Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When suspension forks came out some held off, but eventually almost everyone went FS.
Then, as technology advanced full suspension begin to take over as well. The 29er paralleled or created an "old school" revival. Will the rigids and hardtails eventually give way and decrease among 29ers or will the larger wheel advantages carve a permanent niche for the purist?

·
anti-corruption
116 Posts
Then there were those of us who have never left rigid 26ers... and they will be even less inclined to go to suspension or FS on a 29er.
I think there will be a lot of those who were FS on 26ers going hardtail on 29ers. They may not ever want a FS 29er.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I love that with so many options and combinations possible (big wheels vs small wheels, long travel vs short travel vs rigid, geared vs single vs 1x9, etc) every possible type of terrain can have its own perfect bike.

It's interesting that here in Vancouver very few people ride 29ers. Personally I'm fascinated by them but the concept just hasn't caught on. Conversely 44-lb DH bikes don't really make sense in 29er land either. Different bikes for different places. So cool.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Back in the day, bike whels were big. They got extinct, for which-ever reason. Perhaps kids getting bikes?
Today's Fisher hardtails may well be the best XC bikes ever built. But they are also the closest, in terms of geometry, to those ancient pre-road bikes. I say pre, as roads were rare in the late 18's. Every smith built his own bikes, that's thousands of craftmen working on geometries, trying to make their bikes better riding than all the others. Yet I don't think any of them settled on 38mm fork offset as we've been stuck with in mountainbiking till Fisher went 51m recently.
Some marathon racers use thei 29" FS bikes to win big races. It may well tak anothe 5 or 10 years for a top-10 XC Worldcup rider to give it a fair shot. Things go slow that way, no-one's jumping in head first. Improvement all the way, but preferably one mm at a time.

Sealent inside tubes may seem like a novelty, but it was almost there beore the tube itself. Decades an decades it's been there.
Swept bars, another of my interests, were pretty much the choice for every bicycle, till road racing rules got fixed, and MTB's for some reason go fitted with broomsticks. Neither were ever really comfortable to me. Yet, it will take some decades more till the broomsticks become a raity on the bike shop floor. People want what was hot last year, plus some features, minus some grams, in a new color. Cycling's evolution really is the slowest foreplay known to mankind. We've got the basic picture (2 wheels), we know the vague proximity of where the best results can be optained, but it doesn't let itsel be read like a manual. Trial and error, and with the worst critics following every step of the way with disbelief. Don't expect the perfect bike to be on sale any time soon. One will be able to recognize it as being hated by the majority of MTBR for at least 5 years :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.