Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone, This is a last call for someone interested in getting this spacer:

To fit s-work crank onto BB92 it's necessary a 5mm Hirth extensions like the one below. I'm ordering a couple very soon with Mattias from Experimental Prototype, I already have a few users confirmed and interested, if someone else would like one, please PM you email address. The more people on the list, the cheaper it will be. We can have an idea about pricing once everybody is added to the list and Mattias can give us a quote accordingly.

IMG_1979.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Everyone, This is a last call for someone interested in getting this spacer:

To fit s-work crank onto BB92 it's necessary a 5mm Hirth extensions like the one below. I'm ordering a couple very soon with Mattias from Experimental Prototype, I already have a few users confirmed and interested, if someone else would like one, please PM you email address. The more people on the list, the cheaper it will be. We can have an idea about pricing once everybody is added to the list and Mattias can give us a quote accordingly.

View attachment 878440
Sounds like I'm too late as well! I have an sworks road crank, which has 68mm spindle connected, so I'm guessing I need at least one of these for 73mm mountain frame. What size spindle do you need for bb92?

Definetly interested in having one of these or may be two, please could you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a very good chance ill be having some made. Currently having the cnc programs made. I dont know what thickness you'll need for road cranks. If you can give me that ill see what I can do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok cool, I will measure them in a bit, I would imagine they are exactly the same just the length of the drive side spindle is different, I think?

I just measured my other lightning cranks, which have a 95mm spindle including the spacer, May be around 87-90mm without.

What length spindle would I need to make it fit the bb92?

just thought, is it 92mm ? :) that's why it's called bb92? Maybe?

my road crank spindle is 68mm, so may need a few of those spacers or one 25mm one and I'm sure I can get a longer bolt to go across it all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Outside spindle of crank is 29.8mm which fits the bb30 and the inner thickness of the crank spindle is 9mm.

the spacer thickness would need to be 6mm

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi. Have sent all the info through. To make different widths would just be a change in blank matwrial before they do the machining on each side. Im in need of it in a hurry as I have a new bike arriving. How did you arrive at 6mm. From what ive read for a mtb s works crank to go bb92 5mm is what you need. For the road cranks i wouldnt have any idea. I can link you to a website that apparently has made them for 45 euro

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok that's great please send me the link?

6mm is the thickness not the extra width spacer, the depth sorry. Didn't mean to confuse things. Yeh I'm in the process of ordering a new frame, but unsure exactly what type of BB to order, should write a new thread.

How are you managing to get them into a bb92? The spindle size is a fraction under 30mm to fit a 30mm bearing, from what I understand bb92 is designed to run with 24mm crank spindle.

I been researching for the last couple of days to try and find out what size spindle is used for an mtb sworks crank? Is it 73mm? Or wider again to account for chain line etc?

Please could you measure your sworks mtb crank for me? Spindle width.

·
Registered
126 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg Nice one I think I came across that thread before searching. I also used the hive cups with my lightning cranks to fit inside a 68mm BSA frame shell, completely forgot about this to be honest. I only came to install it yesterday been busy working away for months, so it's been sat inside my cupboard for almost a year.

Cranks feel amazing and after the install has given me some insight about my sworks road cranks and how they could be installed on another type of frame. Still a bit confused though what size spindle I need for the various formats like BB92 is this a 92mm shell? Also are most BSA frames made these days 73mm instead of 68mm?

If so those hive BB cups will only work with my current lightning cranks without bottom bracket spacers installed. The length of the spindle is around 95mm including the spacer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure about the bsa bbs but bb92 is generally 91.5 basically 92mm but the spec is 91.5. Go onto problem solvers website they have a bb spec sheet.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sanded down my PressFit bb92 (scott spark 10) to about 89mm and managed to fit the s-work MtB crank ...well, I'd say....don't try this at home if you don't want to loose your frame due to mistaken maneuvers.
Here is the home made tool for the job:
-I used an existing bb shell with a sand paper 80 in one side, a 30mm OD tube connecting to the other side also through a bb shell fitted on the frame, this gives 100% precision squaring things up, then with lots of patience, no distractions, starter turning the bb shell with the sand paper, took a lot of time to reach the proper length , total of 3mm was sanded down (1,5mm on each side).

I deserved two beers from my fridge afterwards for doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's really well done! How long did the whole process take to make the tool and grind the frame ?

By the way camp343 doesn't look like I can extend the bolt on my s-works cranks to be able to get a spacer in big enough.

Measured exactly with my vernier calliper and the spindle length is 70mm exactly, so way to short for any MTB BB format and the bolt it self only extends 12.5mm out of the drive side crank

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's really well done! How long did the whole process take to make the tool and grind the frame ?
Started digging stuff out on my garage until I found the right tubes and solution.
To sand down...I was veeeery cautious, taking some off, measuring, taking some more...did that for about 15 times...about 2h from making the tool and finding the right length.

You have to road version of this crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Soundbud. You should be able to replace the bolt. The bolt itself protrudes the through a hex bolt which should be removabke alowing you to put a longer length bolt in. Im still trying to gey my contacts tonmachune the joint. They taking there time. It is being squeezed in between work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did try and have a good look at it, I have put it away in the cupboard now. But it looked like it could not be removed, it seemed to be stuck in the position of inside the crank arm. Looked like it was sealed in during the manufacturing process. Are you sure that this bolt can be removed?

·
Registered
126 Posts
spacer width

hi i have another specialized carbon road crank and have studied it and i cannot remove the bolt to replace for a longer one.

but i would like to install this crank on a cyclocross bike so will need the 5mm spacer.

are you still ordering any?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts