Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the history and origins of Moots? I'm a fan of the company and used to read into their bikes back in the day. I also could have sworn that when the Trek STP came out and MBA gave it a glowing review for the pioneering design, someone from Moots (I keep thinking Chris Moots, though my memory is fading) wrote a retort and got blasted.

One thing that sparked this was thinking there was a guy named "Moots" in the company, but I can not remember.

When/who started Moots?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'll make a trip down that way this year sometime and would love to talk to the guys and check out the facility- and maybe hint towards slacker headangles ;)

Those guys are very passionate about what they do and they don't make that much money but they run a clean ship and the passion and pride they possess is very refreshing!

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
JC, that wikipedia entry is pretty thin on information (useless). Moots was started by Kent Eriksen and they started out just building some beautifully lugged steel bikes. There was never any fleshy "Moots"; the name (and their logo) came from a rubber pencil eraser-topper alligator Kent had as a kid that he named "Mr. Moots".

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
That's right, no continued relationship. Kent sold the company and then stayed on for a while to help with the transition. He's now a competitor to his former company. I think Moots just got too big and Kent was spending more time managing the place instead of talking to customers and building bikes. His new operation is very small and personal. You actually get Kent or his wife on the phone when you call. The bikes that Kent builds are beautiful. Very Moots-like, but totally custom.

·
Registered
1 Posts
History of motors

Hi,
Motor principal is electrical energy to mechanical energy force.Those guys are very passionate about what they do and they don't make that much money but they run a clean ship and the passion and pride they possess is very refreshing!
===================================================================
reena
New Mexico Drug Addiction

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Flyer said:
Yeah, what kind of crap is this? Do we have a drug problem on the Moots forum? :)
Yep Dam Bro, she was a pretty random post for a first post.... Whoa, pretty much tops it for sure...:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't think Kent" makes" the bikes as he took one of his ace welders with him and has him actually lay down the welds. Last time I was by the place it did look like Kent gets his hands dirty with the design, tube cutting/miters and such however.
Moots is more of a bigger machine, where Kent is a small house operation. I like them both.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Just because you hire a welder dosen't mean that you are not "making" bikes. The welder dosn't size the bike, or even know how to design, and fit a rider to a bike, he's just joining the tubes that Kent put's in the jig. That system has the experenced fitter/designer putting togerther your ride, and moving onto the next rider's bike while the welder does his job. Much like an architect/builder relationship. I know many talented architects, but I don't want them trimming out my custom home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.