I love my hitch rack, it mounts in less than a minute whenever I need it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Thule and I just assumed hat all hitch racks came with a lockdown bolt. The Thule has a 13/16 bolt that mounts behind the locking pin and when tightened down it has NO wobble at all. While pulling on it you can rock the truck without moving the rack in its mount.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thule rules! I like their setup and not much wobble. If it did, I would do as has already been suggested and get some tie down straps or bungee cords and as outdoorsnut suggested, anchor the rack more to the bumper to take away excess movement. -GT2005

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
If the wobble is just where the rack stubs into the receiver, shouldn't be a problem, and the solutions already mentioned are good.

If the receiver iteself (the 1-1/4" that attaches to the car) wobbles, then that sounds like trouble.

The bigger danger of a hitch mount rack is going through curb cuts and dips and having the bike wheels drag the ground and cause damage to the bikes. Happened to me plenty before I found the best way to haul 3 bikes and 3 people.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
FWIW I had the exact same setup on the back of my 03 Ford Explorer and drove about 2000 mile to Colorado and back. You will not even notice the wiggling back there after a while. If I remember correctly the 1 1/4 inch is rated for 2000 lbs. Your bikes and rack should be fine. JJ

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool thanks guys. I just defiinitly wiggles alot and I get nervous with they way my Jamis has to sit on there. Its a little more awkward than the other bikes b/c its a 15" frame and the arms on the rack are to wide for it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.